Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-06-2016, 04:20 PM   #1

Kennebunkport, ME

So in two weeks we'll be staying here:

Red Apple Campground

Its a few minutes outside of Kennebunkport. What would you guys recommend we do up there for the week? We're up for anything within 45-60 mins of town. We plan on eating at some of the better reviewed restaurants too. Oh, and the campground will bring you steamed lobster right to your site if you place your order early in the AM. They get it right off the boat that morning. Pretty neat.

For those of you familiar with the area, for 8/21 onward is that really 'beach' weather up there? Should we bother packing the chairs and what not? I understand there are some nice beaches up that way, but I also see the average temp is not very 'beachy'. Never been up there before though, so I thought I'd ask.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 04:51 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post

Red Apple Campground

Its a few minutes outside of Kennebunkport. What would you guys recommend we do up there for the week? We're up for anything within 45-60 mins of town. We plan on eating at some of the better reviewed restaurants too. Oh, and the campground will bring you steamed lobster right to your site if you place your order early in the AM. They get it right off the boat that morning. Pretty neat.

For those of you familiar with the area, for 8/21 onward is that really 'beach' weather up there? Should we bother packing the chairs and what not? I understand there are some nice beaches up that way, but I also see the average temp is not very 'beachy'. Never been up there before though, so I thought I'd ask.
  1. Eat lobster.
  2. Eat lobster.
  3. Eat lobster.
  4. Visit the Maine Diner, US1 in Wells, ME, just south of Kennebunk.
  5. Visit lighthouses, especially Portland Head.
  6. L. L. Bean.
  7. Eat more lobster.
Can't speak for the beaches - we don't usually go to Maine for the beaches.

Enjoy!

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 06:32 PM   #3

My wife is from Maine and her additional recommendations are to visit both the (Pres) Bush mansion & Reid State Park, and climb up Mt Washington in NH.

I second the Mt. Washington climb; you can either drive up or take the cog railroad up (boasting the highest peak in the northeast). And I clearly remember occasionally being cold enough in Aug. for a light jacket, more so if you go up the NH Mt.
Old 08-07-2016, 01:19 PM   #4
Site Team

Kennebunkport, ME

We were on the peak of Mt. Washington via the COG rail one year in mid July and it was 45deg and wind blowing about the same as temp. Beautiful and clear view that day.
The beaches in Bar Harbor were crowded but chilly for our southern tastes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 02:18 PM   #5

It can be hot right into Oct
Take a mailboat cruise via Casco Bay Ferry. Or at least the CBL ferry to Peaks island and rent bikes for the four mile shoreside circumnavigation
Wells Diner is for tourists. I don't really like their food
When Pigs Fly is a good pizza place and brewpub in Kittery. Ottos in Portland for pizza. Duckfat in Portland. Eventide in Portland. Portland has 65,000 people and 600 restaurants. It is a foodie town way beyond lobster . Scallops are local. Oysters too
Ride the Eastern Trail Bike trail that currently has a wonderful section from Kennebunk to Portland
Go to Two Lights and get a seaside lobster roll that is horridly overpriced
Go to the Galley in Naples and get a lobster roll that is reasonably priced . It won a Travel Channel Award
It's a local bar no scenery
Go to Harraseeket Lobster Pound. Not the Inn
Go to Winslow Park when you are in Freeport
Go on a kayak tour at LlBean. We know you will be there. Try to avoid rainy days. All you from away tend to bunch up there then
Take a cruise on the Songo Queen in Naples. Rent a seadoo. Take a seaplane ride
Canoe down the Saco River
I'll be home. I can make you free lobster

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 02:23 PM   #6

Reid is a terrific beach. The kids can even jump into the water from a bridge
Popham Beach too
Ebeneezers brewpub in Brunswick
Hiking abounds. Laudholm Preserve in Wells is outstanding
Eat red hot dogs
Maine Wildlife Park in Gray. Wild animals that cannot be returned to the wild for various reasons. Yes there are bear and moose and Eagles.
You may see those and outside the Wildlife park
Bradbury Mountain State Park

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:05 AM   #7

I obviously have to print this all out. Thanks much !

Old 08-08-2016, 10:45 AM   #8

Seems you've already been given lots of ideas but thought I'd add a few more.

Portland Head Light in Cape Elizabeth is a must see. It's just outside Portland and worth the visit.

The Casco Bay Ferry is also a nice idea. It will allow you to see the Portland Harbor and the working waterfront. It's accessed from the Old Port in Portland which has TONS of shops and restaurants. One word of caution - check the cruise ship schedule ahead of time. When a ship is docked the Old Port is crazy with gridlock traffic.

If you go out onto the water it can get chilly so be sure to bring a sweatshirt! It might be 80 degrees onshore but when you go out on the ocean it will seem much cooler!!!! Trust me!

Enjoy your visit!
Ally39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 03:19 AM   #9

If you don't mind the drive there is a great clam bake that is on Cabbage Island. they leave from Boothbay Harbor, we did the clam bake last week. you get a hour boat ride tour and a great feast on the island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post

Red Apple Campground

2011 GMC Serria Ext Cab LB
2012 Jayflight 22FB
edowsfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 09:36 PM   #10

Add the Cape Porpoise Lobster Shack to your lists--just south, and in full view, of the Bush Compound at Kennebunkport. Wonderful, fresh lobster in an authentic old lobster shack.

Nomads at Heart!
MoBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 06:46 AM   #11

So I'm back after a great trip. Thanks to all of you who chimed in. This is what we ended up doing:

Toured downtown Kennebunkport - more tourist oriented than I would have thought
Walked the Marginal Way - see above
Spent an entire day at Laudholm - exactly what I was hoping for !
Visited Bean in Freeport - Glad I went, probably won't do it again though. Got a pic of the kids in front of the big boot.
At a lot of seafood, and a lot of 'lobstah' - the campground lobster delivery was exactly as advertised. We also ate at HB Provisions, Federal Jack's, and Mabel's Lobster Claw. All good.

If we go back I want to check out the lobster cruises and the Casco Bay ferry. We didn't get to head out for those due to the company we were with. I also want to kayak w/ Bean, but again the company/family we were with held us back there.

Old 08-29-2016, 07:22 AM   #12

I can't believe I didn't see anyone recommend an Italian sandwich from Amato's. They're not as good as they used to be 40 years ago but what is, right?

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote