Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-28-2016, 07:33 AM   #21

Here in Indiana if you can camp Sun-Thurs [which we are able to do], you generally have no problem with getting a reservation. It's also fairly easy to book longer stays [7 to 10 days] if you can do it in April/May or after the 1st part of Aug because the kids are still in/going back to school. The Holidays, Mem. Day, 4th of July and Labor Day are booked solid within 2 days of the opening reservation window. June/July everything's mostly packed here.

TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 07:39 AM   #22

I put out a very similar thread just few weeks ago, finding no available sites in state parks (even a year in advance reservation ability). Also of interest is that many private campgrounds are going seasonal, this reduces number of available sites as noted interest is increasing...

Larry J
2015 SLX 264BHW
2007 Ram 1500

LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 11:41 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country_Mouse View Post
Clubhouse, I am learning this sport you speak of here in CA. This is our first year with our tt. So far I'm pretty proud of my accomplishments of having a trip booked each month through July at this point. Planning on being on the computer bright and early March 1st to get that Labor Day reservation! When my husband retires in a few years we'll be able to do more reservations during the week. Will just have to figure out the best ways to get Internet so kids can still attend classes since we homeschool.
Well, 8AM sharp I was on Reserve America to try to get a beach camping spot for Labor Day weekend. Last night I scoped out the spots that were available still. Unfortunately there were only a handful since most of them were booked last month for August with their reservation extending through Labor Day. Guess I'll have to use that tactic next year. Anyways, I was unsuccessful. You literally have to push "book these dates" 10 seconds before the clock strikes 8 because by the time it went through they were all gone!

Good news is I was able to get our prime back up spots at a different non- beach campground.

Previous TV: 2004 Ford Exedition w/ heavy duty tow package[/COLOR]
Country_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 12:34 PM   #24

Quote:
Well, 8AM sharp I was on Reserve America to try to get a beach camping spot for Labor Day weekend. Last night I scoped out the spots that were available still. Unfortunately there were only a handful since most of them were booked last month for August with their reservation extending through Labor Day. Guess I'll have to use that tactic next year. Anyways, I was unsuccessful. You literally have to push "book these dates" 10 seconds before the clock strikes 8 because by the time it went through they were all gone!

Good news is I was able to get our prime back up spots at a different non- beach campground.
You realize this "tactic" only makes it worse for everyone involved right? You are now taking up a spot that you have no intention of occupying.

We have people around Calgary, AB that will drive 1-2 hours out of town on Wednesday or Thursday to put up their tent on a non-reservable site and pay for it so that it is available to them for the weekend.
It is very frustrating driving through a campsite with your trailer and all you see are tents with no people and no vehicles around.

You are booking one day ahead now. The next guy will book two, then three, then no-one can get a site they want even if they only need one night! Shameful!

Cheers
Old 03-01-2016, 12:49 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru297 View Post
You realize this "tactic" only makes it worse for everyone involved right? You are now taking up a spot that you have no intention of occupying.

We have people around Calgary, AB that will drive 1-2 hours out of town on Wednesday or Thursday to put up their tent on a non-reservable site and pay for it so that it is available to them for the weekend.
It is very frustrating driving through a campsite with your trailer and all you see are tents with no people and no vehicles around.

You are booking one day ahead now. The next guy will book two, then three, then no-one can get a site they want even if they only need one night! Shameful!

Cheers
Who said I had no intention of occupying it?? If you don't show up within 24 hours of reservation they release it anyways. Relax please. It's either go a day earlier than I really wanted or don't go at all because nothing is available. Those are the choices I have. I think they shouldn't even allow extended booking into a new month like that in the first place.

Old 03-01-2016, 01:11 PM   #26
Site Team

Many public and private parks we frequent have policies in place to prevent people leaving tents on spots to hold them. It is just the nature of people these days to try and beat the system.
Many SP's as already mentioned have some sites available for walk ups.

Personally, we stay home on the big holidays, so I guess we are doing our part to let the working man get a reservation!

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 01:25 PM   #27

Quote:
Who said I had no intention of occupying it?? If you don't show up within 24 hours of reservation they release it anyways. Relax please. It's either go a day earlier than I really wanted or don't go at all because nothing is available. Those are the choices I have. I think they shouldn't even allow extended booking into a new month like that in the first place.
Sorry I misunderstood your post. I was also referring to an earlier post that stated...

Even if I pay for Wed and Thursday but not show up till Friday it's worth it to me to have the spot I want at the park I want.

We usually try to go out on a Thursday or Friday morning to beat the rush as well. That is when we run into the "tent reservations". And yes I think they are starting to crack down on that here as well.

Cheers
Old 03-01-2016, 01:45 PM   #28

@ Subaru297 -- I fully understand I am part of the problem, example I booked from 8/31 through Labor Day even though I really just want Friday-Sunday. What do suggest you I do; not take my family camping during the times that school and work schedules allow? I didn't create the game, I just leaned how to play it.

Maybe places like California, Florida, Michigan, etc should allow thier tax paying citizens the ability to reserve before out of state visitors, would that be more fair?

Ideally they would build more CG, but the environmental community here in California at least fights that with fury. For example a new state park is proposed in the Monterey area, but it has become very contentious and I doubt seriously it will ever be built. Or secondarily maybe the state should stop closing parks due to budget cuts, the same budget my taxes support.

I don't know the answer, but until there is one I will play by the rules they have established in order to take my family camping.
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 01:59 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Personally, we stay home on the big holidays, so I guess we are doing our part to let the working man get a reservation!
Just exactly what we do. Who wants to be out there on a Holiday with all those people all over the place???

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 02:07 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc65 View Post
Just exactly what we do. Who wants to be out there on a Holiday with all those people all over the place???
I prefer not to but until my husband is retired we get an extra night without him taking a day off of work. Rather enjoy that time camping than putzing around the house.