PDA

View Full Version : arctic/polar package info needed

coloradofamily
12-21-2010, 05:03 PM
We are a family of four considering a 30.5BHS (bunkhouse 5th wheel) for full timing use (a year of cross country travel). We also plan to do winter camping after the year is up (we live in Colorado and it gets cold in the mountians!) We would love any info from the forum members about the polar/arctic option...what do ya'll think?

edatlanta
12-21-2010, 05:35 PM
I wouldn't consider not having it. No problems here with staying warm and no condensation anywhere. The dual pane windows are great also. So far I have seen 13 degrees F. No problems.

Denise
12-21-2010, 06:28 PM
Welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum ColoradoFamily! Wow, a year on the road with family... that's gonna make for some neat memories! We don't have the polar pkg, so can't comment on it, but let us know if you get the 5'er :)

cciparts
12-22-2010, 09:35 AM
We are a family of four considering a 30.5BHS (bunkhouse 5th wheel) for full timing use (a year of cross country travel). We also plan to do winter camping after the year is up (we live in Colorado and it gets cold in the mountians!) We would love any info from the forum members about the polar/arctic option...what do ya'll think?

The Polar Package has benn tested at a continuous 0 degrees F. Jayco will not publish it, but Engineering told us -10 for long periods of time shouldn't be a problem either. The dual pane windows are a must!

Welcome to the forums.

RVhiker
12-23-2010, 08:04 AM
Does the 28.5 Eagle Super Lite have the polar option available?

cciparts
12-23-2010, 08:29 AM
Does the 28.5 Eagle Super Lite have the polar option available?

Actual Polar Package is only an option in the Eagle & Pinnacle Models, not the Eagle SL. However, the SL has R9 Floor, R7 Walls and R22 Roof with the Thermal Pane window option. It comes standard with the enclosed and heated underbelly.

RVhiker
12-23-2010, 09:16 AM
Wes, thanks again.

RVhiker
12-23-2010, 12:10 PM
The R-22 roof insulation included with the thermal pane glass option is a great improvement over the standard R-7 in the Eagle Super Lite; that increased insulation and the thermal panes should make quite a bit of difference in comfort, especially in Texas when it's 104 degrees and no shade!

coloradofamily
12-25-2010, 09:21 AM
Jayco members,
thanks for the info on arctic/polar packages. There is so much information to sort through as a newbie and advice from seasoned RVer's really helps give us some confidence!

Rljones61
01-22-2011, 11:42 AM
Just got back from Western Ne and in a 2 week period we got to 22 for a high!. Worst low was -27. You have to do your homework when camping to such extremes. Get 2 extra propane tanks so you can swap-out quickly. Invest in a heated hose and WRAP that hose. Last, run an extra heater in storage area. By doing all of this we only missed having water for 4 days. Nothing froze and riding out a Neb whiteout snow storm was a true adventure. The Jayco has its limits but I was impressed with how solid the unit is built for colder weather. Wind chills will be your worst issue to deal with. Have fun camping!!!

edatlanta
01-22-2011, 12:40 PM
When it gets below freezing I just make sure my fresh water tank is full and pull in the hose. I can always hook it back up to fill the tank, but a full tank, 87 gallons, will last me a while and by then it hopefully warms back a bit.