Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-07-2012, 08:36 AM   #1

Big Bend Nat'l or state Park?

we want to head out to the Big Bend area SOON and dont know to stay at one of the pvt,state,or Fed camp grounds.Any suggestions?.For those that dont know there is a Tx state Park next to the Nat'l Park.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:59 AM   #2

Can't answer your question, poohbear but I am anxious to hear what others have to say. We've talked about going out to Big Bend too and friends we have who have been there say it's a great spot to camp.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:07 AM   #3

Wherever you end up, watch your step.....scorpions and rattlesnakes at both, but its all well worth putting up with them.
dg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg1971 View Post
Wherever you end up, watch your step.....scorpions and rattlesnakes at both, but its all well worth putting up with them.
Just like all the campsites here in Texas
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear View Post
Just like all the campsites here in Texas
True....actually never had any problem with any of them...the critter problems we have had were the brown bears in Northern N.M. They will command your attention for sure, especially if you are in their way of food.
dg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:51 PM   #6

I've been going out west to camp in big bend for many years and I really enjoy the National park. I stayed at the state park once and it was very quite and secluded but the facilities were not as nice. There are several different places to camp, I have stayed at the Basin and Rio Grande village. At the basin I think the trailer limit is 25 feet long so if you have a big rig then RGV is the only option. Lots and lots of things to see and do...hiking, biking, or just driving the park and taking tons of pictures. Last time we were hiking in October we saw a bear while in the mountains! It's a long drive but it's worth it, I promise. I'll look for some pictures for you if your interested.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:53 PM   #7

I'm in Big Bend Ranch State Park now, and just left Big Bend National Park.

The only campground in the National Park really suitable for RV's larger than 20 feet or so is one of two at Rio Grande Village. The state campground has a dump station and a water fill station at the dump station. The sites have no utilities at all, but many are large enough for large RV's and are in a shaded area. Some sites do not allow generator use at all, but most allow 8am to 8pm.

There is a private, full hookup campground at Rio Grande Village. It is essentially a large parking lot - but it's a parking lot in a pretty area.

The Basin area can not handle large RV's (nor can the road you take to get there - it is narrow, and has very very tight turns). At Castolon, there is Cottonwood Campground. I've never stayed there in an RV, but the sites are generally small. I do not think there is a dump, and of course no utilities at the sites.

At Big Bend Ranch State Park, there are really no sites for larger RV's; there are a few that might work for a pickup camper. There are several private RV parks nearby; I am at Maverick Ranch in Lajitas. It's nice, but kind of pricey - $39 a night.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote