Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Camping and RV'ing > Campgrounds and Attractions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2014, 12:22 PM   #1

Fort Clinch and James Island County Campground reviews

Just got back from vacationing at Fort Clinch in FL and James Island in Charleston, SC. What more can I say than these are 2 fantastic CG"s!!

Ft. Clinch (river side) was basically 100% shaded by Oaks and hanging moss and our site was large and fairly private. I booked ours 9 months in advance and got my pick. I did notice that there are a lot fewer larger spots than smaller spots so I'm glad I booked early. The shower houses are fairly new and get this...it had A/C!!!! What a nice surprise for us. This park has about 3 miles of tunnel trees before getting to our CG. Just beautiful! It is extremely bike friendly. The beach CG looked very nice but sites were very close together and no shade. It did have a nice breeze. It was lined with palm trees and close to beach, but you couldn't swim here b/c the current is too rough. The beach is very, very nice and wasn't crowded at all. The walk to the beach is down a fairly long boardwalk, so remember if you're carrying alot of stuff. We enjoyed touring Ft. Clinch. It was worth the nominal $2.00 entrance fee. I liked that the SP didn't charge us their entry free into the overall park b/c we were camping there. Our IN campgrounds still charge the entry fee if you're camping. We also took a day trip to St. Augustine. Loved that adventure!

James Island Why is this CG have to be so far away from me??!! It has everything! Our site was wonderful. We could hear the frogs at night from the nearby pond. The bike riding is outstanding. The bike trail was amazing and situated in the trees. We rode everywhere. We loved the unleashed dog park even though we didn't bring ours. Was fun watching them run around and play in the water. We had a full hookup site, which most are, so we didn't use the shower house. My daughter informed me right away that they were not air-conditioned! I walked in them and they were not as nice as Ft. Clinch's but very adequate and nicer than some CG's I've visited. That has never really been a priority for me. I prefer to have other amenities. Doesn't matter how new the shower house is; I always wear flip flops while showering. We didn't visit Folly Beach but took the short drive to Charleston and visited Ft. Sumter. I'm a Civil War freak so it was neat visiting the place where it started. We went to the water park located onsite twice. The CG charged $3.00 less per ticket so get them there. Kind of pricey at CG price of $8.99/person but we did enjoy ourselves. We rode our bikes to check out the cottages. They looked nice, and on stilts, from the outside. If we get to come back, without the camper, we would definitely stay there. We traveled almost 1900 miles on our 11 day vacation and easily spent $1000 in gas pulling our tin can on wheels around and also sightseeing. Ouch!!! Was worth it though.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:44 PM   #2

We went to James Island County Park in June. Loved it, we stayed a week. Tickets for the waterpark are BOGO free on Wednesdays. It was a nice alternative for a non-beach day. Yes bathrooms are not air conditioned, mens did not seem to have problems with critters but the womens did, I like nature just don't want to shower with it. Because its a county park, you get free parking at Folly Beach (15 minutes), Kiawah (30 minutes) and Isle of Palms (45 minutes). The bike trails were awesome. Lots to see and do in Charleston.