Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom
Anyone notice how hard it is to get a reservation these days? We usually camp at state parks. In the past, we could book a trip with a couple weeks to a months notice. Now it's like a couple of months or more.
We tried to get a site at one of our favorite CGs (which happens to be one of a very few that you can site reserve) for the summer. Nothing. Kept trying further and further out. Nothing. Booked until January of next year. Crazy! We could get a "non reservable" site in two months but they aren't as big, or as nice. Guess we are going to start camping more in the federal parks. Maybe it's because we have a big trailer but sheez! Sometimes we would go on a whim and could usually find something. Those days are over. Bummed.
It is very hard game to play to get the site you want or any site for that matter at a state park. I have done a lot of reasearch this year and this is what I had to do please don't be a hater of my method.
1. You check the site calendar on each site number you want at the park you like.
2. Write down the day it becomes available to reserve such as for today I can reserve out on August 3rd plus 10 days out right now. Trick some people don't know if it greyed out you can still reserve the days just as long it's within 10 days of the available date 9 months from today.
3. The night before you can see what will come available the next day.
4. BE READY with the site open on what you want to reserve ready to hit the reserve button right at 6:59am. It opens for reservations at 7am. I start clicking a few seconds early then hit the back button and hit the reserve buttton until I get it. Sucks but that is how it's done. There were 6 sites this morning and all were gone the first minute.
5. This is cheating but I want a specific site on a certain date a week out longer than I can get it but I don't want someone to reserve it by overlapping on the days I need for my vacation. So this is what I do and don't hate me for it. I have my buddy sign up for camping and reserve out to the date I want basically 10 days before I can get it and then when time comes for me to reserve I cancel his reservation which costs $20 I then reserve mine right after the cancelation. Then all his days open back up for everyone and I get the site and days I want costing me an extra $20 buck to do it. I only do this for my week vacation but other times I'm just on right at 6:59am hitting the reserve button hoping I win the lottery. It's not any better than trying to get tickets to a hot concert.
The rest is luck and being super fast. Otherwise they are gone and you get sites with no power or sewer. Which we have done in the past.