Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-06-2014, 08:55 PM   #1

About to plunge . . .

Well I'm about to make the "Full Time" plunge. House went on the market on Tuesday, and have already had one person (besides the realtor) come through this morning. Garage sale is in a week. Anything that doesn't sell will go on Craig's List for a couple of weeks. What's left will be donated to Salvation Army or AmVets. Once the House sells, I'll be "Officially Homeless" (as another poster put it). Between the time the house sells and closing, I'll be looking at mail forwarding services. I'm drawn to one called "America's Mailbox" out of South Dakota. What I see as their advantages are: 1) You can easily obtain SD residency simply by spending a night in their campground (or an in-state motel). Means I could get a resident hunting license for the best pheasant hunting in the world! 2) I could register both my trailer and TV in SD and save money (over Michigan rates) on registration and insurance. 3) No state income tax.

I'm just wondering if any members have experience with them, good or bad.

Since my first SS check comes at the end of August, I'm thinking of sticking around Michigan until early September, traveling to SD to get set up there, see Mt. Rushmore, The Badlands, Wall Drug, Corn Palace, etc. Would probably spend October in Nebraska visiting relatives, then head back up to S. Dakota for the first week or two of pheasant season. Then back to Michigan for firearm deer season and Thanksgiving. Then, it's off to the Texas Hill Country to spend the winter. After last winter, I don't want to spend another winter in Michigan!

We'll see where the road takes me from there.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:36 PM   #2

You plan sounds amazing. I can't offer any input on mail forwarding or residency --- but I do have one question as a hunter myself.

Where do you keep all the game meat in a RV? I currently have a large chest freezer full in the garage plus things in the both the garage and kitchen fridge/freezer. That is from my '13 deer and elk plus a few birds and fish. I could see how you could handle pheasants -- but a deer too. That's a lot a meat pack in an RV.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 07:48 AM   #3

Clubhouse,
I've given that question a lot of thought over the last several months, and frankly, haven't come up with a good solution. I guess I'll just have to eat it faster! (LOL) Although, the last few hunting seasons have been so poor (due to the drought out West), that I could have gotten by with just the freezer in the trailer fridge.

I also have a small chest freezer in my garage, where I have what's left of my deer. But that will go in the garage sale, and the leftover venison will fit in the trailer fridge/freezer. I've been doing some Google searches for mini-freezers, and have found a few - but they're pricy! Some even run on 120V AC or 12V DC. I may have to keep one in the back of the pick-up, and plugged into the accessory outlet; then set it on the patio (plugged into the 120V patio outlet) when I get to camp. I guess I'll find out first if/what I'm going to need.

Thanks for the reply. Good hunting & happy camping!
Old 06-15-2014, 04:50 PM   #4

An update on "the plunge"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
Well I'm about to make the "Full Time" plunge. House went on the market on Tuesday, and have already had one person (besides the realtor) come through this morning. Garage sale is in a week. Anything that doesn't sell will go on Craig's List for a couple of weeks. What's left will be donated to Salvation Army or AmVets. Once the House sells, I'll be "Officially Homeless" (as another poster put it). Between the time the house sells and closing, I'll be looking at mail forwarding services. I'm drawn to one called "America's Mailbox" out of South Dakota. What I see as their advantages are: 1) You can easily obtain SD residency simply by spending a night in their campground (or an in-state motel). Means I could get a resident hunting license for the best pheasant hunting in the world! 2) I could register both my trailer and TV in SD and save money (over Michigan rates) on registration and insurance. 3) No state income tax.

I'm just wondering if any members have experience with them, good or bad.

Since my first SS check comes at the end of August, I'm thinking of sticking around Michigan until early September, traveling to SD to get set up there, see Mt. Rushmore, The Badlands, Wall Drug, Corn Palace, etc. Would probably spend October in Nebraska visiting relatives, then head back up to S. Dakota for the first week or two of pheasant season. Then back to Michigan for firearm deer season and Thanksgiving. Then, it's off to the Texas Hill Country to spend the winter. After last winter, I don't want to spend another winter in Michigan!

We'll see where the road takes me from there.

GREAT NEWS! The house sold in one week for full asking price . . . and, they wanted most of the furniture! Our community garage sale was this past Friday & Saturday, and virtually everything else sold. We're scheduled to close on the house on August 24th, or sooner. So by the end of August, I will be a full-timer! I'm so exited to start this new adventure that I can hardly contain myself!

So now, my search for a mail forwarding service gets intensified. Does anybody have any experience with one? Any responses will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 06-15-2014, 06:56 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Great news Brownie......, now the "full time" adventure truly starts to take shape

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:28 AM   #6

Another "Plunge" Update!

Got a call yesterday from the sales agent for the S & B. The buyer got an offer on their house, contingent on a 7/31 closing date. I agreed, so it looks like I'll be a "Full Timer" by August 1. Can't hardly wait!

Old 06-20-2014, 07:31 AM   #7

Congrats!

FireCapt564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:39 AM   #8

We've been fulltiming for 3 years--when we retired we went to Texas--Livingston--joined Escapees--got our Texas Drivers Licenses--registration and insurance. Texas is very rv friendly. All the advantages of South Dakota. Check out Escapees.com. They have a great mail forwarding service and cater a lot to fulltimers. We have been very satisfied with their services.
calliedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:02 PM   #9

Another question as a hunter - how do you store your guns? I imagine you'd need to lock them up or something? My wife and I are thinking about full timing (or close to it) and may want to take a gun or two with us on our travels (handguns and/or rifles). I'd like to avoid any violations though.
Former owner - 2013 Jayco X20E
MonkeyClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
Another question as a hunter - how do you store your guns? I imagine you'd need to lock them up or something? My wife and I are thinking about full timing (or close to it) and may want to take a gun or two with us on our travels (handguns and/or rifles). I'd like to avoid any violations though.

What guns?!

Most states allow guns to be transported in a vehicle, as long as they are unloaded and stored in an enclosed case, out of the reach of the driver and passengers. I believe New York and D.C. are the exceptions, but I'll have to look into that before I visit either place.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:02 PM   #11

Great plan! Wishing you safe and happy travels. ... don't know about mail forwarding, we have a family member doing that. What I would recommend is a WiFi device. Free internet isn't always free or available. You will most likely be making travel plans, and looking for goods and services in areas you are not familiar with.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 05:46 AM   #12

Talking Today'sthe day!

In just a few short hours, I'll begin my new "Full-timing Adventure"! The house is empty (except for the furniture the new buyers purchased, and the TT items I'll be taking with me). I'll be sticking around Michigan for the remainder of the summer and autumn. It's hard to beat the fall color change in northern Michigan! Then will spend the winter in central Texas. After the 141" of snowfall Grand Rapids had last winter, it will be great to be out of such nastiness!

This may be my last posting for a while. I don't have a texting/data plan, so have to rely on WiFi for my internet connection. I'm just not sure how good a connection I'll have in state park campgrounds. I want to take this opportunity to thank everyone on this site for your friendliness, helpfulness, and hospitality. So, until my next post, Happy Camping to all!
Old 08-18-2014, 07:37 AM   #13

Talking Brownie's Full-time Update

Well, I've been on the road for 3 weeks, now, and I have to say I'm really enjoying it. It is so nice to have "no place you have to be"! I've stayed at two Michigan State Parks/Recreation Areas so far: Ionia Recreation Area (west/central lower peninsula), and Pontiac Lake Recreation Area (northwest of Detroit). Both have had 30A electrical hook-ups, but no sewer or water connections at the campsites. Each has a dump station with water fill for fresh water, and a separate water fill for flushing the black tank. Each campground also has a restroom/bath house with lockable individual showers for guests. I used the one here at Pontiac Lake once, but wasn't comfortable showering among the bugs and tree frogs inside the shower. So I stick to showering in the trailer. My Eagle 266 RKS has a huge bath room with a neo-angle (corner) shower. It's very comfortable for all the morning's business, and it's clean . . . or at least I know the dirt in it is mine. If I'm very diligent, I've found I can make it 8 days before I have to dump the grey/black tanks & refill the F/W tank. I've had absolutely no problems with this trailer. In fact, the Eagle has proved to be every bit as comfortable for full-timing as I hoped it would be. Just shows if you are honest with yourself about your wants/needs, thorough with your research, and realistic about your expectations, you won't be disappointed with your trailer choice. Of course, Jayco/Eagle's quality and a little bit of luck helps too!

You can stay at a Michigan State Park/Rec Area campground for a maximum of 15 continuous days, so tomorrow I'll be moving northeast a few miles to Metamora-Hadley Recreation Area. My reservation there will take me through Labor Day. After that, I'll go back to Ionia for a few days, so I can take care of some remaining "old house" business. From there on out, I'll be winging it through the fall color change, hunting seasons, and Thanksgiving. Then, heading south for the winter.

Will post another update in a few days. Until then, Happy Camping everyone!

Old 08-18-2014, 07:44 AM   #14

Keep us updated on your adventures, and let us know where you're at this winter. We do quite a lot of winter camping in Central Texas, so who knows, we just might run into each other!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 02:56 PM   #15

brownie, did you ever do anything about a freezer? that is one of the things I really am trying to wrap my head around for fulltiming, since I hunt and fish. I also know I am likely to be in some places that are a distance from grocery stores.
wannavolunteerft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 01:48 PM   #16

I'm with you! Put my house on the market 3 weeks ago and just signed a contract with the buyer today. In 30 days, I'm out of here! Sold all my stuff on craigslist, worked out how to use my IP phone (I work from home) in the RV and I'll be living in my RV full time in St Aug Beach. Can't wait! Hope you sell the house soon and get all your stuff sold. Good luck! ~ Miss Andi
Miss Andi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 02:51 PM   #17

1. Mail services. Escapees, either SD, TX or FL. They are a great bunch of people and the service is great.

2. Guns. Most states consider the RV a place of residence, especially if it is a trailer. Typical rules apply. Several websites cover legality of transporting weapons. Normally 'don't ask, don't tell' rule applies. DO NOT go across Canada or Mexico borders.

3. Meat. We just changed our shopping habits. We shop for food at least twice a week and only get enough for a few days. Yep, no more 'buy one get three free' deals. No huge family packs of meat.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote