Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-10-2017, 08:53 AM   #1

Vancouver to Alaska

Considering traveling from Vancouver B.C. Up into the Yukon possibly Alaska next year. I was looking on google maps and I am thinking to do it right we will need about 3 weeks to travel at an easy pace and see the sights. A week up a week down and a week for those "I really like this spot". Has anyone made this trip? Any favorite places? Any trouble getting a campsite without reservations? Any good stories? Stuff you can now look back and laugh on? Please post your experiances. Thanks
Cranetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 05:49 PM   #2

Lived in Whitehorse for 30 years. 3 weeks is a great amount of time for this trip. Once in the Yukon, territorial campgrounds don't require bookings and not usually full -- unless it's a long weekend and near Whitehorse. For RV parks, I would suggest making reservations as they are very busy. A lot of large caravans of RVs go up there and can overtake the parks.

If you have time, take a side trip to Skagway, AK. It's a great little town with a ton of history of the Gold Rush (be sure to reserve an RV park there)

If you are only doing the Yukon, also be sure to head up to Dawson City. It's roughly 6 or 7 hours from Whitehorse in an RV. And of course, Whitehorse has a lot of things to see and do as well.

Enjoy.
2014 Jayflight 24FBS Elite (Sold)
ykcamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 10:16 AM   #3

Thanks ykcamom. When you say rv parks do you mean private vs government? I did this trip back in the 70's as a kid with my folks who had just bought a brand new car and trailer. The roads were still gravel and very curvy. I think we broke every window and flattened every tire lol. I also remember the roof vents being left open and the trailer being dusted out. Was hoping not to have to rely on reservations but will try and make some if required.also have heard a copy of the mile post is recommended. Really looking forward to making the trip. Will defiantly stop at Dawson city and hope to make Alaska too.
Old 06-11-2017, 10:32 AM   #4

It's a beautiful drive. A stop we find worth going extra for is Liard Hot Springs in Northern BC.
Otherwise, we live in Alaska, and still haven't seen it all.....

Definitely get yourself a Milepost magazine. It is well worth every penny.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 10:37 AM   #5

Have read about the hot springs and will defiantly stop. Thx nvgun40
Old 06-11-2017, 10:43 AM   #6

if you want to see Skagway but escape the crowds at camping time go to Dyea. It is a ghost town. Chock full of history.

https://www.nps.gov/klgo/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm

No utilities

If at evening time you are in Carmacks, Coal Mine is a way stop for RV's. Good burgers.. Laundry etc. It is on the highway but there is often less traffic than the route from Whitehorse( its on the road to Faro) and about a mile out of downtown Carmacks ( which has a surprisingly decent grocery store for the middle of the Yukon)

We did a Yukon, BC trip in 2012 and coming from Maine the Alaska Highway was paved. Now they do chip sealing so there can be lots of dust still and you may find yourself in a lengthy delay now and then.

We stayed at Meziadin Lake Junction.. Its good base to explore in Hyder where the salmon runs are and if you dare ( without the RV) go up the mining road to Big Salmon Glacier
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...er_Alaska.html

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 10:47 AM   #7

Awesome thanks for the tips Kim Gass
Old 06-12-2017, 09:49 AM   #8

By RV Parks I mean private. All the government places are campgrounds and would require dry camping.

I too remember driving that hwy in the 70s and the dust! It's not like that now at all. Has been straightened out for the most part (well except around Muncho lake area) and is a pleasant drive.

Someone mentioned camping in Dyea while in Skagway. It's a nice campground but keep in mind the drive up there is extremely narrow and winds around the mountain. It's rather precarious in parts and depending on the size of your rig, I'd think carefully before going. And yes, get a copy of the milepost. It's handy to have, I'm told. Although we've never bought one! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranetech View Post
Thanks ykcamom. When you say rv parks do you mean private vs government? I did this trip back in the 70's as a kid with my folks who had just bought a brand new car and trailer. The roads were still gravel and very curvy. I think we broke every window and flattened every tire lol. I also remember the roof vents being left open and the trailer being dusted out. Was hoping not to have to rely on reservations but will try and make some if required.also have heard a copy of the mile post is recommended. Really looking forward to making the trip. Will defiantly stop at Dawson city and hope to make Alaska too.
2014 Jayflight 24FBS Elite (Sold)
ykcamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ykcamom View Post
By RV Parks I mean private. All the government places are campgrounds and would require dry camping.

