Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-16-2016, 05:06 PM   #1

Moose Hillock Cape Ann/ Lake George NY

We just spent the 1st week of August at Moose Hillock near Lake George NY. I've been in the area years ago with a bunch of guys on bikes, but this was our first family camp vacation in the area.This campground is the 2nd owned by the family. The first is in the White Mtns of NH. We have been to the NH one many times, and decided to try this 2 or 3 year old sister campground out. WOW. This campground was carved out of a blank canvas and they obviously took all that they learned from the first and put it into the second. Huge level and very private sites, amazing pool, excellent and friendly service from everyone we encountered. Lake George area has plenty to do as well. From lake activities, to outlet shopping, to historic forts, etc. It's a great combination of a lake valley, surrounded by beautiful mountains and rolling farmland roads. Whether you're retired, bunkhouse full of kids, or young tenters, there is a ton to do.
jschimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 06:47 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschimm View Post
We just spent the 1st week of August at Moose Hillock near Lake George NY. I've been in the area years ago with a bunch of guys on bikes, but this was our first family camp vacation in the area.This campground is the 2nd owned by the family. The first is in the White Mtns of NH. We have been to the NH one many times, and decided to try this 2 or 3 year old sister campground out. WOW. This campground was carved out of a blank canvas and they obviously took all that they learned from the first and put it into the second. Huge level and very private sites, amazing pool, excellent and friendly service from everyone we encountered. Lake George area has plenty to do as well. From lake activities, to outlet shopping, to historic forts, etc. It's a great combination of a lake valley, surrounded by beautiful mountains and rolling farmland roads. Whether you're retired, bunkhouse full of kids, or young tenters, there is a ton to do.
This campground has been on my short list of places to hit. Perhaps next year. The pictures online look great - glad a forum member was able to check it out. We stayed at Lake George RV Park a couple years back.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 09:18 PM   #3

Good to hear. Last weekend we took a motorcycle ride around Lake George. It was my first trip up there, and now DW and I can't wait to take the kids and camp there.

Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 09:24 PM   #4

We were there in early July and I can't find a bad thing to say about it. We are going back to Lake George this weekend but are staying at Lake George RV Park because some friends and family made reservations for us.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 06:07 AM   #5

Off topic but can somebody post instructions on how to get the customized US map / states visited picture in their signature?

Old 08-17-2016, 06:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
Off topic but can somebody post instructions on how to get the customized US map / states visited picture in their signature?
Try this thread:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f2...map-34705.html

Old 08-17-2016, 06:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Force View Post
Thanks !

Old 08-17-2016, 08:32 PM   #8

I just wish the stone areas were paved or grass. It would be easier for the kids to ride bikes, etc. It is a nice park.

Would you recommend the one in NH? We are heading that way next year.
hbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 07:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Thanks for the info, we've been looking for somewhere to go up there. About how many sites are there? Does everyone run around on golf carts?
Old 08-18-2016, 08:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbrusie View Post
Thanks for the info, we've been looking for somewhere to go up there. About how many sites are there? Does everyone run around on golf carts?
In addition to this park there is Lake George RV Park just up the street from Moose Hillock. It is another large, pricey resort-type well-rated park. There are several smaller places, also.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:29 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbravo View Post
I just wish the stone areas were paved or grass. It would be easier for the kids to ride bikes, etc. It is a nice park.

Would you recommend the one in NH? We are heading that way next year.
I have only stayed there once and it was in a tent probably 10 years ago. I know it's in a great area not too far from a lot of White Mountain attractions, and the pool is awesome. I just can't remember the RV section itself.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:43 AM   #12

Thank you.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Thanks for the info ! We're staying at Lake George RV Park now, think we'll take a ride over there and check it out
Future Projects : Kitchen faucet w pulldown sprayer DONE , bathroom faucet and shower head DONE, dimmer for awning lights DONE, Clear door window kit DONE, internal&external fridge fans DONE
denn888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 11:00 AM   #14

All in all I like Moose Hillock Lake George. There are a few items to be aware of. First, the roads are not paved and have rather large stones and kick up a lot of dust, so be prepared. While the pool is beautiful, it lacks any depth for the older kids to better enjoy. WiFi is not available at your site, however I am told that near the pool that service is available. Finally, the shows are outside. Again, not an issue however if you're used to LGRVP, you will miss the indoor air conditioned show.

As for the sites however, they are awesome! Very private and large. Most have good shade and are semi-level, you will likely need leveling boards for the wheels.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 10:18 AM   #15

Yes, very much so. Less gravel, more hard packed dirt, as this campground is an older one. Also great pool, great local stuff to do. My kids have more fun swimming in the river just outside the entrance at the bottom of the hill.
jschimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 03:30 PM   #16

For anybody who has been here, do you guys recommend renting a golf cart? We’ve never been here before, but are going the 2nd week of July.

Old 06-04-2020, 05:44 AM   #17

In general I would say yes, but it depends. Most of the activities, pool, store etc are centrally located near the park entrance. The park is large and hilly. If your site is a distance away from the entrance and you use those facilities then renting a golf cart is really handy. If you're closer to the entrance, or don't need to use the pool, store, etc then you won't benefit from a cart unless you just like them.

There is parking near those locations, but it's usually better to drive up in a cart than a big honking pickup truck.

I haven't checked recently, but there were age restrictions, so if you have younger drivers they may not be able to drive the cart.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 05:46 AM   #18

They told me on the phone they gave me 616 - which is in the back. Thanks !

Old 04-17-2021, 07:53 AM   #19

Any problem getting a 40 ft TT with a 20 ft tow vehicle in there
newsleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 10:17 AM   #20

Let them know what you are coming in with but no, the sites are large.