Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-12-2013, 06:36 PM   #1

Beware of Reserve America

In May 2013 made a reservation or a campsite in Mississippi through Reserve America. The reservation was made using our debit card as a credit card and everything went okay. The site we chose was reserved and available when we arrived.

Then a week ago we received an email from some place called Active Advantage. Neither my wife nor I recalled signing up for their email. Then this week we received a notice stating that our temporary membership had lapsed and that they had charged us $64.95 for a one year membership using the credit card information we had provided when reserving the campsite. We never authorized this charge. We immediately contacted Active Advantage and they told me that we had signed up for their service as part of the campsite reservation process. Apparently Reserve America is a subsidiary of Active.com and that they automatically enroll you for a trial membership when you make a reservation unless you opt out during the reservation process. However, when I recently returned to the website to make a trial reservation I saw no indication of anyplace to opt out of special offers or trial memberships.

I complained to Reserve America and Active Advantage. Reserve America said there was nothing they could do because Active.com is their parent company. The people I spoke with at Active Advantage said they would refund my membership fee, but it would take 3-5 business days to do so. I also notified my bank not to pay the charge as it is in dispute. I have notified the Good Sam Club, the Pennsylvania Attorney General and plan to call the Mississippi Parks Department and other state park departments that use the Reserve America system to complain to them about their choice of reservation service and its unethical practices.

Apparently this company also does race registrations for local 5K and 10K races as well as other events.
us71na is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:43 PM   #2

Beware of Reserve America

This happens all the time and people complain it's a scam. It's not. I use reserve America for two local state parks and during the registration process a window pops up about the feature you're complaining about. I believe you have to uncheck the box so this doesn't happen to you.

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:05 PM   #3
Site Team

I have seen that box and unchecked it. Never had a problem.

Sounds like it is a little shady for you to have to opt out. Hope you can get it resolved satisfactorily.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm11599ps View Post
This happens all the time and people complain it's a scam. It's not. I use reserve America for two local state parks and during the registration process a window pops up about the feature you're complaining about. I believe you have to uncheck the box so this doesn't happen to you.
correct.

2013 Jayflight 28BHBE
2012 Silverado CC 4X4
Reese Dual Cam/WD
Daryl/Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:34 AM   #5

I'll have to watch for the pop up box. I have been using Reserve America for years and never have had an problem, and never seen the additional Active Advantage pop up. I wonder if it is a location specific feature? I use Reserve America for our state camprgounds, have never used it for any private ones. I wonder if that makes any difference?

2015 Starcraft Travel Star 299BHU Black Pearl Edition
2011 Jayco X23J (traded in)
2013 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew 6.2 Max Tow
7700 GVWR 3.73 E-locker
tslarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:59 AM   #6

Same here
Quote:
Originally Posted by tslarson View Post
I'll have to watch for the pop up box. I have been using Reserve America for years and never have had an problem, and never seen the additional Active Advantage pop up. I wonder if it is a location specific feature? I use Reserve America for our state camprgounds, have never used it for any private ones. I wonder if that makes any difference?

2011 GMC Serria Ext Cab LB
2012 Jayflight 22FB
edowsfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:16 AM   #7

I never saw a pop-up either. No trouble with unexpected charges. I also wonder if its location specific.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:20 AM   #8

Been using RA for years for WI state campgrounds and have never seen an additional window pop up or a box to uncheck. To the OP, good luck getting this settled.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:41 AM   #9

I wonder if your pop-up blocker/filter is set up to where it wouldnt display it or give you the option to opt out.
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:28 AM   #10

I agree and fully understand the OP's frustration with Reserve America/ Active Advantage.

Whether or not the 'subscribe' box was unchecked, just by having it pre-checked before hand is deceptive and a dishonest business practice.
You should never have to unsubscribe from something you don't want.

I was recently in a similar situation where I got a phone call from some 'do nothing' legal service saying my free trial period was beginning and would be automatically renewed and charged to my Visa card. I told them I had never signed up for their service, which they replied I had when I ordered a item on-line. I told them in no uncertain terms to cancel their service or else. I felt there was a possibility this might have been a case of credit card theft or fraud. So I called my credit union and cancelled my card number and they sent me a new card.

Haven't heard a peep from those clowns since.

2016 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5 FBDS w/ 15,000 BTU AC, 50 amp service, upgraded counter top, thermal pane windows, elec. stab jacks, outside grill, backup camera and MORryde pin box.
2011 GMC 2500HD DURAMAX/ ALLISON
Tail_gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:21 PM   #11

Thank you for the warning! Signing you up by default with a pop up window during the reservation process is unethical at best. Good luck with resolving your issues.
MrNiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote