Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-30-2011, 06:56 AM   #1

First Freeze

The temp dropped to 30 here early this morning. I filled my fresh water tank last night and brought my hose and regulator in. I know they aren't likely to freeze at only 30 for an hour or two early in the morning, but why risk freezing the regulator.
I guess this means winter is almost here and I'm in central Alabama!!!!!

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:56 AM   #2

We had our first freeze here in West Texas Thursday morning.....got down to 30 degrees I think, but back in the high 60's the next day. Didn't do any winterizing to the RV yet as I plan at least two more short trips in November but around the 20th, it will be time to put it in mothballs for what I hope is a mild, short winter.
dg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 02:29 PM   #3

I don't winterize at all since I fulltime, but I do operate out of my fresh water tank in the winter and pull out the hose and regulator every couple of weeks when the tank needs more water. I think this is much easier than trying to figure out how to keep a hose and regulator from freezing.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
Old 10-30-2011, 04:42 PM   #4

Over just east of you we were 32.6 with big frost. Winter is coming! I winterized last week as we are not full time and will be home until January 9 when we head south for a spell.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
I don't winterize at all since I fulltime, but I do operate out of my fresh water tank in the winter and pull out the hose and regulator every couple of weeks when the tank needs more water. I think this is much easier than trying to figure out how to keep a hose and regulator from freezing.
I suspect it is hard finding heat tape in the southern states where you don't have much freezing. I wrap aluminum foil over the hose to distribute the heat, then put on the heat tape, then wrap with black tape to hold in place. You can buy shorter lengths of heat tape to tape to regulator and water filter. Seems like it would be much more convenient then trying to take short showers or saving water.
Wyotraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 05:18 PM   #6

I think it is easier to do it my way, but to each his own. I don't take short showers or try to conserve water at all. I run my washer/dryer several times a week also. I just go out and hook up the water hose and fill my fresh water tank back up when needed. We don't get that many nights below freezing in a normal winter so the heat tape just doesn't make sense for me in this area.

Old 12-17-2011, 05:43 AM   #7

Ed, do you use the quick connect couplers for the water hose connections? I have tried those, and they work great in warmer climates - get somewhat brittle when it gets into the teens and below. And, 19 has been the low for us so far this winter; the heat tape I applied is working out great. Too bad I did not think of the aluminum foil before I wrapped mine though. That would be a nice extra layer of insulation...
Shin Pond Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:25 PM   #8

I do use quick connects, but the brass ones. I have had no problems with them.

Old 12-17-2011, 12:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Excellent point. I used what I had (plastic suncoast brand) - I will invest in a set of brass ones
Old 12-17-2011, 02:37 PM   #10

I use a two stage filter at the water spigot after a pressure regulator then the hose into the Designer. In the winter time I sort of reverse the hook up sequence. I move the pressure regulator and filter into the basement. I know the pressure regulator isn't protecting the hose in this configuration, but I only leave the hose hooked up to fill the tank. When the tank is full I just turn off the water, and unhook the hose from both ends and leave it in place. After removing the quick disconnects from the hose it drains and is ready for the next fill. I do purge the hose before hooking back to the regulator for the next fill. This saves having to coil the hose up each time.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Ditto here - brass quick connects - the set just completed their third year. I'm not full time, only out about 20 weeks a year.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin Pond Hunter View Post
Ed, do you use the quick connect couplers for the water hose connections? I have tried those, and they work great in warmer climates - get somewhat brittle when it gets into the teens and below. And, 19 has been the low for us so far this winter; the heat tape I applied is working out great. Too bad I did not think of the aluminum foil before I wrapped mine though. That would be a nice extra layer of insulation...
If you are full timing and will be in freezing temps quite often you might want to check out the heated water hose (www.pirit.com). It is not cheap but I bought one and plan to use it so I don't have to worry about insulating the water hose or filling the tank or taking in the hose, etc. The hose has a built in thermostat that turn on and off depending on the temp. Got mine on www.amazon.com at a cheaper price and it was new also
cutrell01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:50 AM   #13

Interesting. Never saw the hose will have to check it out. However, you can buy heat tape. Heat tape comes in several different lengths. Home Depot usually carries it.

I wrap my hose with aluminum foil first. They have aluminum tape which I am going to try when making up a new hose. The aluminum foil or aluminum tape distributes the heat uniformly on the hose. Then put on the heat tape along the length of the hose. Hold it in place with black electrical tape. I also have a water filter. I purchased a home water filter from Home Depot and added hose fittings. I do the same with the filter. Aluminum foil to distribute the heat, then wrap a short length of heat tape around the filter. Plug it in and your good to go. The heat tape has built in thermostats so it only turns on when needed. No extra insulation is needed on the hose or filter. I full timed for almost 4 winters in 10 to 15 degree weather with no problems.

As an extra precaution you may want to use grey and black water chems, plus dump a quart or so of RV antifreeze in your grey and black tanks before use.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:20 AM   #14

I too looked at the Pirit; but, I figured I would try the heat tape first ($30 vs $130+). Last nite it dropped to 11 and all is well. I am using a 30' heat tape that covers my 27' hose and filter set-up. The extra 3' of tape i placed on the opposite side of my filter. The whole thing is then wrapped with pipe foam.

As far as the anti-freeze down the tanks, all of my tanks are heated and enclosed. I keep the black valves closed and empty when full. So far, I have been keeping the grey valves open and have yet to notice anything wrong/problematic with doing this.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:34 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutrell01 View Post
If you are full timing and will be in freezing temps quite often you might want to check out the heated water hose (www.pirithose.com). It is not cheap but I bought one and plan to use it so I don't have to worry about insulating the water hose or filling the tank or taking in the hose, etc. The hose has a built in thermostat that turn on and off depending on the temp. Got mine on www.amazon.com at a cheaper price and it was new also
My post about heated water hose should have said www.pirithose.com
cutrell01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:35 PM   #16

My tanks are heated also in the Jayflight 19RD. Just the pipe that sticks out with the valve froze. in 10 degree weather. Valve was OK after being thawed.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:28 PM   #17

Just a note on handling freezing temps.... It Jan 7 and has not frozen here yet. Got close 3 days ago. I just let the water trickle.

2003 Designer Legacy 3590RLTS
2011 Bullet 215RBS - Sold
2010 F250SD PSD SRW CC SB
Timbrens, Rand McNally 7710RVND and
Pullrite SuperGlide 2700.
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote