Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-14-2016, 06:11 PM   #1

California - family camping for Thanksgiving

Hi All,

The trailer has not arrived yet, but I am trying to plan a couple of trips later this fall. Please could you recommend any family friendly campground in California for Thanksgiving? I am located in SF Bay Area, but would rather go south (or east) to enjoy warmer weather. In the past we were skiing for Thanksgiving, but since the family is growing, we need to take a break.

We will be family of four (2.5 yrs and 8 months young kids – this one is on the way) plus overenergetic golden retriever.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:17 PM   #2

Grand Canyon. South rim

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 07:00 PM   #3

Death Valley NP, either Furnace Creek or Stovepipe Wells campgrounds

2005 Forest River Rockwood 2601 (Sold)
2011 Ford Expedition XLT (Sold)
2008 Jeep Wrangler (Just for fun!)
Nukeneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 07:55 PM   #4

Pismo coast village
Morro Bay State Park
Pismo SB - North Beach CG

In that order.

For either SP you need to be ready at 7am on 4/1 to grab your site. For PCV it's a phone reservation that starts on 5/1.

We find the weather on the Central CA Coast to be the absolute best between Sept and Oct. we joke the seasons are all delayed by one. Fall = Summer, Winter = Fall etc etc etc.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 09:50 PM   #5

Thank you guys! All great suggestions, but Morro Bay / Pismo Beach are the most optimal as traveling with two small kids long distance can be challenging.

I understand that I need to be ready for booking on 5/1 to grab a site in Nov...
Old 03-14-2016, 11:05 PM   #6

Pismo Coast Village is a great place for kids and its on the beach and a real short walk to town and ICE CREAM.
Old 03-15-2016, 03:24 PM   #7

It looks from the images I found in internet that the sites are pretty close to each other in Pismo Coast Village with not a look grass. It looks like sites in Morro Bay State Park or Pismo SB - North Beach CG are more dispersed... is this correct?
Old 03-15-2016, 05:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
It looks from the images I found in internet that the sites are pretty close to each other in Pismo Coast Village with not a look grass. It looks like sites in Morro Bay State Park or Pismo SB - North Beach CG are more dispersed... is this correct?
Pismo SB North Beach provides the most space between sites. Quite a lot in fact. Pismo SB is no hook ups.

Morro Bay SP is typical SP. Have you stayed at New Brighton in Capitola? It would say Morro Bay is very similar. Also like New Brighton, Morro Bay has some Elec sites but they are very tight.

Both SP have dump stations.

Although tighter than the SP, PCV has so much to offer. Full Hookups, heated pool, lots of kids activities, extremely clean shower/bath house should you want to use them to keep sand out of the TT.

PCV is routinely rated one of the best CG in CA and US -- but the trade is its tighter, that is some extremely valuable land being in town and ocean front. I haven't been in several month, but I hear they are actively removing trees. The recent winter storm took out some trees, crushed a couple RVs, so now they are working on making the rest safe. Its shame if they lose the trees, but safety is paramount.
Old 03-15-2016, 09:29 PM   #9

Are you looking for more of a wilderness camping experience with the kids or more RV resort type place?

Previous TV: 2004 Ford Exedition w/ heavy duty tow package[/COLOR]
Country_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 10:05 PM   #10

Good question. That will be one of the first camping trips with our kids, so can't tell which is more recommended by people who are more experienced...

Generally, we love wilderness, quiet places. I would say, a wilderness camping with a pet friendly beach would be the first choice.
Old 03-15-2016, 11:18 PM   #11

It is a personal thing of course and kids would probably love either choice. My preference is more wilderness. I don't go camping to be around other people and feel like I'm at a hotel. Little kids love nature and my kids have always loved exploring and appreciating wildlife and the outdoors. You'll have to try both if you're not sure which you prefer. The Central Coast is beautiful. Before we got our own trailer last summer the only places we camped there so far are by the Kern River, Lake Lopez (in a rented trailer) and a KOA in Santa Paula (in a tent.)

Lake Lopez was great. We started out boondocking and unfortunately pulled in at night. We had a bad setup with a trailer too heavy for our TV at the time. Pulled into a spot on a hill and couldn't get out. It was a bit spooky. Just camped there for the night. It was an AMAZING spot when we woke up in the morning! Gorgeous. Unfortunately we were concerned about being stuck so we had to get help getting out of there and moved to the hookup sites. We were there during the week and it was wonderful! Because it so empty all the wildlife came into camp. We had deer, raccoons, California quails (state bird), and turkeys! There was a park for the kids and the beach of the lake within walking distance. My dogs had fun in the water. We rented jet skis one day too. I would definitely go back.

The KOA was a little less private but still kind of fun. They have a zip line and a big air pillow to jump on.

The campground by Kern was not the best and the bathrooms were disgusting. Lots of riff raff type of people. Luckily we found a great spot tucked in the corner. Going back next month actually with our boy scouts for river rafting again.

HTH. Lmk if you want the primo spot numbers.

Previous TV: 2004 Ford Exedition w/ heavy duty tow package[/COLOR]
Country_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:24 PM   #12

Lake Lopez is great too. Lots of wildlife and only ~15min to the beach should you want to go there for a day trip.
Old 03-17-2016, 04:30 PM   #13

San Simeon State Park - go to Hearst Castle and see the elephant seals too...

Hearst San Simeon SP

Home - Hearst Castle

Elephant Seals at San Simeon CA Piedras Blancas Rookery

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:50 PM   #14

Thank you Guys! Pismo SB North Beach is where we are heading for Thanksgiving! Hopefully, it won't be too cold...
Old 05-21-2016, 10:23 AM   #15

Death Valley! If you don't mind dry camping, recommend Texas Springs. Great climbing the badlands right next to the campground and a short distance (walking) to Furnace Creek.
Old 05-21-2016, 01:25 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethcb View Post
Death Valley! If you don't mind dry camping, recommend Texas Springs. Great climbing the badlands right next to the campground and a short distance (walking) to Furnace Creek.
We've been there several times during Thanksgiving. We usually stay at Stovepipe Wells. They have limited full hookups but a plethora of dry camping spots. Weather has always been perfect and it's usually not too crowded. Few realize that it's a National Park with many things to do and see. Love that place at that time of the year
Nukeneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 01:15 PM   #17

Pismo SB North Beach was great for Thanksgiving. It rained on Saturday, but wasn’t that bad. I saw Pismo coast village – not my type of camping (YMMV). Thanks for recommendations!
Old 11-29-2016, 01:43 PM   #18

Glad you enjoyed Pismo SB North Beach. Its one of our favorites too, we were there the week prior.

I hear you on PCV...its not really camping, but we still enjoy it. Have been going there for 30+ years. Its tight, but when you go with a group of 5-6 families all together the sites blend together and its nice for the kids to use the heated pool and hot tub after spending a day in the ocean.

Did you find the Old West Cinnamon Roll shop? Wait in the hour+ line at the Splash Café for the famous clam chowder?

Pismo is only about 90 min from home for us and 1/2 way between my home and brother in Santa Barbara so we are there a lot.
Old 11-29-2016, 02:25 PM   #19

To be honest, we did not explore the town that much. We stayed on the beach / played outside, went to San Luis Obispo Children's Museum when it rained...
Old 11-29-2016, 02:50 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

We really enjoyed a RV resort in Buellton, Ca. Close drive to Cambria and Herst Csdtle. Also close to Slovan which is like s Dutch town.

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote