Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-17-2016, 04:07 PM   #1

Camping with YOUNG kids

Hey Guys,

I have two kids - 2.5 yrs and 5 months. Last week we went for the first time for camping. Nice, quiet camping - Fallen Leaf Lake by Tahoe. My wife and I were enjoying the time. However, the 2.5 yrs old was bored after 2-3 days.

My questions - what kind of entertainment you are providing to your young kids to keep them happy at campground?

I definitely prefer state / national campgrounds, but after this experience I am wondering whether we should focus on KOA campground (they have pools, playgrounds, etc.) for the time being, i.e. up until the kids are old.

Thanks!
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 04:53 PM   #2

RV parks with activities and amenities are definitely the way to go with young children in my opinion. As they grow and develop an interest in camping, you can move towards the state Parks.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 07:47 PM   #3

Going to a campground with swings, playground, etc. will go a long way to keeping young children entertained. And I assume you bring toys from home. But don't forget to use the landscape -- go for short hikes (2.5 yrs is not too young); look for and talk about 'discoveries' along the way (flowers, pine cones, toads and frogs, birds, intriguing pebbles, etc.) and bring along a magnifying glass to get an eyeful of what you come across; bring plastic jars to collect bugs and butterflies (but handle carefully, and let them go after a time); after returning to the camp site, talk about the child's and your favorite finds and why; collect fallen leaves and make leaf rubbings or try bark rubbings; collect items (if they are not protected by park rules) to take home to make ornaments or other mementos of the trip; take stuffed animals/puppets/figures they'd see in nature to play with; if there's a beach nearby, play in the sand; have coloring books and crayons handy but also give children blank papers so they can draw about their camping experiences; bring along a stash of nature and other books, and set aside a particular time of day to read them to the child (if you don't have nature books, check out a few from the library); doing a 'bird count,' even from the camp site, helps with counting skills; get them involved in camp chores, as appropriate, such as filling and carrying a small container of water (if you don't have a site supply), and bringing sticks to the camp fire ring -- which offers a great time to show how a camp fire is properly built but most important: learning safety rules; tell stories around the camp fire; watch clouds; take photographs to create homemade picture books to help them remember all year; visit nature centers, museums and zoos, and gather ideas from naturalists about kid-friendly, outdoor fun; there are various books that offer many more suggestions. That should be enough to get started! Have fun, enjoy the outdoors, and make memories.
John K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:07 AM   #4

Wow that is some great advice! Are you a school teacher? our kids are much older and I will tell you the bordem problem will never go away. Some places you go are definitely more interesting than others but you have to find many ways for the family enjoying the camping life. In the spring when we bought our first TT my wife and I started looking to all kinds of RV resorts, KOA, SAM's club, Thousand Trails, you name it we looked into for the same reason "to keep the kids busy". What we found in our neck of the woods (WA) is that most if not all those places we went and looked at were real dumpy and didn't look like any photo they posted. Also you will need to like camping so close to someone because you can't even put out your awning without hitting the neighboring TT. For us a place like that wasn't worth having a pool or clubhouse near by. Our state parks are great and usual close to either water or good hiking trails. Although they are very open with small trees you at least have what feels like your own spot and yet close to others enough for the kids to make camping friends. Growing up myself I loved every summer to make new friends at campgrounds to ride bike with or go fishing. I'm newer to this TT hobby but really hope that people out camping don't hide in there own little world like they do in some neighborhoods. Where you drive your car in the garage get out and never see the neighbor right next to you. Just my thoughts and no please no offense to those who don't want to be bugged by socially crazy people like me I know this all to well cause my mom hates to talk to random strangers it freaks her out that's why when she goes camping it's far far from civilization just like her cabin in the mountains.

Happy camping - may the sunsets bring a warm smile to your face and when you look up at the stars it blows your mind.
Dropnaduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 11:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropnaduece View Post
Wow that is some great advice! Are you a school teacher? our kids are much older and I will tell you the bordem problem will never go away. Some places you go are definitely more interesting than others but you have to find many ways for the family enjoying the camping life. In the spring when we bought our first TT my wife and I started looking to all kinds of RV resorts, KOA, SAM's club, Thousand Trails, you name it we looked into for the same reason "to keep the kids busy". What we found in our neck of the woods (WA) is that most if not all those places we went and looked at were real dumpy and didn't look like any photo they posted. Also you will need to like camping so close to someone because you can't even put out your awning without hitting the neighboring TT. For us a place like that wasn't worth having a pool or clubhouse near by. Our state parks are great and usual close to either water or good hiking trails. Although they are very open with small trees you at least have what feels like your own spot and yet close to others enough for the kids to make camping friends. Growing up myself I loved every summer to make new friends at campgrounds to ride bike with or go fishing. I'm newer to this TT hobby but really hope that people out camping don't hide in there own little world like they do in some neighborhoods. Where you drive your car in the garage get out and never see the neighbor right next to you. Just my thoughts and no please no offense to those who don't want to be bugged by socially crazy people like me I know this all to well cause my mom hates to talk to random strangers it freaks her out that's why when she goes camping it's far far from civilization just like her cabin in the mountains.

Happy camping - may the sunsets bring a warm smile to your face and when you look up at the stars it blows your mind.
Oh Gosh, I hope I am not like your mom, lol. I HATE camping in places like jam packed KOA's as described above where there is no separation between neighbors. I'd much rather be out alone on my own 1 acre spot, haha, but I don't mind talking with neighbors at all. However, we do have 4 kids and have been camping since the beginning of their lives. When they were super little going with another family helped especially if they had a little friend. They always seem to meet other kids too. Organized activities or cool things to go do each day helped. Maybe keep trips short and sweet for a while. We have stayed at a KOA and a private campground with a pool. The kids LOVE it. They are not like me with the needing of solitude. So we compromise and do both kinds of trips. We have them bring a few toys and books for themselves too.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Previous TV: 2004 Ford Exedition w/ heavy duty tow package[/COLOR]
Country_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 12:50 PM   #6

Bored kids ??? There must be a disconnect here somewhere, after all going camping s/b like "fun stuff". Its getting away from the tv, video games, city parks and playpens. At 2.5 years old you are talking about an age that can be entertained by playing with something as simple acorns or worms. IMO going to a campground with all the stuff mentioned you might as well stay home and sit in the sun in your back yard.

We started our kids out pretty young and spent all of our outings in State Parks. We sometimes took bikes but for the most part it was baseball gloves and Frisbees. We made games out of what ever was around the campsite or along the trails. It was a long time ago so don't remember the exact ages when we started but you're kids are on the young side to entertain themselves. Probably pretty much 24/7 eating, napping, and being entertained by Mom or Dad. Every park that I remember had small rustic playgrounds and as they got older [maybe over 5] they had ranger events at the visitors center.

If you have to go to a ??Resort?? style theme park like Yoggie Bear etc you are probably setting yourself up for that kind of thing all the time as they get older. Have a brother in law that went to the Smokies once a year until their kids got into sports and I think were on there 4th trip without ever going into the National Park. They were taught very early that they needed miniature golf and carnival style stuff to have fun. There kids are in there 30's now and only take their own kids to Disney or Dollyworld. Sad when kids aren't taught to enjoy nature at an early age.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 01:28 PM   #7

Our culture has evolved into one where we (more younger generations than the baby boomers) need constant external stimulation to avoid being bored. They have grown up going from one extremely stimulating event after another. Wake up and turn on the tv, cram breakfast down their throats. Show up at school, and it's all about visually stimulating videos, movies, powerpoints, fast action sports, texting all day on the cell phone, then home for some interactive video games with someone halfway around the world, internet surfing, interactive homework complete with cartoon characters or sports heroes, then to the bedroom for a movie before sleep. Up the next day and do it all over again.

I like the idea of finding things to keep us busy and our imaginations active. Building things from scratch. Searching through a creek for crawfish. Climbing a tree. Tree forts. Hide and seek in the cornrows. Skipping rocks on the lake. Canoeing for miles, and fishing from the shore. Hiking in the woods, climbing the nearest mountain, exploring backroads in the Jeep, getting shot at with rocksalt by the farmer in his orchard for stealing apples, and just listening to stories of old adventures from the elderly lady at the end of the lane.

Little kids today have a wide range of activities to choose from. But it's easy to fall into the trap of having to be constantly stimulated by external high-energy fast and furious visuals and games. It takes imagination to entertain yourself with a rock. But I think it's very much missing in today's culture. Camping gives us the chance to get back to that, if only for a long weekend or an occasional vacation. Fostering an appreciation for history and relics of a long-past time is an art that only some parents and grandparents seem to be able to do. But I think it helps to raise very well-rounded children in the long run, and is well worth the effort by those of us lucky enough to be able to afford RVing.
Old 09-18-2016, 01:36 PM   #8

Poor Bono is getting a lecture. Their kids are under 3!! Short attention spans are normal at that age and I highly doubt they are addicted to t.v. and video games already. Just change it up for them, take them on hikes, explore nature, cook, etc. Bring a few comfort items for down time. Before you know it they'll be a teenager.....😐

Old 09-18-2016, 02:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country_Mouse View Post
Poor Bono is getting a lecture. Their kids are under 3!! Short attention spans are normal at that age and I highly doubt they are addicted to t.v. and video games already. Just change it up for them, take them on hikes, explore nature, cook, etc. Bring a few comfort items for down time. Before you know it they'll be a teenager.....😐

Not a lecture on my part, just a heads up to get camping with kids off to a good start. It will turn in to the the stuff you mentioned soon enough if they don't get kids off on the right foot. Bono seemed to be overly concerned with stimulating his very young kid. There is nothing at a KOA or Jellystone that will stimulate a 3 year old that you can't find doing simple stuff at a state park. Start by making nature fun and make sure camping is all about family time enjoying things in the woods, streams, and around the campfire.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 05:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Not a lecture on my part, just a heads up to get camping with kids off to a good start. It will turn in to the the stuff you mentioned soon enough if they don't get kids off on the right foot. Bono seemed to be overly concerned with stimulating his very young kid. There is nothing at a KOA or Jellystone that will stimulate a 3 year old that you can't find doing simple stuff at a state park. Start by making nature fun and make sure camping is all about family time enjoying things in the woods, streams, and around the campfire.
Agree with all that! The last two posts just seemed to start to go in the direction of lecturing people like in the hot topic wifi/no wifi threads. I feel for him. My youngest is 6 and my kids always find tons to entertain themselves in nature but having some planned sightseeing outings helps break up the days.

Edit: In a year or two when your baby is older they will be able to play with each other which will greatly increase imaginary play. My younger ones can come up with things to play outside all day long together. You might also want to look at some outdoor games like Bean bag toss, etc. It will get easier as they get just a little bit older and independent.

Old 09-18-2016, 06:11 PM   #11

Depends on your kids. We took our daughter camping for her first trip at about 8 weeks. Our boy was about 4 months. We just got back from Gettysburg, they loved playing in the creek behind our site, going for walks with the dogs and playing at the playground.

Generally speaking, we bring a water table and toys for the kiddos to play. They like playing in the water (pool, lake, stream, etc), they like playgrounds, they like bike rides. From private to public campgrounds, we always find something. I like camping because it makes the kids find something to do.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 06:12 PM   #12

Quote:

Nor was mine meant as a lecture. Yes, they are still young. But it goes very quickly. And he was clearly asking for advice. So, he got it.

Our two sons are 33 and 32 years of age, and they turned out really great. One reason is that we taught them to create their own fun sometimes, instead of sitting around bored playing video games all day. That's the easy way out for parents who don't want to work at keeping the kids busy. Just handing them a game controller keeps them out of their parents' hair for now, but I am a firm believer it harms them in the long run.

Bono clearly wants advice and ideas on keeping the kids busy, so that's exactly what was provided. No harm intended.
Old 09-18-2016, 07:00 PM   #13

Quote:
You might also want to look at some outdoor games like Bean bag toss, etc. It will get easier as they get just a little bit older and independent.

I bought this off Amazon for $40 which is a great deal for a 3 in 1 game set for outdoors. Good for kids and adults. They had this at some sports stores for $80-90 but Amazon was cheap. I will testify it to be great quality and super lightweight, it just takes up space like a folding gravity chair. The wait to ship time was like a month but who cares it was worth it!

FYI - ring toss is harder than it looks

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Dropnaduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 08:32 AM   #14

THANK YOU guys!!! This is beyond my expectations. Some excellent ideas suggested here. I will need to make a list!

My son is very social, so I think that lack of other kids in his age was the most shocking for him. There is no easy fix for this. We will try to engage him more in the activities you suggested.

I would like to avoid KOA, etc. as at least from the photos, those campground look more like parking lots for me. Probably we will try one or two of KOAs, just to have an idea anyway.

Thank you again. This is a great forum!
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 08:48 AM   #15

We started camping in a tent when our daughter was about 1 yo. We didn't have a lot of money, so camped in state parks. We couldn't afford the "resort parks" with all the activities. So we made our own activities. Hiking, playing catch, Frisbee, we brought outdoor toys, we searched out free and low cost activities in and out of the park. Look for ranger programs, most are geared toward kids and families. We'd help her hold a stick with a marshmallow on the end to roast it over the fire. She loved every minute it.

As she got older and we had more money we still stayed away from KOAs and the like. Parking lots are just not our "thing".

She's now married and in her early 30s. Still camps in tents, still goes with us when they can (they live in a different state).
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:38 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
THANK YOU guys!!! This is beyond my expectations. Some excellent ideas suggested here. I will need to make a list!

My son is very social, so I think that lack of other kids in his age was the most shocking for him. There is no easy fix for this. We will try to engage him more in the activities you suggested.

I would like to avoid KOA, etc. as at least from the photos, those campground look more like parking lots for me. Probably we will try one or two of KOAs, just to have an idea anyway.

Thank you again. This is a great forum!
Invite one of your son's friends along on a trip as he gets a bit older, and you'll be amazed how they will find mischief together.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:56 AM   #17

I'm going to be following this thread! LOTS of great ideas!!

My son is almost 2, so he's pretty easy for now, but it's already getting harder. He's been going with us since he was about 6 weeks old, so he's used to it and has a good time. It's hard to tell him "not yet" when he sees the trailer in the driveway; all he wants to do is go hop in the truck!

For now, we can keep him entertained with a few outside toys and helping him to explore whatever is in our site. He likes to use his dump truck to collect rocks (we put them back later if it gets out of hand) and other little things. It's harder to keep him entertained inside, he constantly wants to go outside and play (a good problem to have IMO). He's not really into coloring yet (but he's getting there) and it's hard to get him to concentrate on anything for more than a minute or two. I've discovered that if we constantly give him "tasks", he stays on target longer and keeps himself occupied.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:52 AM   #18

Take them out to "spy" on the local wildlife. They'll eventually learn to "spy" on your campsite, LOL! Before you head out, think of some "tasks" they can do to help set up the site upon arrival. A bit advanced for a 2 or 3 year old, but a 5 year old can retrieve the water hose, push the button for the awning, hold the end of the water hose out of the dirt, pull the handle on the black or grey tank valve (maybe you don't want to teach them this one in case they pull it at the wrong time, LOL). Sweeping dirt from the doorstep, holding your tire gauge while you check tire pressures, making the beds. Little kids are often willing to help if they have a job to do. Sure, it will take longer, but it's worth the effort and time.
Old 09-19-2016, 11:33 AM   #19

Our daughter has been camping since she was born. We do everything from state parks to RV resorts. We also live in WA and get a lot of rain so when she was younger sometimes we were inside staying warm rather than outside. She enjoys art, nature, biking, hiking, sports, fishing, crafts, video games, movies, reading, coloring, painting... essentially everything.

The best thing we did was dedicate space for having all of these things that just stayed in the RV so that we never really had to think about it and it was just like at home. She is a little older now and as such we allow her more freedom to do things on her own but it seems like anywhere we go she will meet a few other kids who are camping as well and pretty soon there is a basketball, Soccer, or baseball game going on, or a hike or bike ride exploring and meeting some new friends.

I guess I'd say don't overthink it. You would have the same issue entertaining the kids when they are young wheter your in a campground or at home.

I also totally agree with give the kids some jobs during setup or takedown. Our's loved to play with the levelling blocks and that was always her job to throw a few under each jack pad. Still does that do this day. It's amazing what kids will pick up. She can help someone hitch up, and participates in the safety check before we leave. I test her occasionally and she has not failed me yet. Weve moved to a fifth wheel this year and so it's a new drill.
Old 09-19-2016, 11:46 AM   #20

We've been camping with our daughter since she was a newborn... off grid, no amenities, tent style, poop in the woods kind of camping. When she was really young, we entertained her same as we would at home... no change. We'd read her stories, play games, live life normally. Being bored is a luxury. Now at 13, there is zero difference in how she deals with camping, vs being here at the house. Now that she's old enough to have her own tablet, phone, etc and we bring a house on wheels with us, my biggest issues are in getting her to enjoy camping like she did when she was a kid, and to unplug a bit more. My dad taught me at a young age to never tell him if I was bored. He always had a laundry list of chores to hand off to me. Different approach needed at different ages, but at such a young age it should be pretty easy to get them involved in something fun? Last weekend my daughter made her own knife out of some shale she found on a hike, I taught her how to make a basic fire we then cooked our hamburgers on. The 'prepping' gene runs strong in our family and there's always something to do... if you want. Boredom is a sign of a restless mind, feed it with something.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote