Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-24-2015, 08:19 AM   #1

Chesapeake Bay Areas

Hey Gang,

I'm assuming this is a layup for Crabman, but I'm debating a beachy type vacation for next year. I was going to do OBX or Myrtle Beach, but the drive is right on the cusp of needing a waypoint in the middle for me, and I have other trips to do (and days are limited).

So I'm down to Tall Pines Harbor and Cherrystone in VA.

As I understand it from the Six Flags area of NJ, I'm looking at around 6 hours of driving without traffic. I don't have to deal w/ DC or I95 a whole lot. It looks like I won't have bridge or tunnel issues to deal with. So as I get my feet underneath me as far as getting the RV further and further south of where I live, this might be a good exercise. I'm not against leaving around 12 or 1 in the AM in order to have a smooth ride down if that is advised; I'd have to work out early check-in ahead of time.

I've also read that both of these campsites are ~40 mins to VA Beach? Looks like there is a Enterprise right on Route 13, in the middle of both campsites (I don't tow a toad).

I'm looking for full hookups, somewhat private sites, and not a lot of chaos on the campground; normal activities and sanity preferred. Somewhere DW would arrive at, park a chair, and feel like she's vacationing as well as camping.

Am I in the right ballpark?
Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 10:15 AM   #2
Site Team

I have camped at both of those locations. Cherrystone can be very busy during event weekends and many of the sites are cramped. Large pools and water view camping. Activities available for kids. About 40 miles from Va. Beach.

Tall Pines is a smaller CG also with themed weekends but not as busy as Cherrystone. Water front sites are available but more expensive. Its also about 40 miles North of Cherrystone, so farther to Va Beach. Tall Pines is however closer to Assateague beaches (Va. side) and Chincoteague, about 20 miles or so.

Another alternative is Kiptopeke State Park. Full hookups available which is a rarity in SP`s around here and considerably less cost then the other two. Quieter since it is a SP with no golf carts and it has constant ranger patrols. Even closer to Va Beach as it is several miles south of Cherrystone. Has a large bayside beach and fishing pier to enjoy along with numerous trails.

As far as site quality,
as with most CG`s these choices have some very nice sites and some not so great. With the SP you get to choose your site upon arrival, and I`ve always found one I`m satisfied with..

I could name others nearby we enjoy but they do not have full hookups.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 02:03 PM   #3
Site Team

An old thread I posted about Tall Pines waterfront site

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f2...back-4053.html
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 12:35 AM   #4

Cherystone is a great campground lots to do. Plus you wont need a car once you get their they have a general store, cafe, and bait shop. I perfer the the pull thru sites. Draw back is less shade and they cost a bit more. Only down side to cherrystone is when it rains the campsites flood. I dont know how the other places are. The state park is nice if you have a boat and want some great fishing. The sunken ships are a stones throw from the boat ramp their. But not many other activities to do.
Greyhawk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 05:16 AM   #5

Flooding doesn't sound like a good thing !

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 07:51 PM   #6

Why not First Landing State Park? Fairly private sites, electric and water hook ups. Right on the beach. 10 mins to VA beach.