Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-01-2013, 12:30 PM   #1

Georgia state parks

Starting on the 4th of July and encompasing the following week we will take vacation. Looking at heading into Georgia. Generally prefer state parks over other commercial campgrounds. Want to spend a few days in two different places not more then 300 miles apart, both being not much further north then Atlanta ( coming from Florida).

I prefer the mountain atmosphere and am not worried about long mountain passes or tight roads, with in reason for my rig. If we were near rafting or zip lines tat would be a plus.

Amy recommendations?

1998 Jayco 302fk - all stock except for 3 flat screens and custom queen bed
tcijoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:14 PM   #2

Georgia has some great state Parks. http://www.gastateparks.org F.D.R.state park is a little north of Columbus,Ga. near Pine Mountain. That is a real nice park, and there are some nice places to visit in the area. Callaway Gardens. I haven't been there but take a look at http://www.historicbanningmills.com This is suppose to be a great place for Zip lines South of Atlanta
I hope this helps..
US Army
VN.71-72
RickAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:27 AM   #3

Thank you!

Old 05-23-2013, 09:41 PM   #4

You may want to check out the Lake Lanier area outside of Atlanta. About a dozen different parks around the water, from full resort, Lake Lanier Island Resort to the primitive COE park, War Hill. My extended family and friends have a trip in late July. Reviews will follow.
saintsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:22 AM   #5

There are many mountain camp sites in the NORTH Georgia-ALabama-SC-NC-TN high country. In ALA coming up I59 the first good one you would come to is DESOTO STATE PARK. This is up on LOOKOUT MTN at the FORT PAYNE ALA exit. Only a couple of sharp turns coming up. Just 30 miles north of there on I59 at the TRENTON GA exit is one of our most favorite camp ground CLOUDLAND CANYON STATE PARK. It too is on LOOKOUT MTN with easy access with a couple of sharp turns coming up the mountain. We like to stay on the WEST RIM of the canyon at the park. Coming NORTH out of Atlanta on I75 to Chattanooga TN will put into several nice high country camp sites when you start getting into the mtns of North Georgia. The RV parks all along I75 will be just fine getting into but if you wander off the Interstate going West you can run into some pretty winding mtns roads and sharp loop backs. Another one of my favorites is Cheaha State Park in the Talladega ALA mountains. Its a challenge road however even for my OFF-ROAD POPUP back off the beaten paths coming up from the south but looking at the I20 access doesn't look all that bad for it.....

The RV camp sites around the Dahlonega, GA area are great places too....

I suggest you use this RV PARK REVIEW which has many good links for all the north Georgia camp sites.
http://www.rv-clubs.us/rv_campgrounds.html

Enjoy the high country camp grounds.

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:43 PM   #6

We just booked 4 nights at Vogel state park, anybody ever visited?

Old 09-22-2013, 08:21 AM   #7

Been to Skidaway Island near Savannah, love it 15 minutes to historic area, and 30 or so to beach at Tybee, been there twice, and may do Thanksgiving there, they now have sewer sites!
jstor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcijoe View Post
Starting on the 4th of July and encompasing the following week we will take vacation. Looking at heading into Georgia. Generally prefer state parks over other commercial campgrounds. Want to spend a few days in two different places not more then 300 miles apart, both being not much further north then Atlanta ( coming from Florida).

I prefer the mountain atmosphere and am not worried about long mountain passes or tight roads, with in reason for my rig. If we were near rafting or zip lines tat would be a plus.

Amy recommendations?
I have been to fort mountain state park that's is very nice and F.D.R. state park,I to live in florida. I have always liked ga.
steve76 is offline   Reply With Quote