Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-16-2016, 02:42 PM   #1

Colorado Venues

Just returned from about a week in Colorado. Toured Durango, Silverton, and Ouray. Rode the steam train, and stayed in a few nice campgrounds. The two we reserved were Alpen Rose in Durango and the Ouray RV Park and Cabins in Ouray. Both were excellent places to camp, especially for Jeep enthusiasts like us. I would recommend them to anyone here. A few pictures of the adventure:

Old 08-16-2016, 02:48 PM   #2

I really like the picture with the Seneca in it--from one owner to another. ha ha!
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 02:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by abarkl View Post
I really like the picture with the Seneca in it--from one owner to another. ha ha!
I hear ya. Taken by some friends from their rig right behind us on the way to Ouray. Wish it was in hi-res.
Old 08-16-2016, 03:16 PM   #4

Love that part of the country! Thanks for sharing.
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 09:18 PM   #5

You are brave to drive on the Million Dollar highway! We were in Silverton this summer - it's beautiful but I wouldn't do that drive to Ouray pulling the trailer!
Old 08-17-2016, 08:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnPlayVA View Post
You are brave to drive on the Million Dollar highway! We were in Silverton this summer - it's beautiful but I wouldn't do that drive to Ouray pulling the trailer!
It actually was easier than we thought it would be. My buddy did it easily with his 40 foot Tuscan Class A and a toad. He was more nervous than I was. I just took it easy and thoroughly enjoyed the drive. A few tight turns as you approach Ouray. But if you keep it slow, it's not bad at all. A few semis on that road ahead and behind us, and one of them actually had tandem trailers.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:29 PM   #7

Your photos brought back many good memories of that area--my favorite part of Colorado. The CO State Park at Ridgeway, just north of there is also a great spot to camp.

Nomads at Heart!
MoBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 10:06 PM   #8

Thanks for the awesome pictures. I just added a few new camping spots to my wish list for spring.

Regards,
Mark
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBird View Post
The CO State Park at Ridgeway, just north of there is also a great spot to camp.
We have plans to head there next summer - thanks for the recommendation!
Old 08-29-2016, 10:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
Thanks for the awesome pictures. I just added a few new camping spots to my wish list for spring.

Regards,
Mark
If you do go, I would avoid attempting the Black Bear Pass trail with the F150, even with 4wd. It is likely still closed in spring, as are most of the high passes. But there are plenty of nice off-highway drives that don't go that high. but the pickup trucks have too long of a wheelbase for many of the high roads. Switchbacks are brutal, and a short wheelbase 4wd is necessary. You can rent a Jeep in town from several operators, many of which are "you drive it". Keep in mind some of them ban you from Black Bear and/or some of the Alpine Loop trails.

Most of the high passes are open by July 30 or so. I have heard that they may close them early this year. There was a significant snow up there last weekend. If it sticks, or if there is another storm close behind, they may just choose to close them down early.
Old 08-29-2016, 11:23 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustdevil View Post
If you do go, I would avoid attempting the Black Bear Pass trail with the F150, even with 4wd. It is likely still closed in spring, as are most of the high passes. But there are plenty of nice off-highway drives that don't go that high. but the pickup trucks have too long of a wheelbase for many of the high roads. Switchbacks are brutal, and a short wheelbase 4wd is necessary. You can rent a Jeep in town from several operators, many of which are "you drive it". Keep in mind some of them ban you from Black Bear and/or some of the Alpine Loop trails.

Most of the high passes are open by July 30 or so. I have heard that they may close them early this year. There was a significant snow up there last weekend. If it sticks, or if there is another storm close behind, they may just choose to close them down early.
Cool, thanks for the added detail. We still do a fair amount of tent camping for some reason, so that might make the most sense for us the first time out there. I've been in Colorado since the mid 80's and am almost embarrassed to admit I've never explored that area of our state. All of the mountains west of Denver have snow on them already. Full sun today for the first time since last week.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 11:47 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustdevil View Post

I watched a video this summer on Facebook shot on Black Bear. Not a chance that I'd take my F-150 on that road, even if it was a short bed and standard cab. I did a few wild rides in my 1980 Toyota 4x4 PU back in the 80's, and there were times I had to do a back and forth to get around a switchback (once had to back down a half mile to find a spot wide enough to turn around when I came to a switchback that was too steep and icy to climb in 4WD). Some of those on Black Bear are too tight for a jeep to make it in one pass without backing up. After watching that video, I don't think I'd even have the guts to do it in a good jeep.

2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 Super Crew 3.5L Ecoboost
2017 Jay Feather X213
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 09:55 PM   #13

I love me some Colorado. My DW and I go there yearly normally the week before Labor Day in Silverton. We stay at Silver Summit RV Park (Highly recommended by the way). Bring the Jeep a quad and have a great time doing all the trails in the area...including Black Bear. That is prob one of my favorite runs. Silverton up 550 to Black Bear pass to Telluride, then take Imogene over to Ouray. Spend the evening in Ouray and have a burger at Maggies and then a few hours in the hot springs and then drive 550 back home in the dark...that is the scary part. Do that with a light bar or something because the number of deer on 550 when it is dark is dangerous. We will prob be doing some smaller weekend trips there over the summer next year and then do our 10 day long trip again before Labor Day. Good Times.
Old 11-09-2016, 10:07 PM   #14

For anyone interested, search "Black Bear Road" on You Tube. There are several videos posted.

2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 Super Crew 3.5L Ecoboost
2017 Jay Feather X213
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 01:46 PM   #15

Nice area & great pictures. I was up in Durango, Delores, & Telluride this August. Beautiful part of the world for sure! Stayed in Delores River RV park & journey out from that base. I will be back.
robert9999 is offline   Reply With Quote