Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-12-2014, 04:13 PM   #1

Jayco Pinnacle 38FLFS??

We're seriously kicking around the idea of purchasing one of these so I'm looking for advice, comments, gotchas, etc. on the 38FLFS. If you have this model or the 38FLSA, I'd love to hear from you since they're relatively close in terms of size, weight and features.

This is one big mama coming close to 41' and weighing in at hefty 2,200-2500 lbs dry pin weight. Obviously, I'm going to have to move up to a DRW to accommodate that type of weight.

Our ultimate goal is to full-time it but I see that being somewhat gradual since I have to downsize the home and eliminate a good deal of my stuff (tools, furniture, etc.). In the meantime, I've got to find a place to keep it while we figure out what we really need on-board. One thought is to actually move into it while we figure out the rest although that makes living more expensive... at least for a while. How have others done this?

Thanks folks for any constructive comments.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:50 PM   #2

My local dealer had a 38flfs in stock and we walked through it, beautiful! If I was going full time that would be the unit I'd pick.
bcmorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 10:51 AM   #3

Look at the GVWR. You will be close to that weight when you get everything in there especially if you are full-timing! That is a lot of weight, even for a DRW vehicle, close to 16,000 pounds I believe. Also, that pin weightwill be close to or better than 3000 pounds by the time you get everything in your rig. The pin weight on my 2011 Pinnacle was 3550 lbs.

djalbrec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 04:23 PM   #4

I've been looking at the Pinnacle vs the Eagle Premier.
1.) The shower in the Pinnacle has a low shower door so water will splash out very easily where as the Eagle has a residential shower / tub which was very roomy for a 6' 2" 330# person.
2.) I despise the glass bowl sink in the bathroom (this alone is enough for me to not buy the Pinnacle).
3.) The price difference between the 2 are BIG. I think you're paying more for the name "Pinnacle". IMO
4.) I like the dinette area in the Pinnacle vs no slide for dinning in the Eagle.
I checked with RV Direct for pricing for the 2 and they bar far were cheaper than any dealer I had quote them for us.

2016 Pinnacle 36REQS
2022 Ford F-450 6.7 4x4 CC LB Dually
Mike & Chelle, My kids when they decide to go with us.
MikeNChelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 08:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by djalbrec View Post
Look at the GVWR. You will be close to that weight when you get everything in there especially if you are full-timing! That is a lot of weight, even for a DRW vehicle, close to 16,000 pounds I believe. Also, that pin weightwill be close to or better than 3000 pounds by the time you get everything in your rig. The pin weight on my 2011 Pinnacle was 3550 lbs.
Thanks for the sanity check. You're right about the GVWR. It's very close to 16k lbs. The DRW I'm looking at can accommodate the pin weight even at 3.5k lbs but I've got to make sure the GCVWR is well within limits.

Old 11-13-2014, 08:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNChelle View Post
1.) The shower in the Pinnacle has a low shower door so water will splash out very easily where as the Eagle has a residential shower / tub which was very roomy for a 6' 2" 330# person.
2.) I despise the glass bowl sink in the bathroom (this alone is enough for me to not buy the Pinnacle).
3.) The price difference between the 2 are BIG. I think you're paying more for the name "Pinnacle". IMO
4.) I like the dinette area in the Pinnacle vs no slide for dinning in the Eagle.
I checked with RV Direct for pricing for the 2 and they bar far were cheaper than any dealer I had quote them for us.
Thanks! I too hate the glass bowl sinks. I'll take your advice and check out the the Premier model. And yes, RV Direct so far is offering the best prices.

Old 11-13-2014, 08:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNChelle View Post
Are you looking at an older unit. The 2015 on JAYCO'S web site has a regular sink in the FLFS. As far as the shower we had that type in the SENECA and never had any water on the floor.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:04 AM   #8

I went back last night and looked at all of the photos of the 38FLFS and didn't see the glass sink but I do remember seeing it on one of the units some dealer had for sale online. Perhaps Grumpy is on to something and this was a feature they changed back to the more sensible regular sink. Ditto on the shower... we have one in our current Eagle and it's been just fine and no leaking over/around the door.

Old 11-14-2014, 08:21 AM   #9

The only problem in my opinion with the front living , and this applies to all manufactures is the basement storage. Very small for full timing.
RICK03HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 08:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICK03HD View Post
The only problem in my opinion with the front living , and this applies to all manufactures is the basement storage. Very small for full timing.
But there is more inside storage, at least in the FLSA, with a lot of it in the BR especially above the closet so it helps counteract the pin weight.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:30 AM   #11

And thinking about whether or not to include the generator, I can see how that would also cut down on outside storage. Do you full timers that have one find the generator to be a useful benefit? I can see where it would be really useful for boondocking...

Old 11-14-2014, 01:17 PM   #12

I ordered it in the FLSA since it will allow us to run the air for an hour or so before we arrive at a CG and have it cool before we start settting up as well as lunch stops. I realize the extra insulation should help, but I didn't want to take a chance. We're closer to 1/2 timing than full timing. Weight wise it's either the geny or a bunch of stuff so I think it's a wash.
Old 11-14-2014, 02:00 PM   #13

That's a few good reasons right there. Thank you for the input.

BTW, what size truck are you going to be pulling your FLSA with?

Old 11-14-2014, 02:19 PM   #14

My unit is similar to this in weight and dimesions and definitely think a Dually is in order.

A couple of suggestions that you might consider.

On my previous unit I had a similar kitchen as in this model you are looking and there was never enough counter space. If you are going to full time you are going to want space to prep and put stuff so check with DW on that one. Second is the seating for the TV. You are always going to be looking at it from angle. This would bring me to the 38FLSA if only a Pinnacle.

Where I think Pinnacles miss the mark is with ODK's. You have to offer a model with this feature IMHO.

The Eagle 351RSTS has everything I mentioned above and is priced less than the Pinnacle, so that would be my choice if I were in the market today.

I would second the Premiers as just as good with a few less finish details than the Pinnacles. The full body paint is really nice.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 02:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Where I think Pinnacles miss the mark is with ODK's. You have to offer a model with this feature IMHO.
Pardon my ignorance but what are ODK's?

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 03:22 PM   #16

ODK = Outdoor Kitchen.

6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
Old 11-14-2014, 03:26 PM   #17

You really had me there for a few mins with the ODK. I couldn't for the life of me recall seeing that acronym before but it finally came to me.

Ok, here's what I really like about the 38FLFS. It's the room separation. None of the other floorpans (excluding the 38FLSA) I've looked at seem to have that. I also like the tall ceiling in the living area up front. Your point about side viewing though is well made as is the fact that there's less counter space and I like to cook so this might cramp my style some.

I found one of these 351RSTS online with a load of photos and that's a nice looking rig. It definitely has more counter space, storage, and an ODK. It's not as upscale looking though to my eye but it's certainly not shabby by any means.

My head is starting to hurt. I've looked at so many floorplans and models now that they're starting to all run together.

Old 11-14-2014, 04:16 PM   #18

We purchased a 2015 pinnacle 36ftbs in July and LOVE it. At first I was uncertain about the need for an extra 1/2 bath but have found it to be quite nice when we have guests and I really like the roomy 2 sink master bath that is very private and located in the front where most of the heat is in the summer time. I can't say enough good things about this camper. At first we had some a/c issues but jayco replaced the unit right away. The climate shield is wonderful. We have the reclining theater seats and find them very comfortable even for my husband who is 6'3". This is our 4th travel trailer, 2nd Jayco. We will never buy anything else. Their customer service is outstanding.
The Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 06:32 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
ODK = Outdoor Kitchen.
Ah.....

Never even considered one...not a deal breaker for us.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 07:35 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quahog View Post
You really had me there for a few mins with the ODK. I couldn't for the life of me recall seeing that acronym before but it finally came to me.

Ok, here's what I really like about the 38FLFS. It's the room separation. None of the other floorpans (excluding the 38FLSA) I've looked at seem to have that. I also like the tall ceiling in the living area up front. Your point about side viewing though is well made as is the fact that there's less counter space and I like to cook so this might cramp my style some.

I found one of these 351RSTS online with a load of photos and that's a nice looking rig. It definitely has more counter space, storage, and an ODK. It's not as upscale looking though to my eye but it's certainly not shabby by any means.

My head is starting to hurt. I've looked at so many floorplans and models now that they're starting to all run together.
I am 6'3" so I hear you about height! Best thing to do is get in a few which is hard. I was in a 38FLFS last year when I ordered my current unit and it was impressive. Some hits and misses, but the front living area and 60" TV with a fireplace underneath were mesmerizing.

Love my ODK (outdoor kitchen) and would not be without it. Afterall it is camping and I like to be outside vs inside. All my cooking needs are right there, as is a tall cold one! I do 95% of the cooking.

DW wanted an island and I an ODK, so it was hard not to trade into my current unit.

Good luck with your shopping. I love the process!

6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB