Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-03-2017, 12:35 PM   #1

First year snowbirding in our new Eagle

We are spending the next 3+ months at Riverside RV Resort and Campground near Arcadia, Florida. From November to April, they cater exclusively to snowbirds so no families, tents, etc. Our favorite (so far), winter campsite.
Attached Thumbnails
20170102_144243_1483390867661.jpg   FB_IMG_1483385937073_1483390868980.jpg   FB_IMG_1483385944486_1483390868850.jpg   FB_IMG_1483385955505_1483390868691.jpg  
Old 01-03-2017, 03:34 PM   #2

Looks like a nice spot. I can't wait until retirement to hopefully do the same.
Equalizer 10k WD, Prodigy P3 Controller, TST TPMS

2012 - Jayco Sport 10 Popup - Traded
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 03:40 PM   #3
Site Team

No families?
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 06:13 PM   #4

The site looks wonderful and warm.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
No families?
Well, maybe the term "no families" wasn't the best way to describe what I meant.

During the summer months (May-Oct.) this park is specifically geared towards families "with" kids, and all types of camping are allowed such as tents, pop ups, etc. But during the other 6 months (Nov-Apr), Riverside does not allow tents, hybrids or pop ups and is totally geared towards long term "snowbirds" of which none that I know of, have kids staying with them. You may see a kid here or there, but those are most likely grandkids/nieces/nephews just visiting for the day.

Because of the winter demand, reservations here are usually made 1 year in advance, are for at least a month or more, many return year after year, and at times there is a waiting list. Also, during those months, there are also no "kid" oriented activities planned by the staff like there is in the summer and longer term (weeks/months) stays take preference over say a weekend stay. So even though I can't say there is an "official" policy of no "families", and I have seen an occasional "family" here over Christmas/New Years, the end result of these policies is that those families with kids are "encouraged" to look elsewhere during the winter.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:47 PM   #6

Looks like you'll have no problems adapting to Snowbirding...congrats and enjoy.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 05:27 PM   #7

My parents snowbirded at Riverside for 8 years. They loved being on the Peace river. In fact, they loved it so much they sold the 5th wheel and built a house in Rotonda West, not far from there. No more snowbirding for them!
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 06:47 PM   #8

Hi : We have a new 2017 Jayco 330 rsts. Looks just like yours. We want to go to new
mexico in early april 2017. Problem is when we come back to western co not sure how
the temps will be. Don't want to re winterize again as we will be leaving again for az in may
How cold does it have to get before rv pipes start to freeze when we are back in western
co. We have the cold weather package. What do you suggest

Thanks
Ron
970-856-3346
samantha9232013@gmail.com
Cedaredge, Co
Jon Luc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 07:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Luc View Post
Hi : We have a new 2017 Jayco 330 rsts. Looks just like yours. We want to go to new
mexico in early april 2017. Problem is when we come back to western co not sure how
the temps will be. Don't want to re winterize again as we will be leaving again for az in may
How cold does it have to get before rv pipes start to freeze when we are back in western
co. We have the cold weather package. What do you suggest

Thanks
Ron
970-856-3346
samantha9232013@gmail.com
Cedaredge, Co
Hey Ron,

There is a lot of good info on winterization on this board, and it seems there are a lot of opinions on when and when not to winterize.

When I winterize, I do so in steps according to expected conditions. Please know that nothing I state here is absolute and should not be taken as a sure fire way to ensure your unit is protected. But this is what I have come up with in regards to what others have posted and what makes ME feel comfortable when temps get cold.

A "first level" winterization would be my first choice. That involves keeping power to the trailer, slides probably in (unless I was still staying in the trailer) and run the furnace to keep the underbelly warm as well. I would do this if there was a short duration of below freezing temps expected (a few hours overnight), and not below 25 degrees. With our residential refrigerator, I also have to consider the water lines under the kitchen slide out which are NOT protected in any way so I would either look to blow out that line and turn off the water supply under the sink or just pull in the kitchen slide while temps were below freezing. Space heaters inside the trailer will NOT protect the lines below or the gray/black tanks.

A "second level" winterization would be to blow out all the lines with an air compressor and pour anti freeze in all the traps making sure there was enough to flow into the gray/black tanks as well. I would take this step if the furnace was not going to run and temps were expected to be in the 20's for a few days then warm up again.

A "third level" winterization would start with a second level winterization then feed antifreeze thru all the lines and traps. This would occur if I expected the trailer to basically "be in storage" with no power for an extended period where temps would go below freezing.

These are general guidelines that I think about and nothing is set in stone.

I even have went as far as practicing my winterization by using food colored water instead of anti freeze and ran thru the process at least twice. I also make sure that if heading into possible weather like that, I have everything I need to winterize in a park somewhere on the way home.

And finally, don't forget about those washer prep lines. I have an issue with the way Jayco did these in that there is no way that I know of to cut off the water to these lines so that they don't freeze up where they are routed thru the front, "unheated" pass thru compartment. One of my mods this coming summer is to figure out a way to add additional valves closer to where they are fed from and just keep them blown out and closed all the time. I forgot these during my first winterization practice run and only remembered them when I went to put things away in the front pass thru and saw them.

HTH,

J
Old 01-17-2017, 02:16 AM   #10

Congrats! Brother you are living the dream, I retired about three years ago in June and man I am loving it, although I do Pastor a church here I can't get away like you can but I'm planning a short two week trip down to Vegas this summer. I really love your taste of TT, in a matter of fact I was already at the Jayco site looking at that same TT.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote