Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-24-2016, 04:36 PM   #1

Disney Fort Wilderness Tips?

So were doin disney this summer with our young kids (4 and 6) and pulling the Jayco to the Disney Fort Wilderness campground. I have read bring an enlosed firepit as there are none provided if we want a campfire, any other tips from those that have done this? Any fun kids activities at the campground to plan on/schedule?
jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 04:49 PM   #2

There are all kinds of kids activities at the pool daily. Also plan on attending the Campfire Sing a long and movie with Chip and Dale in attendance. You can bring your own marshmallows and sticks or buy a kit at the chuck wagon.$$ I think the summer start is at 8:00 pm.

Have a "Magical" trip.
Old 04-24-2016, 04:50 PM   #3
Site Team

We went two years ago. The fort could be its own vacation without even visiting the parks. There is a lot to do. They do a community campfire every night and a sing along your kids are the perfect age to really enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 05:59 PM   #4

If you want info about camping at Fort Wilderness check out this link, its for the DISboards camping section at the fort. As others have said there is so much to do that some people don't even go to the parks. Its one of the nicest campgrounds you may ever visit, transportation is great, you don't have to drive to the parks. From the fort you take a boat to the Magic Kingdom front entrance, its such a peaceful way to start the day.

Camping at Disney World | The DIS Disney Discussion Forums - DISboards.com
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 01:16 PM   #5

We have gone a bunch of times. Many trips we never even go to the parks. As a guest at FW, you are considered a resort guest. Use the ferry, and hop from resort pool to resort pool. Bring a rolling cooler with you too as they let you bring your own food/drinks poolside.

The Hoop Di Do Review and Backyard BBQ are fun for the kids as are the nightly movie and sing along. Bring your own smores supplies or buy them there (at a high cost of course).

Loop 1400 is our favorite as it is central to everything. It backs up to the campfire movie area, is very close to the pool and fishing area, and is also close to one of their stores.

They now have WiFi around the campground a well which is nice. Have fun!
jconner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 03:35 PM   #6

Agree with what has been said so far. We were just there a month ago. The beach is fun with a nice marina where you can rent 2 people speed boats. On one of our trips there we actually hired a fishing guide to take us out on one of the pontoon boats and caught some nice bass.

Don't forget to see the lighted water parade at the beach, it goes on nightly.
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 11:38 AM   #7

Another great forum with tons of info is FortFiends. Rent a golf cart off property.
FoxRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 06:56 AM   #8

I live 3 hours from Disney and plan to do lots of trips without even going to the parks. Fort Wilderness is probably one of the best and cleanest campgrounds in the state or the country for that matter. Lots of pine trees and plenty of things to do. Rent a golf cart or bring bikes. Lots of ground to cover.
ScarabChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 08:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarabChris View Post
I live 3 hours from Disney and plan to do lots of trips without even going to the parks. Fort Wilderness is probably one of the best and cleanest campgrounds in the state or the country for that matter. Lots of pine trees and plenty of things to do. Rent a golf cart or bring bikes. Lots of ground to cover.

Yes! We went 4 summers ago when our kids were 9 and 6. Park was very clean and enjoyable. employees were cleaning down the playground equipment all the time and the pool was just as clean. Bikes are a must in the park unless you golf cart it or take the bus shuttle to the different stops. They had a boat light show on the water also at our last night there which was pretty neat.
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 09:36 PM   #10

I live in omaha and we are thinking of visiting the fort with our Jayco. I was wondering how long it took you to get there and what's the longest distance you drove at one time? Thanks

2011 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax
B&W companion 5th wheel hitch
Mark464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 10:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark464 View Post
I live in omaha and we are thinking of visiting the fort with our Jayco. I was wondering how long it took you to get there and what's the longest distance you drove at one time? Thanks
When we did it, we were leaving from the Kansas City area near the stadium complex (KOA KC East). We made it from there to the Chattanooga West KOA in Trenton GA in 1 long 14 hour day (Left around 8:05, arrived around 10:30PM, but with the time change it was actually 11:30), and then we left the morning first thing and had about 10 hours into Fort Wilderness.

We took 3 days on the way home, depending on how much time you have, I would highly recommend 3 days each way. If you have to pick one way for 3 days, do it on the way home is my advice. I really wish we had been able to take more time during the travel, but we wanted 5 days at Disney, and our timeline was pretty tight. Pull thru sites where you can just plug in and sleep and campgrounds with night checkin and near the interstates are your friend.

We kept the speed at 65, and mostly only stopped for gas. You will hit Toll's crossing from western FL into Orlando, and with a trailer they are more, so make sure you have cash with you. You might also consider going down to the panhandle thru Alabama rather than drive thru Atlanta with the trailer (especially at rush hour during the week), we came back thru Alabama.

ProPride 3P

jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 11:00 PM   #12

Quote:
We love 'The Fort'!... and so do lots of other folks. I suggest you make your reservations ASAP! We are going this fall (2017) and made our reservations a year in advance.

There are several/many Ft.Wilderness fans on this site ('Grumpy' is one of them) that might be able to answer your 'Fort' questions. There is also a site called 'fort fiends' you could could check out.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:50 PM   #13

We just got back from there a couple hours ago (barely, that southeast storm was a bear!) I second the Disboard site, but will warn you, some people there go a bit overboard on things and before you know it, you'll find yourself doing it too.

We stayed for 4 nights and didn't go to a park and everyone still had fun. We've been to Disney a bunch of times, and a few times at the campground. My complaint is that with the parks, we never had time to camp, always running, so we did that this time.

DW wanted to rent a golf cart, she was grinning ear to ear driving it around, as well as DD (13).

Son, 11 years old, went on a horse trail ride and mom decided to join him at the last minute.

All of us went swimming, did the Trails End breakfast and Mickey Backyard BBQ and some bike riding.

Still didn't make the campfire or movie, but we still had a good time!

Should have stayed an extra day. Got stuck in that mess of the winter storm that made for a real slow go for about 150 miles. But we made it home safe!
Old 01-08-2017, 07:37 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdash View Post
DW wanted to rent a golf cart, she was grinning ear to ear driving it around, as well as DD (13).
Glad you had fun, but I hope DD enjoyed riding and wasn't driving the GC, DISNEY is very emphatic that you have to be a licensed driver.

And as oldmanAZ stated "FortFiends" is the best source for info.

www.fortfiends.net
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 08:42 AM   #15

As much as DD begged and pleaded, she was not allowed. In fact, my DW wouldn't even let me driver because I didn't sign in with her and show my license.

I was fine being chauffeured and didn't push the issue!
Old 02-17-2017, 08:22 PM   #16

Quote:

We are also going to the fort this summer we are going to stop in Columbia Mo 1 st night then Nashville 2 nights then savanna Georgia 3 nights then the Fort 4 nights on the way back Montgomery Alabama 2 nights south haven Mississippi 1 night Branson Mo 2 nights than the party's over back in Omaha. It shouldn't be more than 8 hours of driving at a time.

Old 02-17-2017, 08:41 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
We are also going to the fort this summer ...snip
Make your Ft. Wilderness reservations NOW if you haven't done that yet. They fill up fast.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 09:23 AM   #18

Yep all reservations made up and back. How is the drive from the fort to universal studios?

Old 02-18-2017, 09:49 AM   #19
M&A

I4 can become a parking lot at times. There are back ways via Palm Parkway and also South Apopka Vineland road.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Walt...3!2d28.4743207
M&A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 10:57 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
How is the drive from the fort to universal studios?
Average 20-25 minutes. The backway usually takes longer because of traffic and lights.
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote