Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-06-2015, 07:46 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey965 View Post
reading this makes me excited for our trip, we have 10 days at the fort booked for the first 2 weeks in feb (2nd-12th) im still trying to figure out what passes we want.

probably going to do alot of eating in the trailer and we have friends that live in Windermere so we will definitely spend some time out of the park, i was thinking just a regular 6 day pass, that way we have 4 days of rest but can see all the parks and the water parks (my son loves water slides) maybe i will just get a 5 day and pay for the extra if i need it

im so confused by everything, my head is spinning
Check that the water parks are open. They usually close one due to maintanance and possible low temps. Found that on 2 Feb trips in the past. Once was Blizzard beach and the other time it was TL.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:52 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwminnesota View Post
Do the food plan make sense? Remember I'm not camping so eating out is the only option. Also my family does not consume alot of food. If so what one?
Check out the Disney Insiders web site and the forum as there are some great tips and good explanations to all the options.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:48 PM   #23

Find a travel agent that specializes in Disney. Many don't charge any fees and they can save you time, money and aggravation. Disney can be overwhelming and you want to get it right.

I'm a travel agent but I don't like booking Disney, sorry.

-2004 Nissan Titan w/Equal-i-zer hitch
-2014 Jayco White Hawk 24 RBS
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:00 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDJollyMon View Post
Find a travel agent that specializes in Disney. Many don't charge any fees and they can save you time, money and aggravation. Disney can be overwhelming and you want to get it right.

I'm a travel agent but I don't like booking Disney, sorry.

Disney isn't overwhelming... Call them and they will cater to you. Definitely research online as there are great sites. Never heard of a free travel agent....
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:13 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCo View Post
Disney isn't overwhelming... Call them and they will cater to you. Definitely research online as there are great sites. Never heard of a free travel agent....
Planning a Disney World trip for a family for the first time can certainly be overwhelming for many people. It takes a lot of time to research things and you still won't know it all.

Most travel agents don't charge fees for packaged vacation planning. Maybe the old brick and mortar large agencies do... I don't know. Nowadays, most agents have home offices and don't charge fees for packages. I certainly don't.

-2004 Nissan Titan w/Equal-i-zer hitch
-2014 Jayco White Hawk 24 RBS
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 12:11 AM   #26
GMC

water parks were closed last Feb. too. While the weather was pretty nice, it wasn't quite water park nice!!
GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 04:04 AM   #27

well that sucks hopefully thats not the case this year, i was talking to my friends and they were saying its in about the 90 degree range right now so hopefully that keeps up

sorry to the op for the hijack
2006 Ford F150 5.4, (SOLD Oct 2014)
2014 Jayco Jayflight 26BH (SOLD Feb 2014)
carey965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 02:01 PM   #28

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/calendars/2015-02-02/

Looks like Typhoon Lagoon should be open while your there, but Blizzard Beach is closed until March.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 02:39 PM   #29

There's an iPhone app "My Disney Experience - Walt Disney World" that's free and pretty useful for looking at wait times and making Fast Pass selections on the go. I made restaurant reservations in up-scale places using "Open Table", also free.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 05:33 PM   #30

its also available for android and if you know what your doing it works great on blackberry 10
2006 Ford F150 5.4, (SOLD Oct 2014)
2014 Jayco Jayflight 26BH (SOLD Feb 2014)
carey965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 04:30 PM   #31

We have stayed in Fort Wilderness the last three years and have 2015 booked for August. Last year and the upcoming trip we are staying for 12 nights. I love the Fort and it's one of my favorite places to stay in Disney. I have not stayed in the Art of Animation but I hear it's nice. I do have a friend who is a travel agent if you need one. I did get a quote from AAA this year but they no longer have a contract with Disney and they quoted me the same price as my travel agent friend.

If this is a first time visit for the kids I would not do the park hopper. Visiting the Magic Kingdom and Epcot is a good days visit and we usually visit each one for two days. We did do the park hopper last year but only to visit Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios in the same day to do specific rides. We usually do 5 days of tickets with the waterpark and more option so we have 10 days of parks and go to Disney Quest one day.

We bring snacks and water bottles each day and I also make sandwiches to cut down on the cost of food. We also take a break for dinner at the rv. I have heard that the dining plan is good but for 6 of us it's too expensive and I feel like the benefit of having the RV is to make my own dinners.

My girls and I are going in March and staying at Caribbean Beach for a cheerleading competition. I think I will be missing the Fort...lol I would definitely talk to a good travel agent who can help you along the way. The three years I booked with AAA they did the booking and I never heard from them again. My travel agent friend is doing all my booking for any meals I may want and reminding me when reservations, fast passes, etc. need to be made. Most important thing is to have a great time!!!
RVfamilyof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 04:49 PM   #32

One other thing Memory Maker (was photopass plus) is something we always get. It's the one way we can all be in the photo and it includes the ride pictures. Definitely worth the money in my book. If you order in advance it's a little cheaper.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:59 AM   #33

Has anyone hauled the camper from the Midwest (NE) to fort wilderness if yes what route and time line? Or for a first time WDW and what is the best time of year and is it better to fly and just stay in a hotel on site. I have two boys they will be 9 and 11 we are planing for 2016.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:35 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Has anyone hauled the camper from the Midwest (NE) to fort wilderness if yes what route and time line? Or for a first time WDW and what is the best time of year and is it better to fly and just stay in a hotel on site. I have two boys they will be 9 and 11 we are planing for 2016.
WOW! Where to begin....
NE to WDW: I can't really help you. It might help others if you said you plan on camping along the way or rushing to get there ASAP.

There are peak times at WDW, usually around holidays and school breaks.

Flying gets you there faster, of course. There are cabins at Ft. Wilderness, so you don't need your own trailer to stay there. There are also folks that rent out trailers in Ft. Wilderness, if you really want to stay in a trailer but not tow your own.

By 'hotel' do you mean a Disney Resort?

The boys will be at great ages!

Planning for 2016 now, an excellent idea. Just FYI, we have reservations for FT Wilderness for the last 2 weeks of Oct. this year. DW found out today that 'The Fort' is now booked up for that time, except for tent sites.

To get the most for your money, you'll need to learn about the parks, accommodations, attractions, meals, etc. There are online sites, in addition to Disney's, with info. There are travel agents that are free to you that specialize in Disney vacations. There are books to buy or maybe through your local library, with information. And there are those of us on this site and 'Fort Fiends' that can help, too.

Using the 'search' on this site, see what you can learn from 'Grumpy'. He has posted often on Disney, especially 'The Fort.'

Happy searching and just ask if want more info.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 06:10 PM   #35

I am very prejudiced. Why stay in a hotel/cabin where you can't really relax, cook your own meals and in most cases spend less money per night. DISNEY provides the same transportation to and from the Parks from the campground that they provide at the hotels. There is a nightly sing along with Chip and Dale which is accompanied by a campfire where you can roast marshmallows and then watch a movie. You can go down to the marina at night and watch the fireworks from the Magic Kingdom as well as the Electric LIght Parade, and the list goes on.

For those of you who really want all kinds of info on the FORT, WDW and camping in general join us on FORT FIENDS. No, I didn't misspell friends, it is FIENDS as in finatic, because that is what the majority of us are. Finatics about DINSEY in general.

There are many members who come down from New England so I know you can get info about where to stop and which routes are best. I only use I-75 so I can't help you there.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:56 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
I am very prejudiced. Why stay in a hotel/cabin where you can't really relax, cook your own meals and in most cases spend less money per night. DISNEY provides the same transportation to and from the Parks from the campground that they provide at the hotels. There is a nightly sing along with Chip and Dale which is accompanied by a campfire where you can roast marshmallows and then watch a movie. You can go down to the marina at night and watch the fireworks from the Magic Kingdom as well as the Electric LIght Parade, and the list goes on.

For those of you who really want all kinds of info on the FORT, WDW and camping in general join us on FORT FIENDS. No, I didn't misspell friends, it is FIENDS as in finatic, because that is what the majority of us are. Finatics about DINSEY in general.

There are many members who come down from New England so I know you can get info about where to stop and which routes are best. I only use I-75 so I can't help you there.
All of what Grumpy said... but I'm going to tweak the second sentence to say, 'Stay in a Ft. Wildness cabin, but only if you cannot tow your trailer there. You can really relax and cook your own meals if you want.' (The cabins have kitchens and basic cooking and serving utensils.)

BTW, at 'The Fort' you'll want a golf cart. It isn't required, but I'll guarantee your boys will get a kick out of it and it helps all of you to get places quicker than the Ft Wilderness loop buses or walking.

We've stayed at Ft. Wilderness twice so far; once in a class-B and once in a cabin with the kids and a grand kid. We've stayed on-property for all other visits; the Poly, Boardwalk, Port Orleans, Caribbean Beach, Pop Century, and at a few times in DVC rooms. Hands down, staying at Ft. Wilderness has been the best experience for us.
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 11:03 PM   #37

William, We will be there in another month and are driving from Oklahoma. Originally my plan was to tow my little tiny camper but now I am in the process of buying a Jayco Octane 222 and I will tow it instead. I am thinking we will head south to McAlester and down through Mt. Pleasant, Texas to Shreveport. Then over and down to Mobile -I have friends in Mobile so we will stop and say hi plus if something goes wrong we have a plan b.

I have towed my little camper to Wyoming and all around Oklahoma but am nervous about the Octane. I will go slow and I decided to stretch out the drive longer than I had planned. I can back in no problem it's gas stations that are my fear, LOL. But with the flying J app and I have google earth mapped some gas stations along the way, I am less worried about being able to find one big enough.
okieinalaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 04:02 PM   #38

Yes we would stay on Disney property if we fly down. But it is always more relaxing in your own space and all the Utube videos make fort wilderness look great. What is the best time of year for the least crowds? How long does it take to get from the parks to your camper? Okieinalaska congratulation on your new toy hauler. Let us know how your trip goes and post some pic when you get back.