Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-08-2016, 10:32 AM   #11
We've been there 3 times, twice at the beginning of June. If you can, shoot for the end of May or first week in June. Most of the roads are open by then and the kids are still in school. So yes it's busy, but not crazy busy. Best of all the water falls are flowing.

If you can spend some time on Tioga Rd and hiking the trails there it's a wonderful experience. It's also not as busy as the Valley, which is pretty busy even in May. The great thing about the valley is that you can park the car and take the shuttle everywhere, it stops at all the trail heads. Take an early morning drive, like at 7 am. through the valley. Lots of places to stop that the shuttles don't stop at and no crowds.

2013 Jayco Jayfeather X20 E, 2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Z71 SLE
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 08:19 PM   #12
Everyone has given great advice so far, like getting to the valley in the early morning to avoid the crowds and visiting Tioga Pass to also avoid the crowds. I would recommend renting a bike to see the valley at a slower pace then driving through. Also a must do IMO would be the Mist Trail to Vernal and Nevada Falls. I hope the snow fall this year will give you some big water falls.

2008 Toyota Sequoia Limited
2011 Jay Feather X18D
saintsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:06 PM   #13
We've stayed at Yosemite Lakes RV park which is right outside the west gate on highway 120. It's a Thousand Trails campsite but you don't need to be a member. It has full hookups and I believe dry camping as well. It's a decent place to stay and usually available unlike inside the park
2015 Jayco White Hawk 28dsbh
2014 Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 w/Ecoboost
H/D tow package

2005 Forest River Rockwood 2601 (Sold)
2011 Ford Expedition XLT (Sold)
2008 Jeep Wrangler (Just for fun!)
Nukeneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:16 PM   #14
Look at wawona, in the park not on the valley floor, close to south gate and often overlooked. In fact, what I have found, many folks who miss out on the 15th of the month reservation opening booked Wawona as a backup then cancel if they can get in to one of Pines CGs on the valley floor. You might just get lucky and pick up a cancelation.

I think May is the best month in the park.

We have taken our dog several times, although Yosemite is certainly not the most dog friendly place.
2007 Chevy Duramax LMM/Allison
2012 Jay Flight 29QBH
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:15 PM   #15
Thank you everyone and by Friday I should have all my plans in place. You've all made this so easy for me and I can't thank you enough.
2010 Jayco Hybrid EXP21M
2013 Toureg TDI
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 08:50 AM   #16
Good luck and have fun at YNP! We were there in 2012 in August and there were a lot of people and tourists from Europe! May/June is a great time to go, right before school kids go on Summer break. You should be able to see a lot of water at various falls! Bring your hiking boots and lots of water--and take lots of pictures/videos!

Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
Thank you everyone and by Friday I should have all my plans in place. You've all made this so easy for me and I can't thank you enough.

U.S. Air Force (1979 to 1994)
2016 Jayco 29.5BHDS
2015 Ram 2500 (w/Cummins Diesel)
Chandler, Arizona
tularockstar is offline   Reply With Quote