Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-20-2015, 04:59 PM   #1

Health Insurance

So, I have the 5th wheel on the site and am waiting for it to dry out enough I can get under it to hook up the water and sewer. I am also waiting for Kansas City Power and Light to hook me up. Then I am ready to move into the 5er full time. Spent the day there and it felt like I was on vacation even though I still have full time job. My plan is to winter here and then semi-retire and work a few months in one area and a few in another.

Everything is working out except I don't know what to do about health insurance. I don't ever use it but if I dropped it, I would suddenly need it. Are any of the rest of you fulltimers less than 65 years old? Without work insurance, what do you do for insurance, pay ridiculous rates? Please don't even suggest Obamacare.
Beelbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 05:49 PM   #2

Any C.O.B.R.A?

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 06:11 PM   #3

Unless you have government sponsered healthcare; VA, DOD, Tri-Care, Medicare/Medicade, etc ... I guess I thought that there were only two other choices. 1) Group Insurance (including employer sponsered) or 2) individual "Obamacare Approved" polices. Are there others I am not aware of?

By saying don't suggest Obamacare what do you mean? Are you looking for an individual plan that doesn't meet the ACA guidlines?

If I was you I would be looking for a high deductible catastrophic care plan with a HSA. But let's face it, healthcare costs and health insurance premiums have reached astronomical prices.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 06:44 PM   #4

Look into this..its called( Christian health care ) They can give you all the details
Jayco 330RSTS Gone
Jayco G2 bunkhouse Gone
herewego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 06:56 PM   #5

Not understanding the don't mention Obamacare comment. Tons of different companies (private companies) sell insurance on the open market and you can buy a plan with the level of coverage you want. Costs vary based on that. So you can pick very basic hospitalization coverage or a very high end policy depending on what you want to pay. Only fun now is you can buy as a group to keep price down and they can't exclude you. If you don't want the tax credits you may be eligible for because of the obamacare bill no one will force you to take those
MommieMara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 07:15 PM   #6

Was hoping there was some kind of RV group insurance. Don't really want to get into an Obamacare discussion. Thanks for the Christian Healthcare suggestion.
Beelbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:17 PM   #7

Check into small business consortiums - they often can get you group rates on medical/dental/vision. Also check membership stores, for example Costco Services links to the Costco Health Insurance Marketplace [don't know anything more since we have employer benefits].

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 04:51 AM   #8

Yeah, it's ridiculously expensive even for the Bronze level coverage. I was with Blue Cross last year but the premiums increased by 29.5% this year so I switched to an Aetna plan through Costco. Saved me a couple of hundred bucks but it's still way too expensive IMHO.

Since I always had employer-sponsored insurance, I never bothered to explore VA but I am doing that now.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:58 AM   #9

Check this website out. They have a lot of good full-time info, including health insurance options.
Could RV Living Be Your Dream? Let's Find Out!!

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote