Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-26-2016, 02:58 PM   #1

Future Florida trip

Looking for some advice planning a future trip to Florida. We need to get the kids to the Everglades and the keys at some point. I'm going to plan the trip, minus the dates, so we can be set with making advance reservations. Thinking that this will either be a post Christmas trip, or a spring break trip.

I am looking for advice on campgrounds near these areas. We are State Park and National Park campers mostly, but stay in private campground when it's the best option location wise. If there are good state parks, we'd prefer that, and if there is a booking window we need to hit the front of to get a reservation.

Here is what I have on the list:

Space center (1 day)
Everglades (couple days)
Keys (work our way through them, stop for a couple days on 2or 3 of them)
Maybe a stop at Fort Wilderness (already been and done the whole Disney thing several times)
Would be looking at 10 days total.

What are good campgrounds near these areas?

Anything I missed that should be a "must see"?
Old 01-26-2016, 03:13 PM   #2
Site Team

The State camp grounds here in Florida are rather difficult to reserve, unless you are lucky. They allow you to reserve sites 11 months in advance if you are lucky.. your best chance not is to keep checking everyday to see if there are any cancellations. Short stays are easier to get than week or 2 week stays.

John Pennenkamp Coral Reef state park should be high on your list if you can get into it. It is at the top of the Keys in Key Largo. Good luck getting in..

John Pennenkamp Coral Reef State Park

About 1/2 way down the keys.. I liked this place.. small and on the beach
https://www.floridastateparks.org/park/Curry-Hammock
Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 05:34 PM   #3

Big Cypress is good place to camp. I've also camped at John Pennekamp, Bahia Honda, both are very nice, just make reservations Early
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 06:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
The State camp grounds here in Florida are rather difficult to reserve, unless you are lucky. They allow you to reserve sites 11 months in advance if you are lucky.. your best chance not is to keep checking everyday to see if there are any cancellations. Short stays are easier to get than week or 2 week stays.

John Pennenkamp Coral Reef state park should be high on your list if you can get into it. It is at the top of the Keys in Key Largo. Good luck getting in..

John Pennenkamp Coral Reef State Park

About 1/2 way down the keys.. I liked this place.. small and on the beach
https://www.floridastateparks.org/park/Curry-Hammock
Don
I am thinking about 1 to 2 years down the road. I figured they would be tough times of the year and i would get guidance on when the reservation window opened. Thanks for the tips. If you have any others, keep em coming!
Old 01-26-2016, 07:03 PM   #5

I'm from the North but been camping in Florida since 2005.

Near Everglades City is Collier Seminole State Park. This one is busy. Right now its closed. Keep an eye on it. As we have been tent camping they can always find us room but for a TT you do need to reserve.
https://www.floridastateparks.org/park/Collier-Seminole

Reserve as far ahead as you can. As its close to Naples and golf its a favorite for long stay RVers.. as long as they can get away with it! I am not sure of the length of stay limitations.

There are a couple of nice RV resorts in Everglades City. I have not stayed in either but have parked my truck at Chokoloskee Island Park. Outdoor Resorts in Chokoloskee seems to be nicer.

Flamingo Campground in the Everglades seems never to be full. But there are limited grocery supplies. There is water there is laundry and showers and full hookups at some sites.

There are a couple of campgrounds that seem to be suited for RV's only ( meaning there is little shade!) in Big Cypress
Campgrounds - Big Cypress National Preserve (U.S. National Park Service)

Well, yah you missed all of Nature Coast above Tampa but that deserves another trip. You have enough on your plate now.
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 08:41 PM   #6

For your Space Center stop you should stay at Jetty Park Campground in Cape Canaveral. It is located on the beach at the mouth of the Port Canaveral inlet. (Sites are not oceanfront).

Jetty Park Campground Home Page | The Official Home of Jetty Park Beach and Campground | Port Canaveral, Florida

I live on Merritt Island, the northern 3/4 of the Island is the Kennedy Space Center & Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge.

If you have any questions about the area let me know.
MIFL19H is offline   Reply With Quote