Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-18-2016, 07:59 AM   #11
Kayak or not. There are a couple of good outfitters in Whitehorse that will rent or guide on the Yukon River for day trips.

The Alaska Highway is cool..We tented that time but there are enough RV parks along the route to make camping whatever you want. Liard Hot Springs was really neat ( and hot!)

2012 Honda Ridgeline
2016 195 RB.. 10,500 miles under tires as of today.
Been down many a dirt road in the west. We go where not too many rv'ers go.
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 11:25 AM   #12
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
I am always leery of the construction of a $250 kayak. Pardon me but its a pool toy to be used in pool like water.

Not designed for remote or cold water use. It lacks the safety backups of better constructed inflatables. In the Mediterranean this might not matter.

We did a two month trip with sea kayaks no trailer, and only saw part of what is on your itinerary.. Of course we have to go back to finish the Yukon and go on the Noatak and get to the Seward and Kenai peninsulas. We spend a week in Denali alone.
Modern inflatables are a far cry from a pool toy and are used by may experienced kayakers when they need to be able to pack down the boat to get it to a select lake or river. I also own 2 hard sided plastic kayaks that cost $150 each and are also a far cry from a tub toy. Would I take them on a white water trip? Not on my life but I don't suspect the OP is planning to float the Yukon or other big water. Alaska is a big and wild place but I have routinely seen local guides using blow up pack rafts in some very rough conditions.

Like I said before bring them or rent s/b based on your planned useage.
Would you pack your golf clubs because you think you might play a couple rounds on a trip to Alaska?

Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 07:19 AM   #13
goggle jim and barbs rv adventure. they are in ak now with a truck camper
very Informative

geezerbob is offline   Reply With Quote