Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-13-2013, 09:37 AM   #1

drive from Kingston Ontario Canada to the Outerbanks - OBX

Fist time going to the outerbanks and wondering which route is best.
We will be going the last 2 weeks of April.
Should we take the route around Washington or the chesapeake bay bridge tunnel?
When routing both route on the google map, they both look to be about the same distance and time but worry a bit about the bridge-tunnel with the 5th wheel and also worrry a bit going around Washington.
Thanks
https://3dogsandacamper.tumblr.com
Boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:07 PM   #2

Used to drive from Ottawa to VA and back quite a bit many years ago - used to do the beltway around WA. Only issue was the never-ending rush-hour...If I'm right, took me 12 or 14hrs. Never did it with a trailer, but do remember hitting snow in the Feb timeframe. Be safe...

2010 JayFeather 23K
05 GMC Envoy XL
McMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:10 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply! We've decided to go 81 to 476 and Chesapeake bridge tunnel
Weather should be good in April (I hope)
Old 02-11-2013, 10:05 AM   #4

:applause:Excellent decision on your route Boubou! As McMonk said that DC beltway is more often than not a slow moving parking lot. I've not traveled the Chesapeake Bay Tunnel/Bridge yet but we will in October. From what we've gathered this is a beautiful drive. You shouldn't experience any troubles with the 5er. Below is a link that you might find helpful.

http://www.cbbt.com/index.html

If your trip permits, I suggest you ferry to Ocracoke and stop in at Howard's Pub. The food and atmosphere are excellent and the beverages are Cold!

Tell'em Kave sent ya! (JK) they won't know me

We hope you enjoy the NC hospitatlity!!
Old 02-11-2013, 12:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boubou View Post
Thanks for the reply! We've decided to go 81 to 476 and Chesapeake bridge tunnel
Weather should be good in April (I hope)
April will probably be great. Choice of route is good. If you want to stop before you get to the bridge tunnel, there is Kiptopeake State Park on your right several miles before the tunnel. I was a camp host there and it's a nice stop. Always a vacancy. Tunnel fee is $20.00 but the view is pretty good. There is another toll road in Chesapeake, but you can bypass it if you get off at the last exit before toll road starts. Both roads (toll and non-toll) end at the same point. No problem w/a 5th wheel on the bridge. If there are high wind warnings, then they won't let you cross. That's the only issue. Otherwise, there's a nice rest stop on the bridge if you want to take in the view.
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam
Prodigy P2
Tanker42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:00 PM   #6
Site Team

I agree with what Tanker42 said. BTW if you take the Bridge Tunnel route, you will pass right through Crabman country.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:16 PM   #7

The only problem that might cause you to change your plans are high winds. Take along both routes and check the wind before you get close to the BBT. Have a good trip.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:30 PM   #8

Boubou....I agree with what the others have recommended.......No way should you go around Washington....it can be a scary experience in a car let alone towing a camper.... Once you are South of Northern Del the scenery turns rural.(Take Del Rte 1 to Rte 13 is the easiest route) If you do go Rte 13 through Southern DE watch your speed in the little towns...they are legendary speed traps. It's a very nice ride. Crabman country is really neat.... The CBBT is a beautiful piece of engineering...in April you should see tons of boats real close to the bridge fishing. You can stop 1/2 way at the rest stop. (Sometimes they give coupons for a free ice cream cone).... Not sure where you're going on the OBX...Ocracoke Island is a great place to visit.....the commercial campgrounds look a little rough. It's a neat place to visit.... If I can help you in any way let me know...
Doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlebug View Post
Boubou....I agree with what the others have recommended.......No way should you go around Washington....it can be a scary experience in a car let alone towing a camper.... Once you are South of Northern Del the scenery turns rural.(Take Del Rte 1 to Rte 13 is the easiest route) If you do go Rte 13 through Southern DE watch your speed in the little towns...they are legendary speed traps. It's a very nice ride. Crabman country is really neat.... The CBBT is a beautiful piece of engineering...in April you should see tons of boats real close to the bridge fishing. You can stop 1/2 way at the rest stop. (Sometimes they give coupons for a free ice cream cone).... Not sure where you're going on the OBX...Ocracoke Island is a great place to visit.....the commercial campgrounds look a little rough. It's a neat place to visit.... If I can help you in any way let me know...
Thanks for the great tips. I will follow your recommendations.
We are going to Camp Hatteras for 8 nights
Hoping for good weather! We are taking it easy, driving about 300 miles a day, camping along the way. Total trip will be 2 weeks, last two weeks of April.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:33 PM   #10

You are making me reminisce. As a kid we lived on the mainland near Cherry Point (NC). We went out to the outer banks all the time. We would sail the catamaran in the sound, take the ferry to the island to camp (PU) and fish. I do recall a few trips north to the CBBT. I do not remember much of that just that I always wondered when we were in the tunnel if a Carrier was going over head. The idea for a young child was awesome. We are tentatively planning a trip to the outer banks in a few years. If you have a 4x4 drive out on the beach, but do NOT drive into any water, or you will get stuck, and lose your truck. Definitely get out on the beach to the former location of the Cape Hatters Light House, that very close to where the North and South Atlantic currents collide and if the weather is right the waves (Church Steeple waves) can be incredible.

The last time I was out there was in the 80’s. I’m thinking it is time for another trip.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:29 PM   #11

Things have changed a little Jagiven.....we used to go every year and rent a place on Ocracoke....we absolutely loved it. The island was very Rustic.....a few bars that was it... as one lady told me...if you don't fish and you don't read you might as well stay home. Me, the wife and our two labs rented a house down there this year....first time in about 10 years. It's much more commercial now...still nice, just different. The biggest difference is you now have to pay to go on the beach....$50 a week.. still the best $50 you'll ever spend.... we're planning on a trip down this fall....will probably not camp on Ocracoke.....but will day trip it there for sure.... Just to day myself....when I was a kid...we used to travel from the Eastern Shore of Maryland to visit friends stationed at Norfolk......we took the ferry...no CBBT.....that was in the early 60's.
Doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:46 AM   #12

I will also be there the last week in April. I will only be driving from Burlington NC though. Staying at Camp Hatteras in Rodanthe. If you happen to be at the same place stop by for a cold drink. Im will be in a Jayco 254 being pulled by an Explorer Sport Trac. Look for the East Carolina Pirate flag. Have a safe trip.
roccoecu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:58 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boubou View Post
Thanks for the great tips. I will follow your recommendations.
We are going to Camp Hatteras for 8 nights
Hoping for good weather! We are taking it easy, driving about 300 miles a day, camping along the way. Total trip will be 2 weeks, last two weeks of April.
Hey, Boubou, be sure to post some pictires of your trip! Enjoy
Old 02-26-2013, 10:36 AM   #14

Everything changes; we lived in NC in the early 70’s. The last time I was back was mid 80’s, I would guess. The town we lived in had really grew, but the islands seemed to have a little growth, mostly houses. One of the guys I work with (just moved here) is from the next town over from where I lived and he has described the area as approaching a major metropolitan area.

Does not surprise me that they charge to get out on the beach, but $50 a week seems a bit high. We always camped at the NP CG. From the pictures on-line the CG does not look as it has changed much. We are planning a trip out there in few years.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:33 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccoecu View Post
I will also be there the last week in April. I will only be driving from Burlington NC though. Staying at Camp Hatteras in Rodanthe. If you happen to be at the same place stop by for a cold drink. Im will be in a Jayco 254 being pulled by an Explorer Sport Trac. Look for the East Carolina Pirate flag. Have a safe trip.
And we'll be sporting a JOF sticker
- Grey Eagle HT
Old 02-26-2013, 11:35 AM   #16

And yes we will be staying at camp Hatteras
Old 02-26-2013, 01:42 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlebug View Post
I use this route about 2-3x a year and have always used the 113 rte in place of the 13 route just due to the more open road with less lights. You do head out east more and towards OC but I have found I like moving more this way. I have not been on 13 in over 10 years south of Dover so I am curious if there has been any improvements to town bypasses in the last 5-6 years like the many that have been added on 17 south?

I am heading down this route in a few weeks again. As for speed traps I did get caught on one but is was in NC on 17 which let me off with a warning last trip. I do slow down for the towns in most cases this just happened to be a wide open area that was reducing from 65.

One thing of note. When you get off the CBBT in VA the traffic can be brutal depending on the time of day you hit it. Also remember the bridge is 23 miles long so check your fuel before heading out on it. And there are drawbridges in various paths in Virginia beach that can cripple you especially if your towing. I have heard of people being stuck for 1.5 hrs under the right conditions. Once your stopped for it there is no way out and you have to wait until it closes so pay attention to the signs warning you of an opening time if on your route.

There are several lights you hit right after the bridge and there are also propane restrictions with certain tunnels throughout VA so be mindful of them if you take a different route home. The Washington corridor I have lost more than I have won trying to go that way so I am resolved to this being the best route.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:38 PM   #18

Wow! you guys are great help. I always get a little un-easy going on unknown roads, especially with the 5th wheel. I don't do the driving, I do the planning and routing. I like to know exactly what road and hindrances. These tips are great and very helpful. I also route with the Rand Mcnally 7710 GPS, Google map and Rand Mcnally truck Atlas ROFL!
Back in the days before trailer, I would just go! and not worry. But now, I have to be prepared and know there are no low bridges anywhere nearby our route and if there are, make note of them as well.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:01 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccoecu View Post
We are getting there on the 20th and leaving the 28th April. Might not be able to meet but hey! if you do get there before we leave, stop by the grey jayco Eagle HT 23.5 (just look for a short little 5th wheel) and a grey Dodge Ram near the dunes. We always have cold "beverages"
Old 02-27-2013, 07:28 AM   #20

We will be there the 22-26 then heading down to Ocracoke until the 29th. I'll have a rod rack on the front of the sport trac.
roccoecu is offline   Reply With Quote