Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-24-2010, 07:03 PM   #1

Cross Country

Old house is sold, new home is purchased...we'll be travelling from Ottawa, Ontario to Victoria, British Columbia in about 4 weeks time. While I know that most folks on the forum are from 'down-south' I was curious if anyone had suggestions or experiences in any of the provinces from Ontario to the west. We've 10 days to get across but will need time to relax and enjoy the trip.

Any suggestions?

((sorry .... the border is such a pain to cross these days thanks to some over-zealous guards, we'll be staying north of the 49th...at least until we hit Vancouver Island!))

2010 JayFeather 23K
05 GMC Envoy XL
McMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:06 AM   #2

Congrats on the sale/purchase. I am watching this thread with interest as we hope to one day cross Canada. Although we have considered doing it via train, it would be nice to drive across also. We hear it is very pretty either way. Please post your experience when the time comes to hit the road!

Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:12 PM   #3

Ottawa to British Columbia; ten days and to relax and enjoy. I would atleast take three weeks which would be very relaxing and enjoyable.
Old 06-25-2010, 03:23 PM   #4

three weeks would be wonderful; regrettably, I've got a few more working-years left before I can take those kinds of holidays!

I'll post what I can about the trip - it should be fun! (the train, btw, is great but really expensive. Consider doing the Rocky Mountaineer out in BC for a real experience!)

2010 JayFeather 23K
05 GMC Envoy XL
Old 06-25-2010, 03:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMonk View Post
(the train, btw, is great but really expensive. Consider doing the Rocky Mountaineer out in BC for a real experience!)
Thanks.... Doing just one of the more scenic sections might be more in our price range! Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:11 PM   #6

OK... it's official! McMonk and family hit the road West to their new home in Victoria BC!!! WooHoo! and the best part is they are camping in their Jayco along the way! Don't forget to capture the trip with pics and of course, travel safe!
Old 08-22-2010, 09:27 AM   #7

*sigh*..... made it!

Trip was shortened to 8 days to accommodate the Lawyers desire for signatures! And what a trip!

Weather was mostly great along the way and we had no issues pulling the trailer. I thought going through the Prairies would have been the easiest, but we had a head or cross wind the whole way & hit a few really heavy white-knuckle storms. Actually found crossing the Rockies was more comfortable@!

We put in an average of 8 hours driving per day; shortest was 6 (first day) and the longest was 11 (somewhere in the middle). We stayed in Provincial, municipal and one private campground. The best was in a little place called Morse, Sask - the worst was in Vernon, BC.

My biggest regret is a lack of pictures along the way - I haven't had time to download anything from the camera yet (still unpacking!), but either way, we didn't take many pictures. There was very little touring-around on this trip; there just wasn't enough time. I'll tell you, though .... I have no interest in a road-trip at the moment and the kids don't seem overly keen on a camping trip this weekend!

Pulled & parked the trailer in the driveway ... we now live on top of a mountain. Access is via a 15% grade (NO KIDDING). Got the trailer up, but haven't tried getting it down! Just washed off about a bazillion baked-on bugs and the Jayco looks new again!

Will post more as time (and wife) permits....

2010 JayFeather 23K
05 GMC Envoy XL
Old 08-23-2010, 07:28 AM   #8

Thanks for letting us know how it went for you guys! 5 driving days is a long stint for 3 kids sharing a back seat! I bet they were grateful to get to their new home!

A 15% grade to your mountain top home! Sounds like an interesting drive on snowwy days. But I bet you have a good view, huh? Glad ya made the cross x-try trip safely, and enjoy your new abode!
Old 08-23-2010, 10:52 AM   #9

Glad you guys made it OK McMonk!

Home base... Hondo, Texas

2010 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH
2009 Ford FX4
4 Point Equil-i-zer hitch
https://www.armadillotimes.com
Hondopatrick is offline   Reply With Quote