Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-18-2017, 02:53 PM   #21

Thanks we are looking forward to this trip 1st time to the south east and the most we drove the motor home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-24-2017, 08:41 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark464 View Post
I live in omaha and we are thinking of visiting the fort with our Jayco. I was wondering how long it took you to get there and what's the longest distance you drove at one time? Thanks

We live outside of Milwaukee and spent three weeks at the Fort in January. We absolutely love it there and have two more trips this year booked. As for the drive, we did it straight through and hit Atlanta in the middle of the night. We stopped for two hours just passed Macon and took a cat nap in the truck while it poured outside. (Didn't get out of the truck for fear of waking our two year old). Anyhow, with food, fuel, and "child" stops it took 22 hours and we were there.

On the way home we left late in the afternoon and stopped in South Georgia, spent the second night in Kentucky, and drove the rest of the way the last day. It was leisurely going home, but I'd still prefer to do it straight through, as would DH. The only reason we stopped those two nights is that we went to the big RV shown in Tampa while we were there and traded in the TT we took down there with us. We wanted to try out our new souvenir

Ozgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 04:12 PM   #23

Does anybody know if the Premium sites have enough exposed sand (generally) to pitch a 10x10 screenhouse and anchor it to the ground w/ stakes? I understand thunderstorms pop up quickly and often; I don't want to come back and find my screenhouse in the woods or wrapped around the camper b/c I couldn't stake it down.

I'm really hoping I can take it with us !

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 04:29 PM   #24

Or last trip we stayed in the 1400 loop which is a premium site, it would not have had room for a 10x10, the site was almost all concrete. The preferred sites have more room at the back of the site for tents, screen rooms etc. Go to Youtube and search for loops at fort wilderness, there are some good videos that show all the loops and what the sites look like.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 04:30 PM   #25

Oh that's a bummer, but thanks for letting me know.

Old 04-01-2017, 04:36 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Average 20-25 minutes. The backway usually takes longer because of traffic and lights.
Fort Wilderness has busses that will take you there. Actually, they take you everywhere in Disney.
Much better than driving.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 05:27 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
Fort Wilderness has busses that will take you there. Actually, they take you everywhere in Disney.
Much better than driving.
Not to UNIVERSAL.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 05:31 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
Does anybody know if the Premium sites have enough exposed sand (generally) to pitch a 10x10 screenhouse and anchor it to the ground w/ stakes?!
We spent 5 winters at the FORT on a premium site and had 3 10x10's set up, never lost one. You may may not get 4 corners staked but 2 if not 3. Long bungee cords with stakes work wonders.
Old 04-01-2017, 05:36 PM   #29

Thanks Grumpy.

Old 04-04-2017, 05:55 AM   #30

Not meaning to hijack from the OP, but I was on hold for 45 mins this morning trying to make a reservation at the fort for kids spring break next year. I finally got it done for 6 days, but 45 mins is a crazy wait time!
Old 04-04-2017, 06:24 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
Not meaning to hijack from the OP, but I was on hold for 45 mins this morning trying to make a reservation at the fort for kids spring break next year. I finally got it done for 6 days, but 45 mins is a crazy wait time!
That's just why it's better to use a Travel Agent, doesn't cost you a dime extra. Here's who we use, he can also add loop/ site requests to your reservation.

jason@mousecounselors.com
Old 04-04-2017, 06:26 AM   #32

I tried him Grumpy. He never got got with me after he said he would.

Old 04-04-2017, 06:30 AM   #33

Quote:

You're the first to say that. Wonder if he lost your contact info?
Old 04-04-2017, 06:33 AM   #34

I emailed him a week ago this past Sunday and he immediately emailed me back that Sunday and said he'd get it done on Monday (the next day). He emailed that Monday and said a new promotion was released by Disney and he would take care of me on Tuesday (again the next day). No response further, so I woke up early and called myself.

Old 04-04-2017, 08:03 AM   #35

How far in advance do you have to make reservation? I been trying to find a site for this summer with no luck.
SOMBATFAMILY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:35 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOMBATFAMILY View Post
How far in advance do you have to make reservation? I been trying to find a site for this summer with no luck.
I've always been told to plan about 1 year in advance for Disney/Ft. Wilderness.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:37 AM   #37

Quote:

I wanted to let everyone know that Grumpy's contact (Jason) did get back to me this morning. He had some family stuff come up, which happens to all of us now and then. Didn't want to turn anyone off from using him in the future.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:58 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOMBATFAMILY View Post
Quote:
I've always been told to plan about 1 year in advance for Disney/Ft. Wilderness.
Again contact Jason, he has gotten last minute reservations for people over Christmas. He will work on it.

Also you can make reservations 499 days ahead from your check out date. If your thinking about a trip make a site only reservation which can be cancelled up to 5 days before arrival with no penalty. If you want a package, tickets etc, you can add them at a later date. Packages have a 3O day cancellation policy if I remember correctly.
Old 04-05-2017, 03:09 AM   #39

I had reservations for Ft. Wilderness for right now, but two weeks ago my better half fell and broke her hip (cracked actually) so we had to delay until late May. I called Disney and they cheerfully changed our reservation and even sent me a credit for $204 because late May was cheaper. It was a 10 minute or less phone call.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 01:02 PM   #40

I am looking into going to the fort next summer. Is there a better way to buy tickets than through fort wilderness. $1100 for two days of tickets seems crazy to me for 2 kids and two adults. Are there any other tips you have for me when booking my reservation.
jerm2118 is offline   Reply With Quote