Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-28-2016, 08:33 AM   #21

Here in Indiana if you can camp Sun-Thurs [which we are able to do], you generally have no problem with getting a reservation. It's also fairly easy to book longer stays [7 to 10 days] if you can do it in April/May or after the 1st part of Aug because the kids are still in/going back to school. The Holidays, Mem. Day, 4th of July and Labor Day are booked solid within 2 days of the opening reservation window. June/July everything's mostly packed here.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 08:39 AM   #22

I put out a very similar thread just few weeks ago, finding no available sites in state parks (even a year in advance reservation ability). Also of interest is that many private campgrounds are going seasonal, this reduces number of available sites as noted interest is increasing...

Larry J
2015 SLX 264BHW
2007 Ram 1500
LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 12:41 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country_Mouse View Post
Clubhouse, I am learning this sport you speak of here in CA. This is our first year with our tt. So far I'm pretty proud of my accomplishments of having a trip booked each month through July at this point. Planning on being on the computer bright and early March 1st to get that Labor Day reservation! When my husband retires in a few years we'll be able to do more reservations during the week. Will just have to figure out the best ways to get Internet so kids can still attend classes since we homeschool.
Well, 8AM sharp I was on Reserve America to try to get a beach camping spot for Labor Day weekend. Last night I scoped out the spots that were available still. Unfortunately there were only a handful since most of them were booked last month for August with their reservation extending through Labor Day. Guess I'll have to use that tactic next year. [emoji6] Anyways, I was unsuccessful. You literally have to push "book these dates" 10 seconds before the clock strikes 8 because by the time it went through they were all gone!

Good news is I was able to get our prime back up spots at a different non- beach campground.

Previous TV: 2004 Ford Exedition w/ heavy duty tow package[/COLOR]
Country_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 01:34 PM   #24

Quote:
Well, 8AM sharp I was on Reserve America to try to get a beach camping spot for Labor Day weekend. Last night I scoped out the spots that were available still. Unfortunately there were only a handful since most of them were booked last month for August with their reservation extending through Labor Day. Guess I'll have to use that tactic next year. [emoji6] Anyways, I was unsuccessful. You literally have to push "book these dates" 10 seconds before the clock strikes 8 because by the time it went through they were all gone!

Good news is I was able to get our prime back up spots at a different non- beach campground.
You realize this "tactic" only makes it worse for everyone involved right? You are now taking up a spot that you have no intention of occupying.

We have people around Calgary, AB that will drive 1-2 hours out of town on Wednesday or Thursday to put up their tent on a non-reservable site and pay for it so that it is available to them for the weekend.
It is very frustrating driving through a campsite with your trailer and all you see are tents with no people and no vehicles around.

You are booking one day ahead now. The next guy will book two, then three, then no-one can get a site they want even if they only need one night! Shameful!

Cheers
Old 03-01-2016, 01:49 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru297 View Post
You realize this "tactic" only makes it worse for everyone involved right? You are now taking up a spot that you have no intention of occupying.

We have people around Calgary, AB that will drive 1-2 hours out of town on Wednesday or Thursday to put up their tent on a non-reservable site and pay for it so that it is available to them for the weekend.
It is very frustrating driving through a campsite with your trailer and all you see are tents with no people and no vehicles around.

You are booking one day ahead now. The next guy will book two, then three, then no-one can get a site they want even if they only need one night! Shameful!

Cheers
Who said I had no intention of occupying it?? If you don't show up within 24 hours of reservation they release it anyways. Relax please. It's either go a day earlier than I really wanted or don't go at all because nothing is available. Those are the choices I have. I think they shouldn't even allow extended booking into a new month like that in the first place.

Old 03-01-2016, 02:11 PM   #26
Site Team

Many public and private parks we frequent have policies in place to prevent people leaving tents on spots to hold them. It is just the nature of people these days to try and beat the system.
Many SP's as already mentioned have some sites available for walk ups.

Personally, we stay home on the big holidays, so I guess we are doing our part to let the working man get a reservation!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 02:25 PM   #27

Quote:
Who said I had no intention of occupying it?? If you don't show up within 24 hours of reservation they release it anyways. Relax please. It's either go a day earlier than I really wanted or don't go at all because nothing is available. Those are the choices I have. I think they shouldn't even allow extended booking into a new month like that in the first place.
Sorry I misunderstood your post. I was also referring to an earlier post that stated...

Even if I pay for Wed and Thursday but not show up till Friday it's worth it to me to have the spot I want at the park I want.

We usually try to go out on a Thursday or Friday morning to beat the rush as well. That is when we run into the "tent reservations". And yes I think they are starting to crack down on that here as well.

Cheers
Old 03-01-2016, 02:45 PM   #28

@ Subaru297 -- I fully understand I am part of the problem, example I booked from 8/31 through Labor Day even though I really just want Friday-Sunday. What do suggest you I do; not take my family camping during the times that school and work schedules allow? I didn't create the game, I just leaned how to play it.

Maybe places like California, Florida, Michigan, etc should allow thier tax paying citizens the ability to reserve before out of state visitors, would that be more fair?

Ideally they would build more CG, but the environmental community here in California at least fights that with fury. For example a new state park is proposed in the Monterey area, but it has become very contentious and I doubt seriously it will ever be built. Or secondarily maybe the state should stop closing parks due to budget cuts, the same budget my taxes support.

I don't know the answer, but until there is one I will play by the rules they have established in order to take my family camping.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 02:59 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Personally, we stay home on the big holidays, so I guess we are doing our part to let the working man get a reservation!
Just exactly what we do. Who wants to be out there on a Holiday with all those people all over the place???

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 03:07 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc65 View Post
Just exactly what we do. Who wants to be out there on a Holiday with all those people all over the place???
I prefer not to but until my husband is retired we get an extra night without him taking a day off of work. Rather enjoy that time camping than putzing around the house.

Old 03-01-2016, 03:50 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc65 View Post
X3!
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 03:53 PM   #32

I don't know the answer either but I think it probably needs to be managed on each individual campground basis as they all have different rules.

Country Mouse mentioned that reservations are forfeit within 24 hours if you don't show up. So that certainly helps. Maybe this could be reduced a bit. 12 hours maybe?

And they are cracking down on it here as well at the public non-reservable sites but there are lots of campgrounds and only so many staff to patrol them.

I feel your pain though. Luckily for us it is not that bad up here and if a campsite is full there is another nearby to go to.

Cheers
Old 03-01-2016, 04:03 PM   #33
Site Team

Try getting reservations to Assateague SP near Ocean City Md. in the only electric loop. Booking starts one year in advance at 8 AM. I have only been successful once booking a site there, and that was due to a cancellation I stumbled on by accident. As mentioned some will book for several days they will not use just to get what they want. One reason is price, the SP is around 40 bucks a night and other private CG`s nearby where you can find sites may be 100.00 a night or more. And of course hotel prices in season are $$$.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 02:06 PM   #34

I was online at 8am this morning and got the last site available at a state park in CO for Labor Day. I have reminders set up in my calendar for 6 months out so I can get the parks we want to visit. This is our first trailer and I had no idea it would be this crazy to get a reservation.
My family is planning a reunion in Carlsbad next summer and I wanted to stay at the state park near the beach but I'm thinking it is going to be impossible to get a site there in July
Old 03-02-2016, 02:31 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnPlayVA View Post
I was online at 8am this morning and got the last site available at a state park in CO for Labor Day. I have reminders set up in my calendar for 6 months out so I can get the parks we want to visit. This is our first trailer and I had no idea it would be this crazy to get a reservation.
My family is planning a reunion in Carlsbad next summer and I wanted to stay at the state park near the beach but I'm thinking it is going to be impossible to get a site there in July
South Carlsbad SB is actually the one I tried to get. Might be a easier though not during a holiday weekend. FYI June 30th is a Friday so book when June becomes open for reservations if you want to go first weekend of July! I also set up reminders 6 months out on my calendar.

Old 03-04-2016, 11:45 AM   #36

Interesting thread! I really enjoy camping at MI state parks. In fact, there are very few private parks in the state I will consider.
Michigan state parks allow reservations 6 months prior to arrival. The reservations system I think is very good (www.midnrreservations.com). You have to be on your game though if you want a certain site at a certain park. For instance, if you want a site at any popular state park on a holiday, you better plan on arriving a few days in advance of the holiday itself, maybe even a week, or likely you wont get a site. Some parks are very popular (grand haven, Holland, Ludington to name a few) and can be very hard to get in to. I guess I would say, plan ahead, have a back up place picked out just in case. I haven't found a "bad" modern state park in Michigan yet, and ive been to many. Some are even starting to put in FHU sites, most recently wilderness state park near the bridge.

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 11:26 AM   #37

Interesting read. Here I thought this problem was much worse for those that live on an island (Long Island, NY). Not too many campgrounds here and they book fast! Probably because of the nightmare to actually get off the island with all the traffic and horrible road conditions and bridges...
But now I see this is much more widespread than I thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
StarGazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 12:59 PM   #38

Quote:
South Carlsbad SB is actually the one I tried to get. Might be a easier though not during a holiday weekend. FYI June 30th is a Friday so book when June becomes open for reservations if you want to go first weekend of July! I also set up reminders 6 months out on my calendar.
Good luck!
Beach reservations in CA are near impossible. The best bet you have is a close campground plan B, then physically show up the day before and enter the lottery for the weekend.

FYI....
If you login to Reserve American 6 months to the day at 8am and wonder why ALL the spots are already taken??? It's because theres a loophole some are finding now... and no I'm not telling[emoji2]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnPlayVA View Post

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Wildhorses24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 01:05 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildhorses24 View Post
Good luck!
Beach reservations in CA are near impossible. The best bet you have is a close campground plan B, then physically show up the day before and enter the lottery for the weekend.

FYI....
If you login to Reserve American 6 months to the day at 8am and wonder why ALL the spots are already taken??? It's because theres a loophole some are finding now... and no I'm not telling[emoji2]

I guess I don't need to know your secret loophole...or maybe I already do....[emoji6]

I tried again this month (8 AM 6 mos out) and got the PRIMO spot in the South Carlsbad State beach campground that I wanted for a 3 day Columbus day weekend!!

But nice try trying to scare us off from trying. Maybe that is your devious plan..

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Old 04-13-2016, 01:07 PM   #40

Quote:
I guess I don't need to know your secret loophole...or maybe I already do....[emoji6]

I tried again this month (8 AM 6 mos out) and got the PRIMO spot in the Sputh Carlsbad State beach campground that I wanted for a 3 day Columbus day weekend!!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Very nice. Enjoy. We typically get 10-13 spots in San Clemente for Memorial, 4th and Thanksgiving. That's a bit harder to pull off

Wildhorses24 is offline   Reply With Quote