Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-01-2013, 11:25 AM   #1

Lake George, NY - trying to pick a CG

I know a few fellow members have recommended one or the other of these in the past; hoping you can give some input. We have a week off in August and have been trying to decide where we want to go, as we were too late in making a decision and missed out on our location of choice in Tupper Lake.

We're now trying to decide between the Lake George RV Park and the Adirondack Camping Village. Both are in Lake George, one is larger, pricier and has more amenities than the other. Price isn't a deal breaker since we're only staying about 4 nights. I'm kind of more interested in what the sites are like at each. We need a moderate amount of room and we don't like camping in a field. Lots of trees and some privacy are nice. I've checked out trip advisor and it seems like each facility has both positives and negatives, so any help that can be offered in helping us decide would be welcome.

Also - I think we might check out the Rodeo/BBQ in Lake Luzerne as well. Worth it?

Karen, Scott, our daughers (6 and 9), and Finley (Finn) the wonder lab.

2013 Jayco Jayfeather X23B
2001 Viking 2485ST pop up
southpaw211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:50 AM   #2

I have been going to Lake George RV park for the last 2 years and am booked for this upcoming one too. I have to say that it is a very nice park and raises the bar on others you will visit. Some sites can be tight, but on average they are good sized. Depending on what you want they can provide a site in full sun or under cathedral pines. The 3 pools are all heated and one is indoor for the rainy days. Free movies every night, one PG or G and one PG-13 in 2 theaters as well as very good live entertainment at 8PM everynight. All the roads are paved and there are extensive bike trails surrounding the park and all the way to LG Village. Your site will be cinder in most cases unless you pick a parking lot space that is paved.

Inside the park there are trolleys taking you to all the various points, town and activities which you need to use at night if you don't want to take your car. They have propane and firewood delivery to your site as well.

This park is on the south side of town and closest to The Great Escape and Queensbury for supplies. There is quite a bit of traffic in the area during certain (most) times of the day. I did not venture into the ACV yet but might check it out and compare this season as a alternative should we ever need one.

We were close on the Rodeo but just did not make it there. It's about 20-25 mins from either.

Another great attraction during late July and Aug is Saratoga race track. Bring you cooler, folding chairs and/or blanket for a great family day at the races.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:47 PM   #3

Thanks for the input. Sounds like the amenities really make it worthwhile to stay there. Love the idea of paved trails for biking as my girls are still small and gaining bike confidence. Gravel can be tricky at times for them still. The movies and trolley make it sound like a winner as well. There was a time where we stayed away from anything that wasn't extremely remote for camping, but as the kids have gotten older we've realized that for them to enjoy camping as much as we do, we've got to give them a playground and someplace to ride a bike. Apparently 8 year olds don't like to spend the day reading in a hammock.

I've never been to the horse races at Saratoga, but have been to plenty of concerts at SPAC over the years. We might have to check that out at some point. I love the village of Saratoga Springs. They have a great Irish shop there.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:51 PM   #4

I've never been to the other CG but we were so pleased with Lake George RV park that we reserved another 6 nights this summer. Lots of trees in the whole park, lots of shade. We can only give the park an idea of where about we'd like to reserve likes/dislikes but cannot reserve specific site. Once there, if you don't like the site, ask to get it changed. They are accommodating.
The bike / walk trails are all paved and cleaned of debris regularly. Walking one day, some workers where cleaning the debris off the trail with leaf blowers!
The RV park is beautifully landscaped including a gazebo, ponds, baseball diamond, tennis court etc...and there is tons to do.
Our preference was the 400 loop in the east side of the campground but anything in the east side is also great. check out their site map online LGRV park
https://3dogsandacamper.tumblr.com
Boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:10 PM   #5

Now I'm really getting sold. We're going to sit down together and check it out again tonight. Boubou - I love your tumblr page! We feel the same about our dog (and prior to this past year, dog(s)) , so I appreciate the "just a dog" passage and the dog quotes. Also, living in the middle of NY, your photos are all familiar places to us. I haven't stayed at Association Island, though I've heard of it. And we've camped at Wakins Glen for Vintage Weekend two years in a row. My inlaws live about 20 minutes from the racetrack.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:40 PM   #6

That's great! The camping is mostly all about the dogs. We don't like to leave them behind too much so we've decided to do this and we love it!
We've only been at Association Island twice and loved it (both time during Canadian Thanksgiving). I suspect this place gets pretty busy during the summer. There's also a marina attached to it.
There's a few pics taken at LGRV park on the blog.
Again, I don't know about the other CG but we LOVE this one.
Hey! we camped at Watkins Glen this Vintage weekend. We were in the back where the big rigs are, beside the KOA huts.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:07 PM   #7

That's funny! We were straight back, directly across from the bathrooms. Our little 23b, sandwiched between all the 5'ers. My husband is a big car geek, so he had to get there at the crack of dawn and scope the whole place out to get just the right view. The year before we were on a straightaway so it wasn't as interesting. I'll have to check out Association Island - we're looking for some easy places to get to for Friday night - Sunday trips and Henderson is definitely doable. We're hoping our new pup enjoys camping as much as our old girls did. I figure labs are predisposed to swimming and hiking by nature!

