Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-29-2011, 07:15 AM   #1

Campground suggestions

I'm looking for a nice little campground in south central, or south east PA. I just want a cheap weekend to get out of the house again before our bigger trip in late August. Does anyone have any suggestions. I have 3 kids, oldest 7 and the youngest is 2 so a nice playground or kids activities would help. Thanks!
Old 06-29-2011, 07:27 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by familybonding View Post
I'm looking for a nice little campground in south central, or south east PA. I just want a cheap weekend to get out of the house again before our bigger trip in late August. Does anyone have any suggestions. I have 3 kids, oldest 7 and the youngest is 2 so a nice playground or kids activities would help. Thanks!
I would look at a KOA campground close by. I have heard there are lots of things for kids to do and they are nice campgrounds.

Kathie
Moving Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:58 AM   #3

KOA for sure. Map shows at least 6 in that area.

2007 1500 Silverado
2010 28bhs Jayflight
joefresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:14 PM   #4
Site Team

If you're looking for "cheap", then I have to assume you're leaning toward something like a state park. In PA, that means you'll be limited to electric only as far as hookups go. For a weekend, I would think you could survive with that. Here's two SP in the area you're looking at that I've camped at and recommend.

Codorus State Park

The park is located just southeast of Hanover, PA. The campground is relatively flat making it bike friendly for kids. Codorus is one of the rare PA state parks that has a swimming pool and it's in walking distance from the campground. However, if you have small children and/or need to bring a lot things with you to the pool, you might want to drive instead.

Cowans Gap State Park

If you're willing to travel a bit further west, Here's a small "compact" (only 1,085 acres) state park with everything you need for for a great time. This park is in a picturesque setting nestled in the mountains. The park is accessible from either the PA Turnpike or US-30 via PA-75. The "A" section starts out flat but becomes fairly hilly and not what I consider bike friendly. The "B" section is better but has fewer sites. You can bike (or walk) around the small (42 acre) lake with ease. The lake's beach area is sandy and has a snack bar. Below is a picture of the lake at Cowans Gap SP.

Both parks generally have good, planned, activities on weekends for "children" of all ages during the summer season. They also usually have a non-denominational church service on Sundays.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:14 PM   #5

Thanks for the ideas. I will check them out.