Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-03-2015, 06:35 PM   #1

Security Systems

We currently have a freeze alarm for our home to help protect it while we are wintering in FL. It works really well, contacts me, my neighbor & my wife if the heat falls below set point or the electrical power is off for more than 30 min. We live in a relatively rural area with out regular police protection, expect between 200 and 250 inches of snow annually and I am thinking I need additional protection. What if anything are others using. Specifically I am thinking I would like some type of camera that I can see and control with my laptop and some type of burglar alarm. What if anything are others using? Recommendations?
Old 08-13-2015, 08:30 AM   #2

Some alarm companies now have video monitoring.. you can check around and see who in your area has that.. The biggest peace of mind thing I did before I started heading S was to add a tap to the water line where it comes if from the water meter. this allows me to drain all the water from the pipes so if the heat does go off I do not have to deal with frozen water lines. Think of like blowing out your RV water lines..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 11:59 AM   #3
Site Team

The only thing that I did not care for with alarm company supplied security cameras is that they charge you an installation charge and a monthly charge for each Camera. I purchased a 16 Channel 8 camera package from NightOwl and have since added 8 additional cameras . I connect to the security camera DVR at home over theinternet and all 16 camera streaming video appear on my laptop. You can then change the number displayed to 16, 8, 4, 1. All the cameras video can be viewed on a smartphone or tablet. You can also get/control PAN type cameras. Can also send you an email message if you use motion option. There is a 2 Tb hard drive that records all the video for replay. DW even looks at the cameras.

I also use SimpliSafe alarm system which allows me to add sensors and program them to only ALERT me and not trigger an alarm (privacy fence gates, driveway gate, hidden outside motion sensors...) I can always tell when the lawn guys come/go. I then click on cameras to check it out. Also texts me when power goes off/restored.

For the thermostat I use an ecobee internet access thermostat. Sends me text messages if the temperature is out of programmed range, lets me reset the temp when we head home. It allows for multiple heating and AC units, humidifiers dehumidifiers, air vent dampers, temperature sensors..... Also updates a data base with all the stats every 5 minutes which has helped me isolate a few problems in the heating system, replaced the relays, circuit board and it works fine again.

There are a few other things ....

I enjoy my toys

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:49 AM   #4

Thanks guys. I am considering the simplisafe system. My brother-in-law has had a good experience with their system. Just received an e-mail from them (Simplisafe) indicating they are coming out with a camera system soon.
I would get sadistic pleasure watching the snow pile up .
Old 09-29-2015, 10:28 AM   #5

I use drop cam which is now nest. The problem I had was when I lost wi-Fi. My modem will only reset half the time unless u reset the power button but u have to be there. Modems not resetting r a big problem. Found an add on power controller that the modem power cordplugs into and the cable line. It can sense when there is no signal and will turn power on an off to modem numerous times until it works again
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 10:31 AM   #6

I also have simply safe and will add there camera. That way I will have both wi fi and cell signal cameras. I also pay to have nest keep one week in the cloud that way I have pics of any intruders
Old 10-03-2015, 11:52 AM   #7

I have been told SimpliSafe has been claiming they will have "cameras soon" for a very long time now. It has caused considerable frustration for those who have been long time owners of the systems.

Their alarm system is pretty awesome.
hbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 03:29 PM   #8
Site Team

From the SimpliSafe August 2015 news letter:

And there was one thing you clamored for the loudest: Cameras. We’ve heard each of your requests. And our newly expanded team has been working hard to get them to you. We know you can’t wait to get them into your homes. We’re very happy to say that our cameras will be out for the Holidays 2015. (Yes, this year! )

We’re eager to share them with you. You’re going to love them. - See more at:
SimpliSafe Cameras Are On The Way | Security Systems
Old 10-03-2015, 03:49 PM   #9

I will add the simply safe cameras but also keep best with the modem reset I have. That way I have wi- fi and cell cameras. And I also have eight cameras to a dvr that over records 30 days. Plus 4 still motion detectors that trip on movement. All I can say the cops better track down the ******* who breaks into my house before I do. And anyone of u who travel unarmed is clueless to what really goes on. I would never forgive myself if I could not defend my family with deadly force. 26 years in the military and I know what goes on. I smile every time I see an anti gun sticker I will gladly respect ur wishes and drive by while u r assaulted
Rock
Old 10-03-2015, 10:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
I will add the simply safe cameras but also keep best with the modem reset I have. That way I have wi- fi and cell cameras. And I also have eight cameras to a dvr that over records 30 days. Plus 4 still motion detectors that trip on movement. All I can say the cops better track down the ******* who breaks into my house before I do. And anyone of u who travel unarmed is clueless to what really goes on. I would never forgive myself if I could not defend my family with deadly force. 26 years in the military and I know what goes on. I smile every time I see an anti gun sticker I will gladly respect ur wishes and drive by while u r assaulted
Rock
A BIG X2, Rock. You put it well. 2nd amendment for all!
and Happy RVing,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 10:38 AM   #11

I bought a Foscam for the RV to watch the dog while we are out. Has two way audio if I want to talk to him. You control everything from your phone, including tilt and pan.
Hoojs12840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 10:49 AM   #12
Site Team

SimpliSafe Update on Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbravo View Post
I have been told SimpliSafe has been claiming they will have "cameras soon" for a very long time now. It has caused considerable frustration for those who have been long time owners of the systems.
Their alarm system is pretty awesome.
Sorry hbravo,
Cameras will NOT be available before Christmas:-(
Attached Thumbnails
SECURITY - SimpliSafe Camera Delay.jpg  
Old 11-28-2015, 11:35 AM   #13

Hey there Mustang 65. Yup, I got the same email. I like their alarm system but they just can't seem to get their camera thing together.
hbravo is offline   Reply With Quote