Old 04-16-2013, 07:03 PM   #8

lake george rv park i hear is great...we are staying at alpine lake for the first time...a little south of lake george. if you are looking for something up north, Lake Harris is fantastic and has lake front sites...beautiful and pristine. one of our favorites

2007 Jay Feather Sport 218

2007 Honda Ridgeline
jaycojones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:43 PM   #9

Just got back from Alpine Lake Rv Resort....granted it was a huge place, you will need bikes or a golf cart if you are not staying near the pools. My daughter loved the pools...it has 2, one for the big kids with a deep end and another thats 2 ft deep on one end and 3 ft deep on the other, really great for babies, toddlers and parents that want to chill. The beach was beautiful...2 lakes, many people just bought big tubes or floats to float around in. Many activities...the only thing is its super crowded, space wise...i like more privacy...but with full hookups it made our first camping trip awesome... i think next time we will stay for 7 days so we can book a lake front site...we were lake view but once our neighbors came we couldnt see anything but a pick up truck

2007 Jay Feather Sport 218

2007 Honda Ridgeline
jaycojones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:52 PM   #10

We have been staying at Alpine Lake for the last ten years. Four of those years it was family owned, now corporate owned. Since the corporation took over, there have been very few upgrades other than the price. It is still a very nice place. However, they need to upgrade the playgrounds and some other amenities. The pools and lakefront was upgraded prior to the sale. It is about 25 minutes from LG and about 15 from Saratoga both of which they provide a shuttle service to.

If you have never been to Saratoga, you need to see it. It is a great little city. Great places to eat and shop. And if you are going in August, the horses are running at the oldest track in the country! Labor Day Weekend they have a street fair you should check out as well. A day at the track is great for the entire family. And one of my top Italian Resturants is in Saratoga of all places. And I live among some of the finer Italian Places being in NY. It is called Pennells on Jefferson St just off of Crescent St.. You will thank me later.

I am giving Alpine Lake one more year. If they do not improve their amenities, I am giving the CG they are building down the road from LGRVP a try. It will be open next season. Not sure of the name though. Do not get me wrong, Alpine Lake is a nice and safe place. We have had a lot of fun there. My kids love it, that says it all. But from an adults standpoint, going there for the last 7 years without even a paint job is little ridiculous. I just remember it when it was better taken care of. It is run by Encore, which should be familar to you if you camp enough. I understand they are having financial difficulties. And the seasonals are not very happy with them. The people that work there are very nice. They do their best to keep it clean. Obviously the family owned and operated parks are much better cared for because it is theirs. Remember I have been going there a long time. And I would not take my family to a trailer park. Nice families and a ton of kids. As stated, it is big so bikes are a must. Give it a try. It is a lot cheaper to stay there than it is in LG itself. Also it is not too far from Lake Lazerne. Have fun.
Shogunles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:10 PM   #11

Association Island is a great park. We satyed there about 5 years ago. Although we did not know the season did not start there until the end of June early July. There were only 5 other campers there!. But we had full use of the park. Just watch your awning because the winds do pick up some off of the lake. Alexandria Bay is worth the hour or so drive from Henderson. I will never forget that boat ride along the St. Lawrence. It was absolutely beautiful. If you have kids, there is not much to do outside of the park. So it may be worth only staying there a few days in that case. We tied that stay in with a stay in Niagara Falls. Which is another must do.
Shogunles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:01 PM   #12

Lake George, NY - trying to pick a CG

Going to LGRV park on Tuesday for 6 nights
Really looking forward to it
Old 10-16-2013, 03:32 PM   #13

So Southpaw, did you end up going to Lake George in August? We're planning a trip August 2014 and I'm currently researching CG's. I personally can't see spending so much for LGRV park though so I am very torn.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:03 PM   #14

Another choice

I usually don't suggest what others should do on their vacations, BUT this time I'll make an exception. There is a campground near Lake George that I found last year and I loved it. It's in a town of Warrensburg and very near to Interstate 87.

http://www.warrensburgtravelpark.com/

Give this place a chance and see what I'm talking about. Under new management (as of last year) and they are trying HARD. The activities were good and my grandaughter had a ball!
mike12110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 04:29 PM   #15

Check out moose hillock. They are brand new in the lake George area, and their NH park is amazing. Hoping to make a trip to the new location this upcoming season.

2013 White Hawk 28 DSBH
2011 Jay Feather X23J (traded-in)
2011 Ford F-150 XLT w/towing package
RoadMaster Active Suspension
Reese Trunnion Bar WDH w/Dual Cam sway control
jdorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 06:33 PM   #16

Lake George RV park is very nice. It is $$$. The shows are great, the park is very very clean. Indoor pool, 2 outdoor pools. The kids love it. There is a trail the you can ride bikes down to the town. Ride back is up hill but it's worth it.