Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-06-2015, 10:21 PM   #1

Austin/San Antonio (early March)

Does anyone have a suggestion for a kid friendly campground in the Austin/San Antonio area? We're wanting to spend spring break there and visit attractions in both cities so something in between would be ideal. Our kids are are 5 and just shy of 2.

We'll be there a week so we need a full hook up/50amp site.

We've been to Yogi at Canyon Lake before and when I was younger we camped at a lot of the state parks. I'm open to both again but wanted to see if there were any other good suggestions.

It doesn't need to have a "ton" of kid activities since we plan on making day trips out most days but it would be nice to have something for them to do when we're not out.

Thank you!
drk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 09:24 AM   #2

Bastrop State Park is nice. It's just South East of Austin There are full-hookup, pull-thru spaces. There is a play ground for the kids, and plenty of hiking trails and such. Despite the fire, it's still a nice place to camp. (note: If you have a dog, watch out for the grass burrs) It's about 15-20 minutes into Austin, and a little over an hour to San Antonio.

There are some Corps of Engineers camping areas on Canyon Lake, but I'm not sure of the amenities there. Canyon Lake was quite nice last time I was there, but that was before the drought, but right now today, it's about 12' below full pool (which actually isn't that bad right now).

Pedernales Falls State Park is about the same distance West of Austin as Bastrop is East. It's a VERY nice park, but the spots don't have sewer.

There are a few private CGs in that area, but nothing like in the areas West of 281. There are a lot of nice parks out that way, but they are pretty inconvenient to Austin. Very convenient to San Antonio though.

There are also a few private CGs along the Guadalupe River North and West of New Braunfels that I hear are pretty nice. There are even some right in New Braunfels (and even one literally right under I-35 as it crosses the Guadalupe River in New Braunfels).

My recommendation is to come up with a list of two or three specific spots you're interested in and inquire on the forum about those specific spots. There are a lot of us on here from this part of Texas and many of us have probably been to the specific parks you're going to ask about.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 09:51 AM   #3

Camber_Bob....Thank you for the recommendations...

I've stayed at Bastrop many times pre fire and prefer state parks over commercial so that's probably our best option so far.

Has anyone stayed at Blanco or Lockhart? They show to have full hookups but are really small parks..

As far as commercial goes..

I found one near Lake Travis that had decent reviews.. LA HACIENDA
Anyone know anything about it?
Old 01-07-2015, 11:39 AM   #4

I also forgot to mention that with all the colleges in this area (Texas State, University of Texas, Texas A&M, UTSA... just to name a few of the bigger ones), you'll want to be careful around that time with Spring Break. The parks fill up FAST during that time of year. I won't even go THROUGH New Braunfels during Spring Break, the place becomes an absolute zoo.

Sorry, I haven't been to Blanco or Lockhart. Texashighsheriff might know about La Hacienda, that's his neighborhood IIRC.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 01-07-2015, 12:13 PM   #5

Good point.. I just checked and it looks like our spring break March 9-13 is the week before the colleges but confirms my idea to get out of austin before the weekend starts.
Old 01-07-2015, 03:34 PM   #6

We stayed at Lockhart State Park a few years back. Full hookup sites are in a circle. They do have a few sites down near the water but I don't think they had hookups. If you are a golfer this place is for you. They do have a playground, swimming pool (but doesn't open til Memorial Weekend), small store and hiking trails. It is close to town and a small park it was also was very clean. We stayed there because my brother has a flight school and manages the Lockhart airport. It was fun to see the park from the air too.
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 05:03 PM   #7

McKinney Falls state park in Austin has a lot to offer. Close to everything. 5 min from Austin airport.
Ustabslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 07:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texashighsheriff View Post
McKinney Falls state park in Austin has a lot to offer. Close to everything. 5 min from Austin airport.

+1

But no sewer connections except at host sites. VERY nice park though!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 01-08-2015, 01:30 PM   #9

Blanco State Park is small but very nice. Blanco is a nice small town with some good dinning spots. You are also close to Johnson City and not that far from Fredericksburg for a day trip.

We actually winter at the Summit Resort In the New Braunfels/Canyon Lake area. Summit used to be a private members only resort but is now open to the public. The summit has two nice swimming pools and many recreational facilities (put-put golf, shuffle boad, basketball and tennis courts, etc. in addition to tube rides down the Guadalupe Daily rates are higher, but by week or month it's not too bad.
BeemerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 06:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ustabslim View Post
This is where we'll be during Spring Break in March. Never stayed before, but friends of ours say it's great, kid friendly and good spot to be to go to Austin and/or San Antonio.
Bookemdanno is offline   Reply With Quote