Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-15-2014, 09:13 PM   #21

So, quick summary...yes sir, no sir, no fruit, no veggies, no meat, no guns, no dog food. Electronics off, windows down, no alcohol, passports, birth certs for kids, vet records for the pooch, leave doors unlocked so they can search. Got it! Do I need printed reservation confirmations for where I'm staying in Canada?
2014 Jayco Jay Feather X23B-"Glampy"(Sold)
DW, DS, DDx2, and Bandit & Fletcher
Bikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:24 AM   #22

NO Come have Fun ,I feel the same way going the other way

Lots to see. Enjoy

Pull into rest area for the night. You will see!
annie oakly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:49 PM   #23

We travel from canada to the US frequently I fact just down this weekend. Advise is all good so far. Dog requires rabies shot for both borders although we have never been asked to provide proof which we always carry with us. Easiest to make sure you have no fresh fruit or vegetables some are allowed but it is too much work to know which. We have never been asked about dog food but we carry it in its original bag opened or not. For alcohol into canada you are allowed 1 liter of spirits or 24 cans of beer I am unsure about wine per person keep in mind you are only allowed one type not alcohol and beer. Booze is expensive in canada too they will ask about that and as been mentioned no guns you won't need them here anyways at least I have never felt the need and you can't transport handguns here freely like in the states. Come on up and enjoy your stay canada is a beautiful place to visit. At the border answer the questions asked. Today on our way home we were asked the following questions.
Where is home? How long were you away? Value of goods coming back? Are we bring back other peoples luggage? Did we have work done to the truck or trailer? Amount of alcohol and tobacco coming in to canada? Border guard was very polite. Going to us we were asked where we were going? How long we were staying? Any fresh fruit or vegetables? Where is home? They may ask you a question twice to see if you have the same answer. We only had a US border guard one time make us feel as though it was up to him if he let us in or not don't be nervous they just ask some questions about what you are doing and away you go. We have never had our trailer checked in 4 years so we are probably over due.

66 nights in 2016
61 nights in 2015
Derek700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 04:56 AM   #24

Ok, here is the feedback on my trip in and out of Ontario. Entering from Niagara Falls, waited 10 mins max in line with camper, was asked 2 questions only about where I was from and where I was going. I had passports for me and the DW and original birth certs for the 3 kids. They were uninterested in my dog, even though I had the rabies cert. easy peasy. Entering back into the US the next day at the Sarnia border was even easier. 5 min wait, they asked to roll down windows to see the kids, same 2 questions as before, and we were on our way. Very pleasant experience both times. Never asked to look in the camper.
2014 Jayco Jay Feather X23B-"Glampy"(Sold)
DW, DS, DDx2, and Bandit & Fletcher
Bikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:48 AM   #25

We have been going from Canada to US for about 45 years.

Last year was first time we were asked about dog food?

Got a gentle warning and allowed to keep partial bag, if we promised not to re-offend.

Dave
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 04:10 AM   #26

dont worry too much, all of the info is good,

just be polite they are trained to tell if you are lieing (i have worked and trained for customs in the past) they do have days where they stop certain people so dont get too offended if you do get sent to secondary

too bad your not coming further in, there is much better places to visit, you should check out ontarioparks.ca ontario has some of the most beautiful lakes and provincial parks dont waste your time at a KOA
2006 Ford F150 5.4, (SOLD Oct 2014)
2014 Jayco Jayflight 26BH (SOLD Feb 2014)
carey965 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
border, canada, crossing, niagara falls