I too remember driving that hwy in the 70s and the dust! It's not like that now at all. Has been straightened out for the most part (well except around Muncho lake area) and is a pleasant drive.

Someone mentioned camping in Dyea while in Skagway. It's a nice campground but keep in mind the drive up there is extremely narrow and winds around the mountain. It's rather precarious in parts and depending on the size of your rig, I'd think carefully before going. And yes, get a copy of the milepost. It's handy to have, I'm told. Although we've never bought one! LOL
Dry camping suits me fine but I guess a few hook up nights vould be usefully.
Trailer is a 25rks so maybe a day trip to Dyea with just the truck would make more sense.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:21 PM   #10

May need to pick up a canoe or some kayaks too... Looking forward too this one..
Old 06-29-2017, 08:08 AM   #11

I don't remember that road to Dyea being at all challenging but then again at that time five years ago we had no trailer. Better look first.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2016 195 RB traded in
Old 07-29-2017, 08:11 AM   #12

Ak

Cranetech...check out our blog from last year. Bob and Lorraine's Latest Adventure

We have camped twice at Dyea take your time and u can get in there. You could check the road out first. Also consider the Cassaire (sp) highway see our blog. We didn't have any reservations, liked most of the government campgrounds. There is one across the river from Dawson city and u can ride the ferry back and forth.
Bob
380 watts of solar
2013 1500 Silverado 5.3 4x4 ext cab
Equalizer hitch 1,000/10,000
Firestone Airlift airbags
geezerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 08:31 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezerbob View Post
Cranetech...check out our blog from last year. Bob and Lorraine's Latest Adventure

We have camped twice at Dyea take your time and u can get in there. You could check the road out first. Also consider the Cassaire (sp) highway see our blog. We didn't have any reservations, liked most of the government campgrounds. There is one across the river from Dawson city and u can ride the ferry back and forth.
Bob
Awesome! Will defiantly check it out! Thx
Old 07-29-2017, 10:23 AM   #14

Allow time for road construction and going slow. Some parts of your journey will be on dirt and newly chip sealed road so bring gear for washing your RV. There are several do it yourself RV washing
stations in Tok here 3 bucks for 7 minutes or so
The Yukon Territorial campground have no hookups but are lovely and campsites well spaced
In Dawson for hookups Bonanza over Goldrush where we stayed. The latter was a big dirt lot with hookups and two feet between sites
Consider Top of the World Highway through Chicken. Stunning scenery. Dirty lumpy slow going seven hours for 190 miles. And worth it. !
Dawson is great fun and as it's harder to get to not overrun with tourists.
We even went to Keno Hill but left the trailer at Five Mile Lake. That road was partly 4 wd
Old 07-29-2017, 10:51 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
Allow time for road construction and going slow. Some parts of your journey will be on dirt and newly chip sealed road so bring gear for washing your RV. There are several do it yourself RV washing
stations in Tok here 3 bucks for 7 minutes or so
The Yukon Territorial campground have no hookups but are lovely and campsites well spaced
In Dawson for hookups Bonanza over Goldrush where we stayed. The latter was a big dirt lot with hookups and two feet between sites
Consider Top of the World Highway through Chicken. Stunning scenery. Dirty lumpy slow going seven hours for 190 miles. And worth it. !
Dawson is great fun and as it's harder to get to not overrun with tourists.
We even went to Keno Hill but left the trailer at Five Mile Lake. That road was partly 4 wd
Thanks for the info. We live in Vancouver BC. And Google Earth estimates a 33 hr trip so I have estimated 4 to 5 hrs a day and allowed 3 weeks to do a rounder. I am not wanting to rush anything and if we find a spot we really like then we can spend an extra day. We are not dirt parking lot people and much prefer the provincial or state parks I plan on getting a solar panel on before we go to keep things charged up.not sure if it will be much of a issue as most days we will have driving/charging time. I suppose we will hit the odd full hook up to allow for laundry facilities and will be nice to have full hookups occasionaly. If we make it all the way then great if not then I have no doubt it will be an awesome trip either way. Really I think my only concern will be getting a place to stay but from what I have read you can pretty much pull over and stop anywhere if camping is not available. As far as I am concerned the best holidays are the ones where you are not pressured to make a destination. Drive to wherever you can make it, stop often, and enjoy the sites.
Old 07-29-2017, 11:39 AM   #16

This summer the biggest problem was BC wildfires that shut down 97. Making major detours the only way to do it
In BC we sometimes reserved at RV parks. Prince George was hard to find a site as there were several thousand Williams Lake evacuees. But the operators weren't turning people away. Just trying to fit all in so it was tight q

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2016 195 RB traded in
Old 07-29-2017, 12:01 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
This summer the biggest problem was BC wildfires that shut down 97. Making major detours the only way to do it
In BC we sometimes reserved at RV parks. Prince George was hard to find a site as there were several thousand Williams Lake evacuees. But the operators weren't turning people away. Just trying to fit all in so it was tight q
Yes I hear that. The fires have been bad this year. I hope we start getting a little rain to help them out and people start to understand that flicking cigarette Butta out the window is a bad idea...
Old 07-29-2017, 03:13 PM   #18

Cranetech
We used two publications that we think are a must to take along. Milepost Alaska Travel Planner that is updated every year. Also the 6th edition of Travelers Guide to Alaska Camping.
We found a rythmn (sp) that worked for us not having any reservations. Most days we were on the road by 8 a.m. We started to plan where we might land that night by 3P.M. This seemed to get us ahead of the major flow of campers. Leave early stop early. Most caravans use private campgrounds so they were not a problem for us. We loved the freedom of the road and not having to be anywhere at a designated date.
There is a government campground on Kluane lake that is beautiful. Small but nice. If you decide to do the top of the world road you will stop in chicken, everybody does. Plan to take some time on this stretch with some narrow gravel roads and all. Plan for flat tires and maybe you won't get any. We always carried at least 6 gallons of extra fuel sometimes 12.
Used it once.
Bob
380 watts of solar
2013 1500 Silverado 5.3 4x4 ext cab
Equalizer hitch 1,000/10,000
Firestone Airlift airbags
geezerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 04:17 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezerbob View Post
Cranetech
We used two publications that we think are a must to take along. Milepost Alaska Travel Planner that is updated every year. Also the 6th edition of Travelers Guide to Alaska Camping.
We found a rythmn (sp) that worked for us not having any reservations. Most days we were on the road by 8 a.m. We started to plan where we might land that night by 3P.M. This seemed to get us ahead of the major flow of campers. Leave early stop early. Most caravans use private campgrounds so they were not a problem for us. We loved the freedom of the road and not having to be anywhere at a designated date.
There is a government campground on Kluane lake that is beautiful. Small but nice. If you decide to do the top of the world road you will stop in chicken, everybody does. Plan to take some time on this stretch with some narrow gravel roads and all. Plan for flat tires and maybe you won't get any. We always carried at least 6 gallons of extra fuel sometimes 12.
Used it once.
Bob
The not having to be anywhere trips are the best. Years ago before kids we used to be able to do just that on the Oregon Coast. Loved it. Now it seems everywhere you go you need to book anywhere from 3 months to 1 year in advance. Kills a lot of the fun. We took the journey when I was a kid in the 70's and had many a flat so yes I will be sure to have a new set on the trailer and a minimum of 1 spare. Will bring gasome cans and have heard much of the milepost. First I've heard of travelers guide to alaska hwy though. Thanks for the input. Seems to me when I went up as a kid we stopped at kluane lake and that is where we pretty much ended up. Dad was in his glory with all the lake trout and nice ones too.so that is one place I defiantly want to stop at.
Thx for the advice and help
Old 07-29-2017, 11:09 PM   #20

We've driven to the Yukon and Alaska from Maine twice and never bought a Milepost. You can get the same information for free at visitor centres in Dawson Creek Watson Lake Whitehorse and Delta Junction
We've so far not booked till that day along about Two pm and aside from Jasper and Prince George there are plenty of vacancies. And Jasper ALWAYS has boondocking at Snaring Creek. Huge field wonderful views
We have a limited range of 216 miles and carried 6 gal extra fuel. We used it only once as someone did not want to pay $4 a gal in Chicken

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2016 195 RB traded in