Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-17-2016, 09:55 AM   #21

There is a thermocline in Superior. Only at the top layer are the temps 65-70. Three feet down its in the upper 30's.

I would ask David about camping at Rock island. They had a major storm last December. The lodge is fine but the beach is not. at least it was not in January. They are of course rebuilding.

I live half an hour from OOB. I would pay attention to what the natives do . Wetsuit. Every year or so someone takes a rec kayak out there wearing a bathing suit, gets washed out, cant get back to shore, flips,and dies of hypothermia.

Surface temps don't tell the whole tale. If you want one or two passes with the board you might be fine with no thermal protection. But a longer outing especially with wind needs a wetsuit. There are places to rent them.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:44 AM   #22

Try Myrtle Beach State Park in South Carolina. The best keep secret in Myrtle Beach. It is a short walk to the beach. It is also a true campground with trees. Not some travel park. Has a fishing pier and a store. My family has been going there since I was a little boy. We love it. I suggest it all the time. Check out the web site. Reservation are made on line.
Baseball32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 11:07 AM   #23

Outer Banks NC

Beach on one side, half mile (if that) on the other side you have the sound with a great area to SUP, fish, kayak. Waves one side, no waves the other!
Knauby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 01:26 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswald One View Post
I think we are getting closer to a visit to Maine. By bride has set her focus on Wild Acres, although I had pointed out Castaways as a possibility as well.
We stayed at Wild Acres for a week last year and were impressed with it. Campsites were spacious and plenty activities in the campground or around town locally. We enjoyed riding our bikes down to the beach nightly and even caught a firework show one night. Facilities they offered were so clean I'd venture in the bathroom shoeless if I had to !!!!!! This picture shows our site, this appeared to be about the norm for sites UNLESS you got down where the BIG 5'ers and Motorcoaches were then it wasnt as spacious.
Attached Thumbnails
11755659_10206510714582574_5699598317441347336_n.jpg  
Fill The Coolers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 04:53 PM   #25

Thanks for the input all. Kim convinced me that Maine is not the Summer "Beach" location we were looking for. We are more Myrtle Beach types... But have done that 4 times in the last few years. Wild Acres is still on our to do list but probably for a fall visit.

We ended up going in a different direction and booked Anchor Downs in Tennessee. No boogie boarding but plenty of other activities to keep us busy. The kids have never visited that part of North America so it should be a good adventure for them

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote