Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-04-2015, 09:37 AM   #1

Maryland to National Parks in CO,WY,MT etc..

I am an outdoor loving soon to be 48 year old women taking our 4 kids on a cross country RV trip. Three daughters 15,14,12 and our son 9. My hubby will be flying to various locations to spend time with us but will not make the majority of the trip I am leaving Maryland on June 14 and first camping reservation is:

June 21-22 (2 nights) Great Sand Dunes NP-CO

June 23-26 (4 nights) Prospectors CG in Canon City CO We plan on rafting, train ride, giant swing and all of the other fun things to do around Royal Gorge.

June 27-30 (4nights) Boyd Lake state park-Hubby is flying into Denver airport from Maryland to enjoy a few days with the family-I'll also have somebody to drink a beer with I think I'll need it!

July 1 Hubby is flying out of Denver airport and 78 y.o mother is flying in to spend the next several weeks with us (78 but in great shape-totally mobile) great-now I have 5 kids

July 1-5 (5 nights) Rocky Mountain NP staying at Winding River CG (Grand Lake)

July 6 drive from RMNP to Grand Tetons 498 miles-didn't want to try to make it to Tetons in one day-will spend the night somewhere

July 7-10 (4 nights) Grand Tetons Colter Bay CG

July 11-14 (4 nights) Yellowstone staying at Fishing Bridge

July 15-18 (4 nights) Yellowstone RV park in Gardiner MT

July 19 drive from Gardiner MT to West Glacier 417 miles-didn't want to push it to West Glacier in one day-will spend the night somewhere

July 20-22 (3 nights) Glacier NP staying at Fish Creek CG (west Glacier)

From West Glacier we want to head North to Banff and Jasper NP don't know how long we want to stay or what CG. Suggestions please!! After visiting Banff and Jasper my mom will fly out of Calgary back to Maryland. Hubby may fly into Calgary-(ahh another beer) and drive back to Maryland with us. I just need to have the kids home by August 16th so they can get ready for school to start on the 24th
Any tips or suggestions for Banff and Jasper? From Banff/Jasper to Maryland any "must see" area's or routes?

I know there are many experienced travelers out there-Have I forgotten anything? I welcome any suggestion or comments you may have!

Here's our set up:
2015 Jayco Redhawk 31xl
2014 GMC Acadia-dingy
debra1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 02:36 PM   #2

Debra,

I cannot offer any advice, but I am insanely jealous! I would love to take a trip like that.

I hope your kids understand how awesome this trip is and how lucky they are!!

My only suggestion is (since I notice you have a 2015 model) is that you dedicate some camping time pre-trip to find and work out any trouble that may lurk.

Have fun and PLEASE keep us posted of how the trip is going.
LkptRvPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 02:51 PM   #3

Debra: About 30 yrs. ago I took my two children on a cross country trip. No camper we had a pickup truck with a cap on the back. My kids are now well in their 30's and they still speak of that trip as the adventure of a lifetime. It was, and I could go on for pages.

One suggestion, and I don't want to sound like Donnie Downer.... When in campgrounds, parks etc. Don't advertise that you are traveling alone with three teenage daughters and a pre-teen son. We met a lot of wonderfully nice people on our adventure. We also met a few weirdo's.

Another suggestion...when you get around Wyoming...notice how bright the stars are. They call it big sky country for a reason.

That's it I'm going to stop with that.
Doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 03:06 PM   #4

LkptRvPilot,
We took delivery of our 2015 Redhawk May 2014. We put 2,700 miles on it last summer! Thankfully only a few minor adjustments-screen door, shades and a few cabinet doors needed to be tightened-nothing major. I love Jayco!!!

Thanks for the well wishes!! Every time I mention the trip to my kids (except our son) I get the "teenage eye rolls!" I keep telling them it will be great and we'll have a trip of a lifetime but ...... you guessed it more "teenage eye rolls!" LOL
debra1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 07:32 AM   #5

Talking

I am doing the opposite and going to fishing bridge from7/12-16 then to Colter bay From 16-19. Two kids, daughter 14 very happy, son 16 but I want to hang with my friends. Told him it's only 2 weeks but it's more like 3. We plan on doing other stops but just going with the flow. It's a long drive from Long Island.