Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-01-2013, 07:10 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to Metalbox
NC SC beach camping...

The wife and I are looking for campgrounds on the beach in nc & sc.. Any recommendations? Prefer as close to the beach as possible and must have electric and water.. We have a seasoned camper aged 5 month old that loves camping. Lol he really loves camping.
Thanks
Metalbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:28 PM   #2

Apache Campground; Pirateland; Ocean Lakes. All in myrtle beach, SC area

2011 Jayco 31FK, Ford, Class C
2009 Honda CRV - Toad
Blue Ox Tow Bar
Invisibrake
Outdoor Kitchen Mod
Bobsanchez44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:33 PM   #3

NC SC beach camping...

Thanks bob. Anything for nc?
Old 08-01-2013, 08:45 PM   #4

Re: NC SC beach camping...

I would add the SC State Parks to that as well. We've only stayed @ Myrtle Beach State Park, but I have heard/read good things about most of them, and they're priced well for a budget.

As for NC beaches, I'd like to hear others thoughts as well. We love the OBX but haven't "camped" there yet. I would give strong consideration to Camp Hatteras though...
Old 08-02-2013, 05:17 AM   #5

Metalbox,
Just returned from Camp Hatteras last week. Highly highly recommend it. We were on the "Premium Ocean" sites, and it was literally a 40 second walk to make it to the beach. There is also a baby pool for the little one, if that interests you.

There is a ice cream shop right next door (2 minute walk). You have to try their ice cream (and fudge!). Pizza across the street.
You can also rent cars, jeeps, and golf carts while you are there.
LkptRvPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:01 AM   #6

I don't know of any on the beach in NC...

2011 Jayco 31FK, Ford, Class C
2009 Honda CRV - Toad
Blue Ox Tow Bar
Invisibrake
Outdoor Kitchen Mod
Bobsanchez44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:37 AM   #7

Hatteras rocks.....
Old 08-02-2013, 07:48 AM   #8

NC SC beach camping...

Thanks LkptRvPilot. I'll check it out!
Old 08-02-2013, 04:04 PM   #9

The Myrtle Beach area has at least 4 private campgrounds right on the beach. PirateLand(where I stay), Ocean Lakes, and Lakewood are all in the south of Myrtle Beach, almost next to each other. Apache is in North Myrtle Beach. There are also 2 state parks in the Myrtle Beach area. Those fill quickly. All have websites to allow you to check them out.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:51 AM   #10

NC SC beach camping...

I've tent camped at pirate land when I was in my early 20's... Lots of good times lol. We will prob revisit pirate land again soon. Just looking for new ideas. Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions!
Old 08-03-2013, 08:31 AM   #11
Site Team

Camp Hatteras, Cape Hatteras KOA and Ocean Waves Campground are all ocean front properties and located in the Rodanthe/Waves/Salvo area of Hatteras Island. However, these campgrounds are "pricey" with Ocean Waves being the cheapest of the three.

Unless you're planning to camp after Labor Day, your biggest challenge might be just getting a reservation this late in the season, especially for the premium beach-front sites that some campgrounds offer.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:10 AM   #12

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01581.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	9261

We stayed at the KOA in Rodanthe and this is the view from 3 rows back from the dunes,which right over top and to the bottom of them dunes is the beach......It was great for me cause I had my 2 grand children with me...It was a nice place that gave very easy access to the beach,and it was very very quiet...
Old 08-03-2013, 03:54 PM   #13

Myrtle Beach Travel Park in North Myrtle has ocean sites that are right behind the dunes.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:21 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrumfield View Post
Myrtle Beach Travel Park in North Myrtle has ocean sites that are right behind the dunes.
Discovered myrtle beach travel park a few years ago after being lifers at pirateland. Very very nice place, tons of activities for the kids to do every day all day, two pools (indoor and outdoor), lazy river, restaurant on site, nice fishing lake, beach front sites, in the woods sites, anything in between. Picnic shelters on the beach front sites for a little shade during high noon... WiFi, cable, very nice bath houses, the list goes on.
The big thing for us was they don't allow golf carts unless you are handicapped or own a permanent site. After nearly being run over by teenagers on golf carts during the 11:00pm golf cart parade at pirateland on 2 separate occasions over 2 years, we gave up on that place. We will never go back to pirateland, ocean lakes is too crowded with no shelters for a little shade... Give it a try, you won't be disappointed...
Milehi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:43 PM   #15

As has been mentioned Camp Hatteras is a great stay. It meets all of your criteria. There are advantages to either sound side or ocean side. We highly recommend the ocean side premium sites. You won't be disappointed.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:39 PM   #16

Camp Hatteras, been there 2 times and love it. heading back it 2014.
WELLCRAFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:40 PM   #17

Camp Hatteras, love it, been there 2 times and heading back in 2014
WELLCRAFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:47 AM   #18

Stayed/been to all MB area campgrounds and heres my thoughts..

State parks are nice (MB State Park/Huntington Beach) but can be booked out really quick durring the summer months and most dont have sewer hook-up at the site. Ocean Lakes is beyond CRAZY, way too many sites, tight roads/sites, kids going crazy in golf carts, and traffic is always clogged coming/going into this place (couldnt pay me to stay there). Lakewood is my prefered CG but I want to say has a min couple night stay and is a bit more a night than my second pick which is Pirateland. Both Lakewood and Pirateland I feel arnt as congested as Ocean lakes and at the sites you have a bit more room from the neighboring site. Pirateland has wood shelters over the picnic tables on the sites closer to the beach which is a plus. We stayed at Apache last year and wasnt impressed that much but did like the pier access. The pool was rather small and crowded not to mention the water was really cloudy . MB Travel isnt too bad but I think they also have a min night stay. Stay away from MB KOA, found it to be not really clean in general and the park backs up to a sketchy residential part of town. Drove through Cypress Camp ground and is VERY clean (new CG and top ranked by good sam) but the advertised waterway camping is a bit overstated as there is a small cypress stump filled "beach front" area along the interacoastal waterway but unfortunally the water is like coffee and stains everything it touches not to mention the boat traffic/wake makes it hard to enjoy. Tabor City NC Jellystone CG is about a 35min drive to NMyrtle Beach and is very clean/nice if you have kids and want to stay away from the beach traffic but not too far. Not to be so negative on some CG's but these are MY experiences/observations over the years. We've lived here since early 90's and visited/camped every year here since the 70's.
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:35 AM   #19

NC SC beach camping...

Thanks exjay1!
Old 08-06-2013, 10:39 AM   #20

NC SC beach camping...

Has anyone stayed at Surf City Family Campground? If so thoughts & concerns.