Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-23-2016, 09:22 PM   #1

Beechbend RV park, Bowling Green, KY?

Any comments on this park? Looking to stay in Bowling Green 11/13 and 14, KOA is a bit pricy for this time of year. Any others within 10 minute drive?

Thanks in advance,
Old 10-23-2016, 09:52 PM   #2

We often rely on RV Park Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks for park information.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 05:15 AM   #3

Used that site

I read those reviews the other day. That's the reason I was inquiring about Beechbend. Most of the reviews spoke poorly about Beechbend so I thought I would seek advice on the forum. Since it's only a 2 night trip I'll likely stay at KOA and pay the exhorbitant fees.
NickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 08:51 AM   #4

We typically won't stay anywhere that's not rated at least a 7.5 on RV Park Reviews.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 09:45 AM   #5

We just finished up a week's stay at BG KOA and we also took a drive through Beech Bend CG.

We normally don't stay at either of these types of campgrounds, preferring state parks. But we were using the KOA and our TT as more of a motel room than a camping experience as we wanted to be near BG for other business.

Beech Bend looked OK. With the amusement park closed for the season, the CG was pretty empty. It has "parking lot" type sites (no trees, little space between spurs) as well another whole area where the sites are under large trees, more space, and more of a CG feel. We thought it would have been OK to stay there, but it is further out from BG.

The KOA also had a lot of sites that were tree covered. All in all, it was very clean and well maintained. But the sites were VERY close to each other. I had no desire to sit at a picnic table that was right next to the sewer drain and hose of the adjacent camping rig. Also, the fire grate is an old tire rim and any fire might scorch the fiberglass of the adjacent trailer. As I said, we were gone most days and only used our camper as a hotel room on this trip, so it didn't matter to us. We never ate outside the camper or had a fire.

But the KOA is right in BG and very convenient to BG attractions (Corvette museum, etc). Unfortunately, it is also butts up against the freeway, so not a real quiet setting.

I hope this info helps you, although it was just our experience. We had no real complaints, but others may have other experiences or thoughts.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 07:02 AM   #6

Thank you, exactly the type of information I was seeking

We are going to a wedding so our trip is similar to yours, just need a motel room in BG. There are better campgrounds but all are at least 20 miles out. The main reason to take our Precept is this will be the second shakedown trip before we leave for FL in January, need to sort out any issues beforehand.

Thanks for the great report.
Old 10-27-2016, 09:33 AM   #7

OK, I have to tell a story about my first stay at Big Bend.
I was 16 at the time - just received my drivers license and my parents were letting me drive (with RV in tow) almost all the time - I was in heaven. I'm 65 now so I'll let you do the math about what year that was.

After we had setup camp, I realized that the park ran a drag strip that was open to the public. I'm not talking about just being open to the public to "watch" - it was open to the public to "race". I guess the city/police/park thought it was better to let the kids drag in a supervised place than on city streets. As we all know - it would NEVER happen today - but this was a different era and they did work very hard to keep it as save as possible - I remember the lanes were very far apart and there was a huge grass "run out" area at the end of the strip with no obstructions for example.

Now you would think it was all hot rods - not so, kids were showing up and racing with the family sedan.

My Dad (by the time I knew him) was very quiet, conservative and I never considered him "adventurous." But somehow the teenager was awakened and he actually agreed (to my mother's horror) when I asked if I could race the family's tow vehicle, a 1965 Ford Fairlane station wagon with a 6 (yes we were towing with a 6cyl).
You signed up, listed your car (with engine info, etc.) and the off duty policemen who were running the strip would "pair" you up with another contestant they thought would be a fair match.
They paired me with an old Ford sedan of some type (too many years ago to remember exactly) but because they decided the station wagon was heavier, they made 3 friends ride with the other guy to weigh down his car. Can you imagine the police requiring more people in a drag race :-)!

I lost. I had an automatic and he was driving a manual - he was able to over-rev in 1st and 2nd and pull away faster. I think Dad was more crushed than I was LOL.

It was stupid, it was over in a minute, but it was one of those bonding experiences with my Dad that I will never forget. And I will never forget Big Bend park - although I've never been back since '67 - guess I should visit again sometime. Bet they don't still have the drag strip :-).
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 09:38 AM   #8

Great story!

It's a wonder we are all still alive today despite ourselves.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 03:41 PM   #9

Sounds vaguely familar

I'm only 2 years older than you and that dragstrip story rang a bell in my memory. We used to drive to Clay City Dragway in central KY to watch the races there and I recall hearing about another KY strip that let you "run what you brung" style of racing. I'll check it out in about 3 weeks, thanks for the story.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:38 PM   #10

Similar experiences in a lot of places.
No doubt a lot of family sedans ended up with blown engines and wrecked trannies by young boys (and dads) seeking the thrill to "burn up that 1/4 mile."
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote