Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-30-2017, 08:30 AM   #1

Leave trailer in Florida

I am thinking about leaving the trailer in my sig in Florida and using it in Jan, Feb, Mar and April. My only concern is the humidity and bugs when I am not there. If anyone does this could let me know any problems you found. Worried about mold and bug infestation (spiders).

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 10:45 AM   #2

Are you hooked to shore power when you're not there? Running the a/c at about eighty degrees is an option but I suppose it would put a lot of wear and tear on your a/c units. Perhaps you could buy an inexpensive dehumidifier and hook a hose to the outside.

Florida is loaded with people who will spray for bugs. Talk to some of the people in your park.
Old 06-30-2017, 07:13 PM   #3
Site Team

For the last 5 years our TT has been parked next to our house in the Clearwater Fl area, in between outings. We are about 200 yards from the gulf. We do not have any critter issues as I went under the TT and filled EVERY crack/hole with spray foam. You will be amazed how many entry points there were. I even foamed between the underlay and the frame space. I then foamed every opening between the underbelly and the living space. It took a little time but so far it was well worth the time and money.

So, you are probably wondering how we keep the trailer since it really does not get very cool any time of the year. We have 2 ceiling vents. One at each end of the TT. I put MaxAire all weather covers over them so I can leave them open 24/7. The rear vent is on exhaust and I keep the front fan off so air will come in through the front and exit out of the back vent.

I have SOLAR so the TT is never connected to shore-power while in storage. The SOLAR keeps the batteries topped off and fans running usually from 9AM until about 8PM.

We do not have any mold issues as the air is constantly circulating. Have yet to have any bug or critter issues either.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Attached Thumbnails
FOAM SPRAY - Great Stup with Pestblock.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 06:02 AM   #4

Just be aware.. I read a few years ago that Florida was starting to tax out of state RV's left all year in the state.. Of course they announced this in April after all the snowbirds left...
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 10:41 AM   #5

If you do leave it anywhere in the sun make sure you used some kind of sun shade on all the windows. Reduces heat but more importantly reduces fading of your shades and upholstery.

We have used a bubble wrap insulation that has reflective foil on one side. Originally for ductwork but really nice for RV window and skylight use.

Brand name is Reflectix Roll Insulation. Lowes, lots of other places.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 07:08 AM   #6

This was our plan. We actually got the unit just for this purpose, still have another trailer. Then after thinking about it sitting in the Florida heat, sun, and rain all summer unattended I went down and picked it up in May. I was just too worried about what could happen when I wasn't there. I have my other travel trailer for sale now.

What if I developed a roof leak and didn't know about it for 4-6 months?

When we were still on our original plan (which seemed like a good plan at the time), we did a lot of things to get it ready. Sprayed some sort of bug repellent all around it. Put reflectix in the windows. I didn't see that leaving the ac on at a higher temp like 85 would be any solution as if the breaker kicks out one time the ac is off until I go back there. The place is half empty in the summer anyway. What would keep someone from just stealing my cord and surge protector?

I have max air covers so I cracked the 3 vents just a tad. I opened the 4 windows that open up from the bottom just a crack also.

We left it and came home in the middle of March as I had a chance to make some big money at the refinery (semi retired). I worried about it constantly and then we went and picked it up in the middle of May.

Another thing I hadn't considered in my plan, driving 1100 miles to Florida and back empty sucks. Straight through is a killer. Stopping at a motel is out of the question for me, the only places that allow dogs are filthy. Besides I bought my camper to avoid motels because I hate them. Thought I could stop and sleep at rest areas but that didn't work. 5 minutes and I was wide awake again.

I like to go 350 miles, stop at a campground, and not get in any hurry. It's only one trip down there and one back per year anyway.
2016 Sunset Trail Super Lite ST250RB for sale
Next unit: Jayco Eagle 336fbok
FishAr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 07:43 AM   #7

Don't know, I've kept my rv's in tampa for the last 14 years. Never had a problem until buying a new Jayco two years ago. Never had a problem with joiner strips and inner walls coming loose. I know a few other down there that mention similar issues so I don't know if it's heat or just the manufacturing process. When ever we get it repaired, the wife and I are selling it and getting out of Rvs completely. It's just too much aggravation, especially with warranty. But we always covered ours with a quality cover (except the Jayco), (not those cheap ones many brag about). We always left two vents slightly open and had dry rid throughout. Also had irish spring in the compartments and mothballs (in plastic bottles with holes drilled in them). Had the unit totally detailed before installing covers. Always was the same shape the day we left it when we returned.

2014 Ram Dually 6.7 Diesel
2016 North Point 375BHFS
shadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 08:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadester View Post
Don't know, I've kept my rv's in tampa for the last 14 years. Never had a problem until buying a new Jayco two years ago. Never had a problem with joiner strips and inner walls coming loose. I know a few other down there that mention similar issues so I don't know if it's heat or just the manufacturing process. When ever we get it repaired, the wife and I are selling it and getting out of Rvs completely. It's just too much aggravation, especially with warranty. But we always covered ours with a quality cover (except the Jayco), (not those cheap ones many brag about). We always left two vents slightly open and had dry rid throughout. Also had irish spring in the compartments and mothballs (in plastic bottles with holes drilled in them). Had the unit totally detailed before installing covers. Always was the same shape the day we left it when we returned.
I used the damp rid also, 3 tubs. Forgot to mention that. Also put dryer sheets around in the drawers and places, I read that helped.
2016 Sunset Trail Super Lite ST250RB for sale
Next unit: Jayco Eagle 336fbok
FishAr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 08:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishAr View Post
Stopping at a motel is out of the question for me, the only places that allow dogs are filthy.
When we go back and forth with our Yorkie, we have had good luck staying at La Quinta Inns. A little pricey, but nice clean rooms, pillow top mattresses and usually a good breakfast bar before heading out for the day.