Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-03-2012, 10:26 PM   #1

Any reccomendations near Gettysburg, PA?

Looking at taking a trip up there later this fall - can anyone reccomend a good family campground? Prefferably one with some cabins as well so the inlaws can join us?
Old 08-04-2012, 06:22 AM   #2

http://gettysburgcampground.com/
The staff here is great and very helpful. Tours right from the campground and a great gift shop. We had a site on the river with a cement patio.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:35 AM   #3

We stayed at the KOA. It is smaller than other campgrounds in the area but it was clean and well run. We would stay there again if we go back. They do have cabins available.
I would recommend reading "The Killer Angels" by Michael Shaara before going. I wish I had read it before the trip. The tours were somewhat confusing as you do not see things in time order. The book will help. Also read "Gods and Generals" by Jeff Shaara. That book deals with the people and events leading up to Gettysburg. Both books have been made into movies and are available on DVD.
We toured the battlefield twice- once with the purchased CD as a guide and one on Segways (pricey but good and fun). There are also good bus tours available with guides. The Visitor Center is very good.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:05 AM   #4

X2 on the KOA. First time we ever stayed at one but we had a good time.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:53 AM   #5

We have stayed at Artillery Ridge a few times. We are going again this fall for a Halloween weekend. They have cabins as well as campsites. It is a basic campground that is VERY dog, horse, & family friendly. The national riding stable is on the property- the horseback tour was a neat vantage point to see the battlefield.
2 Golden Retrievers, Cooper & Claude
:campfire: :campfire:
Ewingfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:47 AM   #6

I would also recommend a day trip to Antietam Battlefield. Be sure to attend the ranger's presentation at the visitor center. We also went to Harpers Ferry on that day trip. Very interesting.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:32 PM   #7

KOA X3 The terraced sites are different.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:16 PM   #8

Drumerboy is very nice. They have cabins too. I like the sites behind the fishing pond. The sites there are a little bigger. I reccomend that you go on a ghost walk. Have a fun time. Not sure of the weekends (2), but there is an apple festival just north of Gettysburg in the fall. The campgrounds book up early those weekends, and some of them charge more. Have a good trip.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:47 PM   #9

If you're a member of Coast to Coast you may be able to camp at Gettysburg Battlefield Resort. It's on State Rt 15 that runs through the Battlefield Park and only a few miles from Gettysburg. We camped there last week and the facilities are nice, a large Y shaped swimming pool, several dog walks, a little lake, civil war reanactment area, store, snack bar, lounge area, really nice private showers/bathrooms, there's is even a bus that comes buy and picks up passengers to take them to Gettysburg for no charge. We visited the National Parks Visitor/Museum Center on Baltimore Pike. We purchased tickets there for a movie, cyclorama, and a 2 hour bus tour for $36. each adult. Kids under ? were free (can't remember exact age, but my granddaughter is 5 and got in free). There's a nice book store in the center with lots of souvenirs and several auto tours on cd available for purchase for $36.00 or less. On our bus tour the guide was very informative and we got a good idea of the history involving the battle. We also bought the movie "Gettysburg" at the Gettyburgs outlet shops. It was great. Wished we'd had seen it before going on the tour so we would have known a little more about the area. There are lots of shops in town with all kinds of things to buy. We ate at Tommy's Pizza, Luke's All American Grill, Friendlys Ice Cream, and General Picketts Buffet. We will be going back next year and plan on taking our grandsons with us. Another good place to visit would be the Eisenhower Farm. We came in via the PA turnpike and down State Route 30. First time I towed in mountains. A little nerve racking, but not too bad. However, we went home thru Maryland and avoided going back on 30. Have fun.
bradsr63 is offline   Reply With Quote