Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-02-2017, 09:48 AM   #1

Question Dispersed vs established

Back packing in SouthWest Montana when I was very young was fun and exciting. Then my folks got a TT and we camped alot in National Forest Campgrounds like Georgetown Lake.

I got the camping bug in 2001 and would take my 3 kids (EX didn't like camping)and loaded minivan to local Forest campgrounds. Setting up the tent always was a sense of relief. It felt like a huge weight off my shoulders.

Now I have an amazing husband and 6 bonus kids. We did our first summer 2014 camping in 3 separate tents. 1 for boys, 1 for girls and 1 for Dh & I. My back isn't what it was so DH & I bought our first TT in 2015 and absolutely love it. When we first started camping in our new TT, it was at Farragut state park Northern Idaho. This campground is beautiful. It is a local (Spokane & Coeur d'Alene) favorite. Lots of pull through spots, electric, water and 2 dump stations. Trails for mountain biking, great spots to swim. But with 3 loud grouchy dogs, we knew we needed a more private camping spot.

Driving around the National Forest in Feb. & March is beautiful. But hard to find good dispersed spots in the snow. But we found several in ORV access Forest areas. 2 TV's and dirt bikes, 4wheelers, a chain saw, generator, our TT loaded with fresh water and lots of food and clothes for all 8 of us and then of course the 3 dogs.

I think it will be a long time before we go back to a paved, complete service campground. But when we tell people we camp in dispersed areas, the looks we get. I am glad my husband showed me dispersed.

What do you think of dispersed vs established sites? Have you ever camped both? What do you look for in a camping spot?

Oh and yes, I make sure we are out of cell service range and No we do not have a TV in the trailer. But we play Janga, softball if we're not out on the bikes & 4wheelers.
Farman Blends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 05:09 PM   #2

Your kind of camping is my preference. Always has been. We still use our tents and sleeping bags when we want to experience 'real' camping. The backpacking gear doesn't get much use lately though.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 07:52 PM   #3

It all depends....

If we are going out for a weekend, we'd love dispersed, however, that would be further than we want to drive for a short trip. Too much time driving for not enough time camping.

Generally, we try to stay at State or National Park campgrounds. Commercial campgrounds are last resort for us.

Our longer trips tend to be to visit a National Park, or several in an area, where we are spending most of our time hiking or exploring and seeing the sights of the country. We find that the National Park campgrounds, especially those without hookups, are spread out enough to enjoy.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:20 PM   #4

It all depends on what you are looking for on the National Forests.
Dispersed sites offer privacy, solitude, and the opportunity to be self-sufficient.
Developed sites offer amenities (vault or flush toilets), potable water available somewhere in the campground, sometimes a campground host, and usually are located on some sort of attraction - lake, river, etc.
They also have other campers, which may or may not be to your liking.

We have done both, usually dispersed for a shorter time, developed if we are staying longer. But we are in the east, and dispersed sites are in shorter supply east of the Mississippi. (We live a bit east, but often camp north of the Mississippi!)
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 08:36 AM   #5

Our preference is national forest campgrounds. They usually just have vault toilets and most have water available at a pump of some kind, but with no hookups it keeps the riff-raff away. I like that most don't take reservations, so when we arrive at a nearly empty CG in midweek, we don't have to worry about getting booted if we want to stay over the weekend.

2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 Super Crew 3.5L Ecoboost
2017 Jay Feather X213
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 09:03 AM   #6

We use dispersed campsites about 75% of the time. Our primary purpose for using pay campsites is to fill up water, empty tanks and scout out where the dispersed sites are in the area.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4wheelers, dirt bikes, dogs