Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-17-2016, 08:08 PM   #1

CG reservations getting impossible to get

Anyone notice how hard it is to get a reservation these days? We usually camp at state parks. In the past, we could book a trip with a couple weeks to a months notice. Now it's like a couple of months or more.

We tried to get a site at one of our favorite CGs (which happens to be one of a very few that you can site reserve) for the summer. Nothing. Kept trying further and further out. Nothing. Booked until January of next year. Crazy! We could get a "non reservable" site in two months but they aren't as big, or as nice. Guess we are going to start camping more in the federal parks. Maybe it's because we have a big trailer but sheez! Sometimes we would go on a whim and could usually find something. Those days are over. Bummed.

Old 02-17-2016, 08:12 PM   #2

Yes...we booked our favorite SP in FL for this summer, last year! But I have found that I will check on certain places daily (sometime twice) for cancelations...knock on wood...I've always been able to get in, but that was also with the smaller 28BHBE. The new trailer may be more of a problem??

'16 North Point 377BHRL (current and hopefully last)
Bookemdanno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 08:14 PM   #3
Site Team

Cheap gas, improving economy, RVs selling like hotcakes all contributing factors
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 08:14 PM   #4

Not sure, but I believe that there were 250000 new RV's built last year, and the number has been climbing over the years. Pretty soon it will only be dry-camping where ever you can find a spot. Probably have to make reservations at Walmart in the future for that overnight stay.

Try getting a spot in the Keys state parks between December and March, they are booked a full 11 months in advance. The only way you can get a spot is if someone cancels.. we have been lucky 2x, but had to check each day at 8AM.

Don
2 - AirSight Wireless IP Cameras (used as rear view cameras)
EnGenius WI-FI extender, D-Link wireless (n) modem
MagicJack Internet Phone
2012 Ford F150XLT, EcoBoost w/3.73
157" Wheel base, HD Towing Package

Our Solar Album http://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?albumid=329
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 08:19 PM   #5

I'll buy the cheap gas and higher sales volume. Improving economy? Not so much. I think in a good economy people would be going on vacation not doing budget friendly camp outs.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:30 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
I'll buy the cheap gas and higher sales volume. Improving economy? Not so much. I think in a good economy people would be going on vacation not doing budget friendly camp outs.
Well at least it's improved from the
08-09 financial crisis which were 2of the worse RV sales years ever. Now these big ticket items are selling briskly which should
suggest we are in better times.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 08:51 PM   #7

I think the tens of thousands of boomers retiring also plays into the mix. Also, for those working at the top 20% or so, the incomes have grown much larger. Its why you also see the big class A's all over. Part of the problem with campgrounds is, they were built for the most part in a different era...smaller rvs, more tenting etc. Parks were designed in the 60's , 70's and 80's are no longer equipped to handle the larger rigs. . Out west many of the state and federal campgrounds can only handle 30' or smaller. For private campgrounds it's difficult to change sites to fit todays needs. It's part of the reason I wanted to stay below 30'.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
Anyone notice how hard it is to get a reservation these days? We usually camp at state parks. In the past, we could book a trip with a couple weeks to a months notice. Now it's like a couple of months or more.

We tried to get a site at one of our favorite CGs (which happens to be one of a very few that you can site reserve) for the summer. Nothing. Kept trying further and further out. Nothing. Booked until January of next year. Crazy! We could get a "non reservable" site in two months but they aren't as big, or as nice. Guess we are going to start camping more in the federal parks. Maybe it's because we have a big trailer but sheez! Sometimes we would go on a whim and could usually find something. Those days are over. Bummed.
Exactly why we do most of our camping in the National Forest. Never need a reservation and can camp anywhere we like. I understand that is not for everyone though.
Old 02-27-2016, 07:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
Not sure, but I believe that there were 250000 new RV's built last year, and the number has been climbing over the years. Pretty soon it will only be dry-camping where ever you can find a spot. Probably have to make reservations at Walmart in the future for that overnight stay.

Try getting a spot in the Keys state parks between December and March, they are booked a full 11 months in advance. The only way you can get a spot is if someone cancels.. we have been lucky 2x, but had to check each day at 8AM.

Don
From the RVIA: “Powered by gains in five of the seven major vehicle categories, January (2016) wholesale shipment totals represented a seasonally adjusted annualized rate of more than 435,000 units, the highest such monthly reading since September of 1999"
SMI Duo "Stay in Play" Braking
Barley, our Golden Retriever, on board and Buster in spirit!

McGarrett50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 08:13 AM   #10

Sitting in Reg office at INks Lake SP in Texas waiting for a cancellation for Sat nite. Been in Tex for almost 4 weeks now and finding out TX Sp's are routinely full on weekends year around. Been in this park since Mon but nothing open for Sat nite. Told we should get in with a cancellation.

Love this park

Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote