Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-16-2014, 07:50 PM   #31
I've stayed at two different Jellystone campgrounds, and had two different experiences. The one at Natural Bridge, VA was a very large and spacious park in a beautiful setting. However, to say it was kid friendly would have been a stretch. It was probably 1 or 2 in the morning before we were able to get to sleep because of all the drunks raising cane. It seemed to me that they were allowing a lot of seasonal campers to stay that had parties on the weekends. Maybe that's for you, but it isn't for me. The other one we have stayed at was the one on Music Valley Drive in Nashville, TN. It wasn't nearly as nice as the one in VA, but it was much better managed. I would call it very kid friendly.

All that said, I think you will find that the state parks are your best bet for kids. The private parks are nice, but as another poster said, they are quite expensive and the sites are often very close together. That is especially true for a KOA.

Mike in Tennessee
2007 Crossroads Cruiser CF30QB
(Possible future Jayco Eagle owner)
2008 Ford F250 Lariat 4x4 CC PSD
Firestone Ride Rites
16K slider
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 08:20 PM   #32
I went camping ONE TIME when I was young. It was with a friend and his family, in their pop-up. It was to JS in Sturgeon Bay, WI. It was the only memory I have of camping, since it was my only camping experience. I had so much fun that weekend, and it was 20+ years ago!

My parent's never camped.

I'm now 33yo, and my wife and I decided that we want our child/children, to grow up camping, and experiencing the outdoors. Her parents never camped with her either. We both felt we "missed out" on the experience and memories from what "amping brings.

So, I guess that ONE camping experience, which happened to be at a Jellystone, made me go out and buy a pup, and want to make some memories with my up and coming family.

Now that I have a 1yo DS, I'm more of a State Park camper, than a JS camper. I want my child to grow up camping in "nature"(hiking, beaches, etc), instead of pools, putt putt, and waterparks. I can picture, eventually, camping at JS every once in awhile, just to change it up a bit. I don't want my kids thinking that "going camping" means "going to waterparks and chlorinated swimming pools."

Again, it's a personal preference and to each their own.....(Just don't sit home on your couch all weekend!)

Word of advice to all, or more of a favor to all.....please try and take a "non-camper" with you at some point. Whether it's your friend, your child's friend, or a family member/friend. I was a non-camper when I was young, until a friend's family brought me camping. From that point on, I really wanted to be a "camper", but had to wait another ~20 years until I could do it myself, as an adult. Pay it forward. Who knows, you might even make a non-camper into a camper. Win/Win.

2012 Jayco 17Z
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7
j_shoe99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 08:21 PM   #33
JellyStones the best choice for young kids?

We are at jelly stone in luray va right now. We stayed here last month as well and love it. Full hook up sites are only 85 a night on the weekend this time a year. Actually we only paid 85 for two nights this time because we bought an online voucher that offered half price. I think that is cheap and don't know what calling this place a glam park means. Oh well, we are loving life so everybody have fun wherever u are. We sure are......

2017 JayFlight 28BHBE
2014 JayFlight Swift 264BH (Sold)
2007 GMC 2500 Sierra Classic Crew Cab LBZ Duramax / 6spd Allison
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote