Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-20-2016, 10:13 AM   #1

Arches National Park or Dead Horse Point

Hey gang. We are headed to Arches National Park and need your advice as to where to stay. We only need electric. We are considering Dead Horse Point State Park or Arches National Park Campground. Anyone stay at these parks or is there somewhere great nearby?
1965 Mustang
Brewstercrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 10:41 AM   #2

We were out that way last May. Spent one night in the park...there was no electric or water...but very nice!! Felt lucky to get one night. Spent the rest of the time at Portal RV Park. Nice place and we felt a good location.
DeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 01:51 PM   #3

We have stayed at Dead Horse State Park. The park itself is beautiful and its trails are DEFINITELY worth hiking. A downside of Dead Horse is that there is no water for trailer fill ups - only drinking water to put in a bottle; you have to fill up your trailer fresh tank elsewhere. We filled up at Canyonlands National Park on the way to Dead Horse; it's very close to Dead Horse. There were sites large enough for our 30 foot long trailer at Dead Horse and you can reserve a site. It is not nearly as crowded as Arches, which also is a beautiful area and well worth exploring. The campground in Arches did not have sites that would accommodate us and I don't know if the campground reserves. And Arches is so crowded that I'm not sure I would want to camp there.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 04:52 PM   #4

I've stayed at DHPSP and thought it was great. The area is fantastic and the trails are super, for walking or mountain bike riding. I would definitely stay there again. Book early!

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 05:05 PM   #5

Thank you....Its so funny how the different parks are so quirky in what they offer.
1965 Mustang
Old 02-20-2016, 06:36 PM   #6

I would stay at Dead Horse Point, but as others said, no water to fill your tanks at the campground. You could fill at Arches, I think there is a small store south of Moab that lets you dump and fill, I think it is on the southbound side of the road. There is also very good boondocking around Moab if you are feeling adventurous.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 06:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanNJanice View Post
I think there is a small store south of Moab that lets you dump and fill, I think it is on the southbound side of the road. There is also very good boondocking around Moab if you are feeling adventurous.
That would be the Feed/Farm store south of Moab, on the west side of the road. Last time I was there it cost $5, and there was an honor box to stick your money in if the store is closed, so you can go any time.

Free water is available at the park just on the south side of the Colorado River as you're entering Moab.

Sand Flats camp area is on the southeast side of Moab, up the hill. $10 bucks a night, lots of places to camp, but no utilities at all. This is where the famous (at least to mountain bikers) Slickrock trail is.

Spend some time at Canyonlands NP too. Awesome panoramic view to behold there. And there's a campground there, too. Not sure if it has electric, though.

I've spent a lot of time in the area. I miss it a lot.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 06:59 PM   #8

I miss it so much, I just decided to go there myself. I just checked, and found that it would add only 300 miles to my trip back to Seattle from here in Quartzsite. Mid March is my tentative arrive date.

Thanks Brewstercrew for posting your question. You changed my plans- in good way!
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 07:40 PM   #9

Glad to help

Sure
1965 Mustang
Old 02-21-2016, 03:54 PM   #10

We have four nights reserved at DHSP in early May. Looking for a good private CG with FHU for another 2-3 nights.
2015 Jayco Whitehawk 27DSRL
2014 Ford F150 Ecoboost w/MaxTow & HD Payload
Nights camped in 2015 - 65; 2016 - 61
edwardo is offline   Reply With Quote