Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-19-2015, 05:47 PM   #1

Good CG's <10 hours from Jersey

Hey Gang,

Looking to expand my radius next year. We're going down to Ocean Lakes in SC in June. Looking for a nice place to go in August. Preferably north of Jersey, thinking upstate NY, MA, VT, or NH. We figure the weather will still be nice up North, but we won't be roasting like we would be if we went South.

We'd like a nice clean campground, full hookups, roomy, etc. Nice things to do in the area if we did the Enterprise thing would be a plus. Its me, my DW, and two DDs ages 10, 8.

Any good pointers?
Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 11:43 PM   #2

Ocean Lakes is HUGE plan on renting a golf cart to get around... trust me !! The other real drawback to it is no open fires, and you're awning will hit the rv next door, while you bake in the wide open sun. Check out Wild Acres RV Resort in Old Orchard Beach, Me..... NICE place CLEAN and no problems... did I mention cheap as well ?
Fill The Coolers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 12:59 AM   #3

Visit the Canucks

If you are looking for a Northern adventure, try coming North of the border. We just did a week at the Quebec City KOA and had a great time. We did a day touring Old Quebec City and you would swear you just stepped of a plane in historical France, closest you can get to visiting Europe without crossing the pond.

We also did day adventures to Montmorecy Falls (90 feet taller then Niagara and a much closer view) and the St. Anne Gorge which was a great hiking trip.

Other activities include Whale waching in the St. Lawrence and white water rafting if you are so inclined.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 06:11 AM   #4

If not Ocean Lakes in SC, than where should I be?

I don't think I want to get into crossing the border quite yet. Aside from Lake George we really haven't been north of Jersey yet. NY, MA, VT, NH, ME - I'm sure there are lots of places to see and enjoy before I go stamping my passport.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:10 AM   #5

I have not camped yet in this NE area since I usually spend all winter up there skiiing, but here are a few sugestions. White mountains area in NH is beautiful. Mass has Normandy Farms if you want to trek into Boston. Also the Springfield Mass area has some decent CG's in the region and the basketball hall of fame, six flags NE.

Then there is Southern Maine along the coast which is on my radar for a trip within the next year or 2.

If you like racing Watkin's Glenn is coming up in a few weeks, though tough to get a nice CG now this late. After it though the Finger lakes area and the state park gorge is a nice place to visit.

Keep in mind that Aug nights do get colder and it has been below normal in the Adirondacks this season. It's already been hitting the 50's a few nights in July and Aug is usually colder.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 07:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
...snip.. it has been below normal in the Adirondacks this season. It's already been hitting the 50's a few nights in July and Aug is usually colder.
The lower temps keep the mosquitoes in check. The Adirondacks (even inside The Park) have several places to camp. Check Kayuta Lake CG Kayuta Lake Campground - An Adirondack Campground Located in Forestport, NY. Scenic Adirondack-Style Camping on Kayuta Lake (it is a few miles from where we boondock).

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 07:50 AM   #7
Site Team

OK, I'll put in a plug for the Thousand Island region. You need reservations for the State CG's as they fill quick, but several private CG's in the area to choose from.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 09:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
The lower temps keep the mosquitoes in check. The Adirondacks (even inside The Park) have several places to camp. Check Kayuta Lake CG Kayuta Lake Campground - An Adirondack Campground Located in Forestport, NY. Scenic Adirondack-Style Camping on Kayuta Lake (it is a few miles from where we boondock).
That looks like a good one. Gaga ball pit is a easy sell with my crew. They love playing that...thanks for the link.

6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
Old 07-20-2015, 05:38 PM   #9

Hmm...that sounds pretty nice G1. We've crossed into Canada in the past and it was harder to get back into the U.S.than it was to get into Canada. We would do it again in a heart beat.

Jopopsy: Lake George RV Park is not inexpensive but there is a lot to do. The village is a lot of fun, too. My kids always loved loved going there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswald One View Post
If you are looking for a Northern adventure, try coming North of the border. We just did a week at the Quebec City KOA and had a great time. We did a day touring Old Quebec City and you would swear you just stepped of a plane in historical France, closest you can get to visiting Europe without crossing the pond.

We also did day adventures to Montmorecy Falls (90 feet taller then Niagara and a much closer view) and the St. Anne Gorge which was a great hiking trip.

Other activities include Whale waching in the St. Lawrence and white water rafting if you are so inclined.
hbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:39 PM   #10

Cherrystone camping resort is a very nice place, its right on the chessy, at cape Charles. we are going there this Friday for a long weekend.
seaswirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 06:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbravo View Post
Jopopsy: Lake George RV Park is not inexpensive but there is a lot to do. The village is a lot of fun, too. My kids always loved loved going there.
I was actually going to try this place out if I head back up there:

Home - Moose Hillock - NY Moose Hillock – NY

I found Lake George RV park to be clean, well done, spaced nicely, etc. But being right on a main drag I also found it loud. For me, it kind of took away from the experience a bit, but I would return if the above linked didn't work out for me.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:34 AM   #12

Looking at NC now instead of SC given the negative feedback I'm reading about Ocean Lakes. Plus its less of a drive.

I'm considering Camp Hatteras as most of you seem to really like it. Here's a question somebody might be able to answer.

It looks like the most direct way in takes me from Route 13 around Cape Charles over the ocean and into Virginia Beach. Is that route RV friendly?

I'm just starting to branch out for the immediate tri-state area of NJ and I'm not exactly sure yet how to pick a route w/o kicking myself hours in and finding I don't fit or I'm not allowed on a certain road.

???
Old 07-21-2015, 12:46 PM   #13

I've been through Moose Hillock. It is just up the road from Lake George RV. It has big sites and the pool is awesome. My wife did not like the gravel in the sites but I think she was just making an excuse because she really loves LGRV.
hbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 01:04 PM   #14
Site Team

Everyone needs to go to Myrtle Beach and make up their own mind. If you have kids, they will absolutely love it there. Ocean Lakes and the immediate area has gobs of things to see and do.

Hatteras is great also but the kids will run out of things quicker IMO. No real difference in the temps.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 01:05 PM   #15

Depdending on how you go in there are a few restrictions on the feeds you need to be aware of. In Norfolk there are restrictions on most tunnels and the same with CBBT. You must pull off and check your propane is off then proceed.

I95 through Baltimore you cannot use tunnels and must go via Key Bridge.

While I have not been out to OBX yet many of the state hwys in that area are trailer Friendly. I have been down through DE1/113/13/64/17 without any issues. I am sure a member will chime in on the route out to OBX who has been with more details.

Also 64E can be brutal from 295 on certain days/times of the week due to Williamsburg/VA Beach and OBX traffic. This I can tell you from first hand experience. If you have flexibility I would avoid a late Fri/Sat arrival or Sun depart and shoot for a Thurs/Monday. If your on the road before 6:00AM Sunday it's doable. Once 10AM comes and your in the Williamsburg area it's a parking lot pretty much to Fredericksburg then the same through DC.

Same with 13/113. OC feeds into 113 and it's stopped for miles between OC and Dover AFB in the same fashion.

6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
Old 07-21-2015, 01:27 PM   #16

Seems like going up to New England is less stressful from a driving perspective !
Old 07-21-2015, 01:54 PM   #17
Site Team

We have been in Maine once for a week. I would love to go back and spend a couple weeks there.

Making notes on the cg recommendations. We spent our whole week in the Bar Harbor/ Acadia National Park area last time.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 02:30 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
Seems like going up to New England is less stressful from a driving perspective !
It is unless you go west and pick up 81 to southern areas off there. It can be done, just it's a better trip if you can go on off hours/days.

6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
Old 07-21-2015, 03:54 PM   #19

This looked promising: https://snowbirdrvtrails.wordpress.c...te-to-florida/
Old 07-26-2015, 12:43 AM   #20

Under ten hours try cherrystone and camp hatteras. I will be heading to frontier town in ocean city md mext week i have not been their yet myself but everyone i talk to loves it. Also when you head south take rt 113 it is a few miles longer then rt 13 but not as many traffic lights.

Also dont forget omish country in pa lots to do and very scenic i perfer Lake in wood camp ground.
Greyhawk01 is offline   Reply With Quote