Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-08-2016, 01:58 PM   #1

Finger Lakes or Shenandoah

We are looking to take a week trip in early May to either the Finger Lakes of New York or the Shenandoah National Park area. Kinda torn between the two. Does anyone have any suggestions?
weekendwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 02:09 PM   #2

We camp in the Shenandoah National Park area frequently and love it. It is a great place for hiking and sightseeing on Skyline drive. Our favorite place to go is Endless Caverns RV Resort in New Market VA - it is a really nice place with a caverns on site. It is actually the only campgrounds we have gone to more than once (we like new adventures), we have been there 3 times in the last 1-1/2 seasons we have been camping and are headed back at least twice this year. It takes about 30 minutes to get to Skyline drive from Endless Caverns.

2019 Open Range 374BHS
2107 Chevrolet 3500HD dually
Gone campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 02:10 PM   #3

Each has its own beauty. Shenandoah will probably be warmer & gas, as well as other purchases might be cheaper. If you go on Skyline Drive just know that the speed limit is 35mph the whole way(!) and you pay to get on. There are a limited number of entrance/exit points.
movinon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 02:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone campin View Post
We camp in the Shenandoah National Park area frequently and love it. It is a great place for hiking and sightseeing on Skyline drive. Our favorite place to go is Endless Caverns RV Resort in New Market VA - it is a really nice place with a caverns on site. It is actually the only campgrounds we have gone to more than once (we like new adventures), we have been there 3 times in the last 1-1/2 seasons we have been camping and are headed back at least twice this year. It takes about 30 minutes to get to Skyline drive from Endless Caverns.
Thanks! I saw Endless Cavers on the RVParks app. I was planning on looking into it a little more. I wish the National Park campgrounds had electric, but at least this one is close to the parkway.
Old 04-08-2016, 02:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
Each has its own beauty. Shenandoah will probably be warmer & gas, as well as other purchases might be cheaper. If you go on Skyline Drive just know that the speed limit is 35mph the whole way(!) and you pay to get on. There are a limited number of entrance/exit points.
Thanks, that's a good point. I didn't know there was a fee to drive the Skyline.
Old 04-08-2016, 02:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by weekendwarrior View Post
Thanks, that's a good point. I didn't know there was a fee to drive the Skyline.
There is, I can't remember exactly how much, but you may want to get a week pass if they have one.

2019 Open Range 374BHS
Old 04-08-2016, 02:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by weekendwarrior View Post
Thanks! I saw Endless Cavers on the RVParks app. I was planning on looking into it a little more. I wish the National Park campgrounds had electric, but at least this one is close to the parkway.
If you have any questions, let me know. Check out their website too.

2019 Open Range 374BHS
Old 04-08-2016, 03:22 PM   #8

May in the finger lakes can be chilly but we like this time of year since kids are still in school and the parks are not busting at the seams.

Letchworth State Park is beautiful, the RV sites at the state park are small though but they do have electrical hookups.

We stayed at Woodstream RV park once, family owned, lots of seasonal sites which we don't care for but it's reasonably priced. Not far from the state park but then you pay daily access fees each day you enter the park.

Another great trip is Watkins Glen, the KOA is awsome if you have kids. Much more activities in and around The Glen than Letchworth.

Each park has its pluses and minuses depending on the age of your family and what it is everyone likes to do. Some of the state park sites at Watkins have electric as well.
jjvirginia is offline   Reply With Quote