Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-19-2016, 10:43 AM   #1

Camping suggestions near Middlebury Factory

I want to do some site seeing while I am in the area. This will give me a chance to really shake down the unit after the PDI and have any open issues resolved while I am still in the area.

Anyone have some suggestions for sites near the factory that are well worth the visit? Being from the south, I am not too familiar with the area attractions.

May stay a week or two before heading back to Houston. Just depends on how much fun we are having and what we uncover during this shake down run.

Thanks in advance.

1) Auburn Cord Dusenburg Museum
2)Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum
3) Turkey Run State Park
4) Brown County State Park
5) White River State Park
6) Cliffty Falls State Park
7) Indiana Dunes State Park
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:16 AM   #2

There is a KOA north of Middleberry about 5 miles stayed there when I was there.
sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:19 AM   #3

When will you be going? Winter lasts much too long in the north.
A couple of places to stay come to mind...
The RV Musuem in Elkhart, IN (west of Middlebury) allows boondocking before and after visiting the museum.
There is a KOA a very short way north of downtown Middlebury on Indiana 13. It's not far from Shipshewana, a town known for its Amish giftshops etc.

You'll probably find LOTS of places to camp when you start to look. There are many lakes in the general area and even more lakes if you venture into southern MI.

Did you check where you are buying your unit? Some of them have hookups on their site for short shakedown stays.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:22 AM   #4

Elkhart Campground, Shipshewana N. CG. Elkhart is a little further from the Factory, but very close to the RV Museum . Also closest to Southbend and the Studebaker Museum, Notre Dame .
Old 01-19-2016, 11:35 AM   #5

The closest to the factory is the KOA... less than 5 miles, and on the same road as the factory. We spent 2 days at the Shipshewana Flea Market, and still didn't see it all. It's so big, that they have their own campground.

This is our favorite restaurant:
Essenhaus Amish Style Inn, Conference Center & Restaurant - Middlebury, IN

It's very close to the factory, and has family style, menu service, and buffet. And, it's own bakery! WooHoo!

Our favorite bakery / deli:
Middlebury – Rise’n Roll Bakery

Enjoy!
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 12:31 PM   #6

Fairenatic:

There is an RV site that sits between the Shipshewana Flea Market and a motel. I happened to notice this RV site while staying at the motel awaiting direct delivery of a Jayco 23 RB last May. Water and electric facilities seemed obvious but I am unsure about sewer, although it seems there were full service parking spots. It is only a very short drive from Shipshewana to Middlebury. Indeed, next time I buy direct I'll use the Shipshewana RVpark for overnight shake down before going to my home in Florida.
Gharwali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 01:09 PM   #7

Thanks guys and gals. Us southern folk are not used to remembering there is more than one season during the year. Some of the sites are closed till after March. I do not mind driving into another state. I cal always hit Jayco on the way back. Might as well spend a couple of weeks if the weather permits if I am going to drive all that way.

Your input is appreciated.

P.S. The weather may be a good reason to wait until March to pick it up although the excitement is hard to deny.
360 degree Virtual Tour
Old 01-19-2016, 01:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
When will you be going? Winter lasts much too long in the north.
A couple of places to stay come to mind...
The RV Musuem in Elkhart, IN (west of Middlebury) allows boondocking before and after visiting the museum.
There is a KOA a very short way north of downtown Middlebury on Indiana 13. It's not far from Shipshewana, a town known for its Amish giftshops etc.

You'll probably find LOTS of places to camp when you start to look. There are many lakes in the general area and even more lakes if you venture into southern MI.

Did you check where you are buying your unit? Some of them have hookups on their site for short shakedown stays.
I am picking it up from the Jayco factory. I will also be taking the tour while there.

Now I am just hoping the weather cooperates. I was just looking for input from those who have camped in the area. I do not mind driving a ways if the site is worth the stay. I like lakeside camping.

P.S. I am amazed at the number of sites available. Almost too many. Hard to sort out what is worth our time or not, hence the request for advice.

Thanks again for your help.
360 degree Virtual Tour
Old 01-19-2016, 03:56 PM   #9

Fairenatic,

At the Elkhart Visitor Center you can get a Free Travel Guide and Heritage Trail Audio Tour CD.

We did this years ago and if it's the same, it's great. It's a self guided tour. The CD gives you driving directions and places to stop along with things to see.

We're hoping to do a factory tour this summary and we'll probably do the Heritage Trail Audio Tour again when we're there.

Enjoy the trip and your new Jayco.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROC-REQS View Post
Fairenatic,

At the Elkhart Visitor Center you can get a Free Travel Guide and Heritage Trail Audio Tour CD.

We did this years ago and if it's the same, it's great. It's a self guided tour. The CD gives you driving directions and places to stop along with things to see.

We're hoping to do a factory tour this summer and we'll probably do the Heritage Trail Audio Tour again when we're there.

Enjoy the trip and your new Jayco.
Thanks for the heads up. I will give them a call in the morning.

And thanks for the the kind words. It is appreciated.
360 degree Virtual Tour
Old 01-19-2016, 09:52 PM   #11

Most of the state parks you mentioned have great camping and hiking, but weather in Indiana will not be to your liking until April. March?? Jan Feb Nada. Indy is a good 2+ hours south of Middlebury. Not familiar with anything within 30 miles so can't help you there, but If you're picking up a unit in the next couple of months, anything in Indiana will be cold winter camping, including southern half of the state. Turkey Run, Shades, McCormics creek and Brown county state parks are my personal favorites. Lived in Indiana until we retired to southern KY 11 years ago.

Just sent you a PM and would love to see any feedback about the National Forest / COE and other Federal areas in the eastern part of the state north of Houston.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 03:01 AM   #12

We've stayed at the KOA in Middlebury a few times. Not too bad I guess. Also stayed over in Elkhart. Season is key though. Last run we made up there in winter, a lot had the water shut off for the season. We knew this ahead of time, but still went. Were lucky enough to have an ambulance place next to campground and filled our tanks there. It also snowed a good bit so made driving the motorhome interesting. Luckily up there, they don't play when it comes to clearing roads. Downside, you leave with a nice coat of salt under your rig. This is the biggest reason I'm picky about when I have one built. Guaranteed a salted frame if built in the snow months. If you do have to deal with that, make sure you get the frame rinsed off good. You would think being the RV capital, you'd have a ton of nice RV parks in the area, but not the case. You can find some, but gotta drive out of the area.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 04:56 AM   #13
Site Team

We stayed at the KOA a few years ago while awaiting to get in to a rally at the Fairgrounds. It was nice and close to everything we wanted to see.

edit: memory jog! We stayed at Elkhart CG. It looked like an old KOA but was nice.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 06:15 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairenatic View Post
P.S. The weather may be a good reason to wait until March to pick it up although the excitement is hard to deny.
If you're planning on camping, I'm guessing a lot of campgrounds (if not all) in the area may not open until April.

KOA in Middlebury doesn't open until April 1. I've had friends that camped there and said it was nice.

We've camped at the Elkhart Campground in the past. Not sure if it would be open in March.

Any campground you're thinking about staying at I would call to make sure they are open.

My one rule when camping early or late season here in the north, if there's snow on the roads, I don't move. No sense in risking it.

Safe travels.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:52 AM   #15

I really appreciate the input. I would not even consider it if I was not caught so off guard. 6 weeks early is always a good thing but I have decided to wait at least until March 1st to see what the weather looks like.

I have no problem putting more cash down for another month if I have to. No sense risking the weather.

I did not even think about it having salt all over it. I am hoping it has not left the factory parking lot yet and this is not yet the case. But, when I do finally pick it up, I will make sure to hose her down real well.

Living in the Houston area most of my life, you get spoiled. Cars do not rust out and salt is not a concern.

And I did know some were closed when I was searching and made my initial list.

So, I am convinced. I will wait as long as I can stand it. You can imagine my anticipation though. Christmas is already going to be 3 months late for me. Now it may be longer!!!
360 degree Virtual Tour
Old 01-20-2016, 07:57 AM   #16
Site Team

I ordered a rig once that was delivered from the Middlebury area to SC in January, worst blizzard ever I think.

I was in a rush to get it also but when we saw it, I could hardly tell what color it was from the trip. It was covered with black ice and road grime. They had it powered up and we had a decent PDI.
My wife and I went to get some coffee and when we came back, it was washed all over and clean.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 10:50 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairenatic View Post
I really appreciate the input. I would not even consider it if I was not caught so off guard. 6 weeks early is always a good thing but I have decided to wait at least until March 1st to see what the weather looks like.
...snip...
Living in the Houston area most of my life, you get spoiled. Cars do not rust out and salt is not a concern.
...snip...
So, I am convinced. I will wait as long as I can stand it. You can imagine my anticipation though. Christmas is already going to be 3 months late for me. Now it may be longer!!!
We were 'in the same boat' last year... trailer ready earlier than we expected. The dealer, Indiana RV Connection, wanted me to pickup the trailer sooner, but agreed to mid-March. I drove solo (both DW and I originally planned to make the trip) to Middlebury from AZ in mid-March in 2 1/2 days. All was good except for the last 100 mi - roads were totally snow covered and very icy. I'm originally from MI so that didn't worry me too much, but I averaged 20-25mph for those last miles and saw MANY slide offs etc. Some slide offs were pulling new trailers going out from Middlebury.

FYI: It was not truly a snowstorm, but can and does snow in March.

After the PDI, my new trailer and I spent the rest of the day at a local motel and got an early start the next day to return to AZ. By that time, all roads were clear and dry.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote