Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-17-2014, 07:55 PM   #1

Good places to camp in Washington & Oregon?

Dog friendly preferred.

We are getting ready to finally plan trips with our new TT and our first camping trip since having 2 kids (3yr & 8months). The beach will definitely be one trip just not quite sure where, and we would love to do another down in Oregon to tour Tillamook and Mcminnville to see the air museum.

Anyone have any places they have stayed that you recommend or recommend we stay away from?
Dana86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:44 PM   #2

We love camping at Fort Stevens State park. There are tons of things to do in the park. Lots of trails. We also like Beverly Beach state park is has easy and quick access to the beach. We just got back from Devils Lake State park its a smaller park but its nice. Not too much to do in the park but its in town and close to shops.
Daniel64485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 09:05 PM   #3

La Push campsite is right on the beach. Not the greatest campsite though, but you cant beat the views from the beach. Can be pretty cold by the water though, and baking hot 5 mins drive inland
rodandmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 09:48 PM   #4

One of our favorites is Cape Lookout state park near Tillamook. We spent 11 days there in July. Loved it! Just a quick walk over the berm to the ocean. Sites can be tough to get in the high season (which now goes thru September), especially if you want hook ups. Don't recommend you go without reservations. You mentioned the town and the air museum, also try Oceanside (just up the beach from the park) and the Tillamook creamery for ice cream!!
waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:06 PM   #5

2nd on Beverly Beach SP, HarrisBeach SP, South Beach SP, and they all have clean restrooms.Fort Stevens SP has miles of bike trails just outside your door. All of the Oregon SP are clean and well kept. If you go to FT Stevens try and stay in loop "J" because it's right next to the kids play area. Pull up the map on all these parks and they should show you where the kids play area is located.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 02:37 PM   #6

What about near Pt Townsend? Theres a couple old forts up there we think would be fun to visit, is there any places that are great to stay or places to stay away from? I think Fort Casey (?) has a place right there so a lot of the attractions are in walking distance and town is just a short jaunt.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:34 PM   #7

Penrose point state park between gig harbor and tacoma.
Trails through the woods, grass picnic area.
gravel beach on protected lagoon.
1/2 mile long exposed spit at low tide. EXCELLENT for little ones to explore sea critters.
bald eagles and seals are also visible.

One of our favorite parks.
tjpolsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:04 PM   #8

Most of Washington is a no stay state for me because of Tunce! She's on the list of dogs band in most parks and I can't stay on the Olympic Range for love nor money. But do like Port Townsend and port Angeles and that would be a great place for your family. Believe the Hoh river rain forrest you will get wet but it's just beautiful . The whole Olympic forrest and range is beautiful.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 08-18-2014, 05:25 PM   #9
Site Team

Another vote for capelook out..

Other nice parks include Salt Creek county park near port angeles and Crow Butte Park (now a county park but used to be a state park). This last one is close to wineries and the park is great but it's a long way from everywhere...
Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:40 PM   #10

In Oregon, Fort Stevens KOA is very expencive. $71 a night. Just a heads up. We did stay at Kampers 'West and it is only two miles north and was very nice and reasonably priced.

Newport has a very good aquarium.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
In Oregon, Fort Stevens KOA is very expencive. $71 a night. Just a heads up. We did stay at Kampers 'West and it is only two miles north and was very nice and reasonably priced.

Newport has a very good aquarium.
But directly across the street from the KOA is Fort Stevens SP at half the price or less. The KOA has a nice children's play area and my grand son and I road our bikes across the street and they didn't mind. They do have a small general store too.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:43 AM   #12

We do alot of our camping on Chinook Pass (State Hwy 410 which is west of Yakima).Many nice campgrounds in the Naches District of Wenatchee National Forest. Hwy 410 then goes into Mount Rainier National Park on the Northeast side. On a clear day the views from Tipsoo Lake are incredible. White River CG is a great place to camp near Sunrise Visitors Center. There are so many great places to camp in Washington, we are truly blessed to live here. Have a great trip.
2007 Yamaha Grizzly 400 ATV and Yamaha 2000 watt Genny
Me/retired insurance claims and DW/retired RN.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."-Red Green
dougfir1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougfir1 View Post
We do alot of our camping on Chinook Pass (State Hwy 410 which is west of Yakima).Many nice campgrounds in the Naches District of Wenatchee National Forest. Hwy 410 then goes into Mount Rainier National Park on the Northeast side. On a clear day the views from Tipsoo Lake are incredible. White River CG is a great place to camp near Sunrise Visitors Center. There are so many great places to camp in Washington, we are truly blessed to live here. Have a great trip.
We actually only live about 45min from Mt Rainier so after seeing how people rec your first trip be closer to home, I've been wondering if that might be the way to go. It is close and I've been wanting to hike a trail or two
Old 08-19-2014, 10:38 PM   #14

Dana86
One thing you should be aware of, Oregon and Washington have some very nice places to visit. So, A really large herd of Rvers both local and those coming from afar are gobbling up reservations.

Example: It took me two years to get a reservation into Silver Falls National Park. I had the site picked out that I wanted and soon as the reservation desk opened I was trying to get in. The first year, not knowing any better I just drove up to the gate and asked if they had any openings. The guard said yes, in the over flow parking area. We went some place else that year.

So, pick out where you want to go then have a couple of back up sites also picked out.

bob
Old 08-19-2014, 11:28 PM   #15

I forgot to mention if you camp in the Fort Stevens neighborhood that there is a lot to see and do. The state park is nice but can be hard to get a site at times. Besides Fort Stevens there is Fort Clatsop where Lewis and Clark spent the winter. It is well worth the time to visit there. The Astoria Column is different and offers a view of the Columbia River that is breath taking. Seaside is just a short drive and has a marine aquarium and lots of places for tourists to leave their money. The Tillamook cheese factory is a nice day trip.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote