Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-01-2016, 02:50 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc65 View Post
Just exactly what we do. Who wants to be out there on a Holiday with all those people all over the place???
X3!

TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 02:53 PM   #32

I don't know the answer either but I think it probably needs to be managed on each individual campground basis as they all have different rules.

Country Mouse mentioned that reservations are forfeit within 24 hours if you don't show up. So that certainly helps. Maybe this could be reduced a bit. 12 hours maybe?

And they are cracking down on it here as well at the public non-reservable sites but there are lots of campgrounds and only so many staff to patrol them.

I feel your pain though. Luckily for us it is not that bad up here and if a campsite is full there is another nearby to go to.

Cheers

Old 03-01-2016, 03:03 PM   #33
Site Team

Try getting reservations to Assateague SP near Ocean City Md. in the only electric loop. Booking starts one year in advance at 8 AM. I have only been successful once booking a site there, and that was due to a cancellation I stumbled on by accident. As mentioned some will book for several days they will not use just to get what they want. One reason is price, the SP is around 40 bucks a night and other private CG`s nearby where you can find sites may be 100.00 a night or more. And of course hotel prices in season are $$$.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 01:06 PM   #34

I was online at 8am this morning and got the last site available at a state park in CO for Labor Day. I have reminders set up in my calendar for 6 months out so I can get the parks we want to visit. This is our first trailer and I had no idea it would be this crazy to get a reservation.
My family is planning a reunion in Carlsbad next summer and I wanted to stay at the state park near the beach but I'm thinking it is going to be impossible to get a site there in July
Old 03-02-2016, 01:31 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnPlayVA View Post
I was online at 8am this morning and got the last site available at a state park in CO for Labor Day. I have reminders set up in my calendar for 6 months out so I can get the parks we want to visit. This is our first trailer and I had no idea it would be this crazy to get a reservation.
My family is planning a reunion in Carlsbad next summer and I wanted to stay at the state park near the beach but I'm thinking it is going to be impossible to get a site there in July
South Carlsbad SB is actually the one I tried to get. Might be a easier though not during a holiday weekend. FYI June 30th is a Friday so book when June becomes open for reservations if you want to go first weekend of July! I also set up reminders 6 months out on my calendar.

Previous TV: 2004 Ford Exedition w/ heavy duty tow package[/COLOR]
Country_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:45 AM   #36

Interesting thread! I really enjoy camping at MI state parks. In fact, there are very few private parks in the state I will consider.
Michigan state parks allow reservations 6 months prior to arrival. The reservations system I think is very good (www.midnrreservations.com). You have to be on your game though if you want a certain site at a certain park. For instance, if you want a site at any popular state park on a holiday, you better plan on arriving a few days in advance of the holiday itself, maybe even a week, or likely you wont get a site. Some parks are very popular (grand haven, Holland, Ludington to name a few) and can be very hard to get in to. I guess I would say, plan ahead, have a back up place picked out just in case. I haven't found a "bad" modern state park in Michigan yet, and ive been to many. Some are even starting to put in FHU sites, most recently wilderness state park near the bridge.

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 11:26 AM   #37

Interesting read. Here I thought this problem was much worse for those that live on an island (Long Island, NY). Not too many campgrounds here and they book fast! Probably because of the nightmare to actually get off the island with all the traffic and horrible road conditions and bridges...
But now I see this is much more widespread than I thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
StarGazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 12:59 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country_Mouse View Post
South Carlsbad SB is actually the one I tried to get. Might be a easier though not during a holiday weekend. FYI June 30th is a Friday so book when June becomes open for reservations if you want to go first weekend of July! I also set up reminders 6 months out on my calendar.
Good luck!
Beach reservations in CA are near impossible. The best bet you have is a close campground plan B, then physically show up the day before and enter the lottery for the weekend.

FYI....
If you login to Reserve American 6 months to the day at 8am and wonder why ALL the spots are already taken??? It's because theres a loophole some are finding now... and no I'm not telling
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnPlayVA View Post

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Wildhorses24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 01:05 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildhorses24 View Post
Good luck!
Beach reservations in CA are near impossible. The best bet you have is a close campground plan B, then physically show up the day before and enter the lottery for the weekend.

FYI....
If you login to Reserve American 6 months to the day at 8am and wonder why ALL the spots are already taken??? It's because theres a loophole some are finding now... and no I'm not telling

I guess I don't need to know your secret loophole...or maybe I already do....

I tried again this month (8 AM 6 mos out) and got the PRIMO spot in the South Carlsbad State beach campground that I wanted for a 3 day Columbus day weekend!!

But nice try trying to scare us off from trying. Maybe that is your devious plan..

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Previous TV: 2004 Ford Exedition w/ heavy duty tow package[/COLOR]
Country_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 01:07 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country_Mouse View Post
I guess I don't need to know your secret loophole...or maybe I already do....

I tried again this month (8 AM 6 mos out) and got the PRIMO spot in the Sputh Carlsbad State beach campground that I wanted for a 3 day Columbus day weekend!!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Very nice. Enjoy. We typically get 10-13 spots in San Clemente for Memorial, 4th and Thanksgiving. That's a bit harder to pull off

Wildhorses24 is offline   Reply With Quote