Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-09-2014, 11:19 AM   #1

Last Trip of 2014

My son and I will head out early Saturday morning for Salt Fork Lake State Park in Ohio. There is a section of the park for dogs; there is a section of beach for dogs. So, we'll walk every morning and give the dog a real good run and swim.

Our plan is to visit The Wilds; I call it the Backwards Zoo because the animals roam around free and you get to see them by riding along in a bus.

Last trip this year due to school for children and cold temperatures. Al good things come to an end some time, I guess.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:33 PM   #2
Site Team

We visited the WILDS last summer it is a neat place. That close to home and didnt even no it Was there. Try the zip line there it was alott of fun.

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 02:16 PM   #3

Thought I would post an update from our trip this weekend. All that we will do now with the trailer is clean, winterize, and store away until next spring.

My older son and I spent the three days of this past weekend (Sat, Sun, Mon) at Salt Fork State Park in Ohio. We were in the F loop of the campground. We had a water/electric/sewer hookup. Our loop in the campground had few trees – almost all of the sites were in the open. The sites are reasonably spaced, however, and you were not uncomfortably close to your neighbors. The pads were asphalt strips and reasonably level. We did not use the bath houses, but stopped in one as we were walking by and it appeared clean and well-maintained.

The state park itself was very nice. Everything appeared to be maintained well. We hiked the trails which began at the campground we put together around an eight mile walk for one morning. There is a small dog park where dogs can swim in the lake. It would be nice if the dog park was larger – it is quite small.

We walked through the lodge and golf course areas – these looked really nice, even though we did not use them. We did not use the beach or go boating on the lake, either. There were a large number of boats in the campground and people fishing.
The leaves were changing color and dropping while we were there – very nice fall countryside.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:19 PM   #4

WVDusty:

We had our dog with us when we went to The WILDs. They would not let us stay - it was a cool day (under 60 degrees) and they would not let us stay with the dog in the truck.

So, we wandered about the AEP ReCreation lands and did some hiking and looking around. Some really cool country.

We really like the WV state parks. The ones we have been to have really nice campgrounds and the facilities are always well-ordered and clean.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:06 PM   #5
Site Team

Salt Fork is Ohio's largest state park (20,181 acres (81.67 km2)). It takes about 10 minutes to get from the entrance to the campground or lodge. The CG is unusual for a SP the sense that it has some FHU campsites.

I've camped there and have also stayed at the lodge in winter. If you're into wine tasting, Salt Fork is a nice base to work out of to visit the numerous wineries in the area.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 06:21 PM   #6
Lost in the Woods

Last trip of the season? Shoot, we are just getting started. The DW of I think the best camping all year is in the fall and early winter. We don't shut it down until after Xmas. Of course we tow to Key West every year for Xmas but we love the snow in the Mountains just before.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote