Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-13-2015, 07:23 PM   #1

Campgrounds in New York and New Jersey

We are planning a trip to New York city the last two weeks of May of this year. Looking for any information about campgrounds that will accommodate our 40' fifth wheel. Looking at taking day trips into the city. Any advice welcomed.

2012 F250 Super Duty
2014 Jayco Premier 361REQS
Super Springs
Yamerhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 07:05 AM   #2

How far out from the city are willing to be?

Adk Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 07:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamerhammer View Post
We are planning a trip to New York city the last two weeks of May of this year. Looking for any information about campgrounds that will accommodate our 40' fifth wheel. Looking at taking day trips into the city. Any advice welcomed.
I would suggest taking a train into Manhattan as parking will be very limited and expensive ($60.00 per day) for your TV due to size and height. Also tolls will be a lot, $15.00+ per day roughly depending on inbound route. If you really want to drive then get an EZ Pass if you don't have one yet.

Which side do you want? East or West. If you go through to LI there is nothing east until about 1:15hrs away, but you can take the LIRR to Penn Station. Just avoid rush hour time frames coming and going. Go during these windows 9-4, 7-10. Wildwood SP would be your best bet for this. You will need to cross GWB and Throgs Neck which will cost you about $75.00 round trip.

If North you will want to most likely stay along the Hudson or just east in CT to be by the trains.

Cannot help on the Jersey side as I have not stayed that close nor do I really think there is anything that close due to industry. Jersey shore you might find more though.

Blackbear in Florida NY has a bus I think that runs down a few times a week. Check into campgrounds with NYC busses as part of the stay. Delaware water gap area in western NJ and east PA might have campgrounds with that amenity.

Hope this helps.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:11 AM   #4

I am planning a similar trip for next year. Pretty much have been in the planning stage for the last couple of years - I get my sabbatical from work next year. Anyway, I think I am going to try and get a spot at Liberty Harbor. From what I can tell, it is a good location and gets decent reviews.
http://www.libertyharborrv.com/

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 02:31 PM   #5

My DW has also expressed an Interest to travel to NYC. She would like to the the Statue of Liberty, stop by Ground Zero to pay respects to those lost on that dreadful day, and visit some of the other sites around the State. I have no idea where I might want to camp so any suggestions relative to those destinations might be helpful.

Thanks for the link Nunyadamn.... Guess somewhere like that would work for us. LOL

Edit: The rates are pretty high at that Liberty Harbor RV. And I saw some folks post that camping rates @ Ontario Parks are expensive. hahaha.
Equalizer 10k WD, Prodigy P3 Controller, TST TPMS

2012 - Jayco Sport 10 Popup - Traded
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 03:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwood View Post
My DW has also expressed an Interest to travel to NYC. She would like to the the Statue of Liberty, stop by Ground Zero to pay respects to those lost on that dreadful day, and visit some of the other sites around the State. I have no idea where I might want to camp so any suggestions relative to those destinations might be helpful.

Thanks for the link Nunyadamn.... Guess somewhere like that would work for us. LOL

Edit: The rates are pretty high at that Liberty Harbor RV. And I saw some folks post that camping rates @ Ontario Parks are expensive. hahaha.
Yes, you are definitely paying for location because there are no amenities for liberty park from my standards. Make sure you do the math for any other places around there. My guess, the cost of traveling back and fourth to other campsites to the city, depending on how long you stay and how often you travel into the city, may end up costing close to the price of staying farther away. I personally don't want to travel an hour each way on a train from another park each way for 2 weeks. I am surely not driving my truck and paying for parking.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 05:37 PM   #7

There is no frills at Liberty harbor, I work in the area often. If you plan on NYC you are about a 3 min drive to Liberty state park, and a 6 block walk to the hudson river which you can see freedom tower from the camping area which is just a parking lot. It would be worth it for a couple days while playing in the city. When you are done there are some real nice campgrounds 1 hr away in Pennsylvania. I don't recommend commuting since we have some wicked rush hrs. Any questions about the area feel free to pm
chrisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 06:36 PM   #8

I've stayed at Liberty Harbor. Its literally a parking lot with hookups. You are not paying for amenities at the park, you are paying for LOCATION. There is a decent bathhouse.

Its about a half mile (maybe a touch more) walk to the Grove St PATH train (Port Authority of NY/NJ). The PATH train takes you straight into Lower Manhattan/WTC area, or up into central Manhattan. From there you can hop straight onto the subway or get out on foot. Its also a short drove to the Holland Tunnel straight into Manhattan.

For seeing the city, there isn't a better RV park. If you like the "camping experience" then this isn't the place for you. The price is absurd, but it beats renting a hotel room or spending an hour each way on the train just to get to the city.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 09:11 PM   #9

Thanks for all the replys. We are going to have to rethink this. But we haven't given up yet. Looks like a lot of travel time to and from NYC back to the campgrounds

2012 F250 Super Duty
2014 Jayco Premier 361REQS
Super Springs
Yamerhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 04:53 PM   #10

Honestly its not that big of a deal to get to and from Liberty Harbor. If I remember correctly, you can buy an unlimited pass on the PATH for a set period of time (1 day, 1 week, 1 month) and come to and from as many times as you want. I think there is also a ferry that runs from the marina to lower Manhattan.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote